Tikka T3X Lite, Compact, or Roughtech - Compliment to AR10?

COGuy99

FNG
So last year I went down a bit of a rabbit hole building a super lite 308 AR style rifle.

2A Arms Xanthos Receiver set, JP LMOS BCG and Buffer setup, Faxon 18” Pencil Barrel, and Brigand Arms Noax Carbon handguard are the highlights. Shoots really well, and the JP LMOS system is sweet (quite reasonable on recoil). It’s under 6 lbs naked too.

Add magazine, 5 rounds, sling, rings and it’s up to 7.5lbs. With a lightweight scope (VX5HD 3-15x or a Delta Stryker 1-6x lvpo it’s up to about 8.7” lbs all in.

It’s a great weight. The one thing I didn’t really think about though is the size is still large compared to a traditional bolt action gun, and the accuracy isn’t quite as good either. I was going to do a POF Revolution DI, but ended up shying away because of all the proprietary parts - but in hindsight was more compact and may have been better for hunting.

Packing mine in the backcountry seems less than ideal (I did not do any long backcountry hunts last year though, but I’d like to). It’s still really fun to shoot at the range so I’m still happy with the build, and I’ve been shooting AR’s a lot this year so I am pretty comfortable with them. Good for shorter or easier hunts, no problem. If I ever hunt in Grizz country I’d probably feel better carrying that on a sling than a bolt action or relying on my 10mm sidearm haha. I may also consider throwing on a longer, heavier barrel for any longer range hunting where I don’t have to hike much and can set myself up well.

Anyways, I think I want to get a dedicated hunting rifle. I mostly hunt deer in NorCal, but have a lot of family back in CO and will probably move back, so deer, elk, and prong horn are all target hunts when I’m back there.

I’d like to keep the rifle chambered in 308 to keep it the same as the AR. I’m also a newer shooter and pretty new to hunting (only my second season) so less recoil is appreciated. At the moment I only shoot factory loads, and have to use less Free in California which is annoying.

I’ve settled on the Tikka T3X lite pretty much. Just debating now on whether I want the compact version or normal version. Unfortunately I cannot use a suppressor in CA, but if I ever move I’d likely cut the barrel down and thread it for one. I may get a clamp on muzzle brake or thread the barrel in the mean time though. I always wear electronic ear pro.

Any thoughts? Compact has a shorter pull and 20” barrel, which seems nice for packing the rifle. But not sure it really makes much of a difference in the bush and if I should just get the 22” normal lite version, which I could always cut down if I really wanted. I’m planning on SS. I’ll also get a limbsaver recoil pad.

Not sure if the Roughtech is something I should look at too? Since I’m planning on a brake and SS already, I think the roughtech has a better recoil pad too so maybe the limbsaver isn’t needed? Might not end up being any more expensive

Input appreciated! I’m pretty much splitting hairs at this point.

Unless you are tall, I'd go with the compact T3x in .308. Length of pull for most rifles is too long for the average shooter. If you wear ear protection all the time, chop the barrel at 16 inches, add a brake while in Cali, and enjoy packing your nimble rifle.

If you relocate to CO, toss the brake and add a suppressor. I think you'd be very happy with that package.

Unckebob

WKR
So last year I went down a bit of a rabbit hole building a super lite 308 AR style rifle.

2A Arms Xanthos Receiver set, JP LMOS BCG and Buffer setup, Faxon 18” Pencil Barrel, and Brigand Arms Noax Carbon handguard are the highlights. Shoots really well, and the JP LMOS system is sweet (quite reasonable on recoil). It’s under 6 lbs naked too.

Add magazine, 5 rounds, sling, rings and it’s up to 7.5lbs. With a lightweight scope (VX5HD 3-15x or a Delta Stryker 1-6x lvpo it’s up to about 8.7” lbs all in.

