Have You Ever Notched Your Tag On Opening Day: A poll

Well, have you?

• Of course I have, I'm a WKR elite dirt nap dealer.

• Nope, FNG here just looking for honey holes.

• Never hunted an opening day.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ucsdryder

WKR
last year I shot a 6x6 bull 3 minutes after legal light. He bugled 20 times right into me broadside. At 28 yards I shot him right in the crease and watched him run off with 3/4 of the arrow sticking out. Still not sure what happened. I ended up killing a rag horn out of anger that evening.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
last year I shot a 6x6 bull 3 minutes after legal light. He bugled 20 times right into me broadside. At 28 yards I shot him right in the crease and watched him run off with 3/4 of the arrow sticking out. Still not sure what happened. I ended up killing a rag horn out of anger that evening.
"After legal light", huh? It's harder to shoot accurately while trying to hold a spotlight in your bow hand. :ROFLMAO:

I had a bull bugling outside my tent night before last, so ya, they're vulnerable opening day.

I got spoiled hunting the Quinlan Ranch in Chama. Never waited longer than the second morning, and always a 6X6. Most of the time, I killed first day when a 6X6 showed up that I couldn't resist. I was always picked on for shooting too early in the hunt then just hanging out at the saddle shed to help others pack theirs out. Loved every minute of it. Lots has changed-Ranch sold several times- new managers running things, prices skyrocketed, over hunted- It's ruined forever.

1st elk hunt, cow tag, had the rifle setup and was watching my watch for legal shooting light to start so I could touch off the shot. I have shot 3 WTs in velvet all on opening day.
I am usually a mess opening day, gear in all the wrong places, stuff not adjusted to my liking, ect. Takes me a day to get into the groove.

taskswap

WKR
I have actually ONLY taken elk on opening day. I hunt Rifle 1 in a highly congested area. 90% of all the animals taken there are taken opening day. By Monday or so it's a ghost town - for people and animals.

Broadhead

FNG
Three opening day archery bulls across six years. It's sure helpful to know where the elk are prior to opener. Headed into a new unit with no insight this year. T minus 3 hours till go time. The challenge keeps us going!

COelk89

FNG
Strictly speaking western draw hunts, I have punched a tag a few times the first day of the season that I chose to hunt. Only one time did I hunt opening day of a season and punch a tag. I won't even go out for archery elk until after muzzleloader season. The first few weeks of hunters tend to push animals into my honey hole.

I do plan to go out and kill some grouse with my dogs tomorrow.

Last edited:

TripleJ

WKR
IMG_2063.jpeg

It’s been a while. This was an opening morning with my dad, 1st setup that year. I tried to call it in for him, came to me instead.

Last edited:

Mojave

WKR
Opening day, yes!

When I hunt by myself I will rarely tag an animal on opening day. Because I am usually looking for something special.

In New Mexico there are a mountain of seasons, so opening day for me might mean a month after everyone else has been out there.

In Wyoming yes.

I rarely get to hunt Wyoming alone, as my father and my uncle both like to go with me. So they push pretty hard to shoot the first anything. Which is annoying, but I enjoy their company.

Sako76

WKR
I’ve killed 16 elk (14 bulls and 2 cows) and have killed most of my bulls on opening day with an outfitter near Craig Colorado. Then trophy hunt mule deer the rest of the hunt. Most hunts took place during third combined!