It’s a great weight. The one thing I didn’t really think about though is the size is still large compared to a traditional bolt action gun, and the accuracy isn’t quite as good either. I was going to do a POF Revolution DI, but ended up shying away because of all the proprietary parts - but in hindsight was more compact and may have been better for hunting.

Packing mine in the backcountry seems less than ideal (I did not do any long backcountry hunts last year though, but I’d like to). It’s still really fun to shoot at the range so I’m still happy with the build, and I’ve been shooting AR’s a lot this year so I am pretty comfortable with them. Good for shorter or easier hunts, no problem. If I ever hunt in Grizz country I’d probably feel better carrying that on a sling than a bolt action or relying on my 10mm sidearm haha. I may also consider throwing on a longer, heavier barrel for any longer range hunting where I don’t have to hike much and can set myself up well.

Anyways, I think I want to get a dedicated hunting rifle. I mostly hunt deer in NorCal, but have a lot of family back in CO and will probably move back, so deer, elk, and prong horn are all target hunts when I’m back there.

I’d like to keep the rifle chambered in 308 to keep it the same as the AR. I’m also a newer shooter and pretty new to hunting (only my second season) so less recoil is appreciated. At the moment I only shoot factory loads, and have to use less Free in California which is annoying.

I’ve settled on the Tikka T3X lite pretty much. Just debating now on whether I want the compact version or normal version. Unfortunately I cannot use a suppressor in CA, but if I ever move I’d likely cut the barrel down and thread it for one. I may get a clamp on muzzle brake or thread the barrel in the mean time though. I always wear electronic ear pro.

Any thoughts? Compact has a shorter pull and 20” barrel, which seems nice for packing the rifle. But not sure it really makes much of a difference in the bush and if I should just get the 22” normal lite version, which I could always cut down if I really wanted. I’m planning on SS. I’ll also get a limbsaver recoil pad.

Not sure if the Roughtech is something I should look at too? Since I’m planning on a brake and SS already, I think the roughtech has a better recoil pad too so maybe the limbsaver isn’t needed? Might not end up being any more expensive

1) Why not buy a rifle threaded from the start? My Roughtech is threaded and came with a brake. Is that not legal in CA?

2) I like my Roughtech in 6.5PRC which came with a 24" threaded barrel. Other models are available with barrel threads and may have shorter barrels.

OP
C

COGuy99

FNG
Yeah I’ve been looking at the rough tech.

Seems like a 300 WM might might more sense as a hunting rifle to compliment the 308 AR. Would use the 300 WM for longer hunts, backcountry, and bigger game. 308 would pull deer/antelope and shorter range hunting.

when I hunt out of state, it’ll almost always be with my father, so I should be able to have a suppressor on both guns most of the time. That’d push me towards a 22” threaded barrel for 300 WM, which I’d have to have cut down. Roughtech is 24” which isn’t too bad, but starts to get pretty long with a can on it.

Seems like a muzzle brake on a 300 WM is pretty loud and obnoxious/possibly hearing damaging even with doubled up ear pro, so not sure I want to do that anymore.

Still tossing around the idea of a 308 tikka (20” with threaded barrel perhaps) or a 7mm rem mag, but that’d would probably need a 24” barrel.

Decisions, decisions

Anschutz

Lil-Rokslider
Shoot what you want, but you said you are a newer shooter/hunter. I'm going to steer you away from a lightish 300WM. Recoil is pretty stiff and ammo is pretty expensive. A .308 will give plenty of cheaper practice options.

If you want more performance in a .308 recoil range, a 6.5PRC will ruin any bull elk's day to further than you are likely currently capable of doing so and will not hold you back in the future, especially in a Tikka when you can restock and rebarrel for a reasonable price.

I've added a graph showing recoil for an 8lb rifle in 308, 6.5PRC, and 300Win as well as how heavy a 300Win would need to get to be in the same recoil range. I'm not trying to push anything on you, I just don't want to see anybody get a rifle that they don't find enjoyable to shoot and therefore not practice regularly with.
a71c047f93d261567f42b25107e6b913.jpg

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

I agree. Avoid the .300 Win. Mag. at all costs. It will be of zero benefit. For a new hunter, the best rounds are .223, .243 Win. 6mm and 6.5 Creedmoor. Above that, recoil will be an issue. I get you want to stay with the .308 due to ammo commonality with your AR-10 and for grizzly protection, but the .308 is greatly eclipsed by the above rounds in nearly every category.

LeftyWilbury

Lil-Rokslider
my 308 roughtech does great with factory barnes 130 gr TTSX which will serve you fine in california (and anywhere else). the rifle is factory threaded and comes with a brake. 22" isn't too bad of a length, even with a suppressor on the end. and by the time you end up somewhere wanting a suppressor, you'll probably have picked up a few more rifles anyway.

that all said, you'd be fine with a 20" compact. you don't really need a brake on a 308. 130 gr TTSX aren't gonna beat you up that much.

Smooch

FNG

The compact only comes in blued finish, which is a real shame. Was looking at one myself but will not buy a blued Tikka. Heard they are prone to rusting.

amassi

WKR
The compact only comes in blued finish, which is a real shame. Was looking at one myself but will not buy a blued Tikka. Heard they are prone to rusting.

Not any more than the stainless tikkas which are also prone to rust

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Years ago, a gunsmith told me that nearly all rifles have a length of pull (LOP) longer than needed. I too was taken back. "Huh?" I asked.

It all goes back to the flintlock days, he said, where there was a small explosion near the shooter's eye. As such, it made sense to get back away from this explosion. As firearms progressed, this same LOP was passed on. As I've experimented with shorter stocks over the years, I must say that I agree. Most stocks for most people are longer than needed.

BearGuy

FNG
I’ve got the roughtech in 7mm rem mag and I couldn’t be happier with it. Recoil isn’t too horrible with the brake that it comes with but an upgraded brake would make it even better. Not too heavy for me either even with 24” barrel.

KenLee

WKR
I'd buy a 308 compact and shoot 130 gr ttsx. If length of pull is too short, you can add a limbsaver slip on pad or pick up one of the many standard t3x stocks that pop up for sale at $75-100...or install the spacer that makes the compact stock full length.
I have a good many kids/ladies kill deer with a 20 inch barreled 7mm-08 spitting 120gr ttsx with excellent results.

The compact doesn't come in stainless, only blued. I have a 308 compact I got cerekoted. I dropped it in a full sized stock because I'm tall. But it's a great gun.

OP
C

COGuy99

FNG
Hmm. I would really like stainless. 7RM seems like a bit of a compromise between 308 and 300WM? Not as bad recoil as 300WM, but gets me out to 500 yards or so still staying 1500 ft lbs.

With a limbsaver and hopefully a suppressor most of the time 7mm rem mag seems fine. I’m a pretty stout/built guy so handling recoil shouldn’t be too much of a problem.

That may be a little out of my capabilities for now, but I don’t want to outgrow the rifle and kind of just want to get one and be done with it for the next 10 years.

Seems slightly redundant to get a 308 hunting rifle that will be just as range limited as the AR.

KenLee

WKR
Hmm. I would really like stainless. 7RM seems like a bit of a compromise between 308 and 300WM? Not as bad recoil as 300WM, but gets me out to 500 yards or so still staying 1500 ft lbs.

With a limbsaver and hopefully a suppressor most of the time 7mm rem mag seems fine. I’m a pretty stout/built guy so handling recoil shouldn’t be too much of a problem.

That may be a little out of my capabilities for now, but I don’t want to outgrow the rifle and kind of just want to get one and be done with it for the next 10 years.

Seems slightly redundant to get a 308 hunting rifle that will be just as range limited as the AR.
Chopping a 7mag barrel to 20 inches is going to be also limiting. Ability to use the same 308 ammo as AR sounds great to me. Price some good 7 mag ammo