Haven Tents Hammock

Trr15

WKR
Anybody have any experience with these. I have never heard of this company before, I like the idea of a flat bottom hammock w/storage and the option to use it on the ground as a tent when needed.

Rockchuck

WKR
I know this is a couple years old, but I just had a really good 1st night sleep in my new haven xl. I needed to make a quick round trip to Colorado to pick up some llamas so decided to take the haven and string it up in the stock trailer wherever I stopped for the night.

I definitely could have done better on a taut setup, but it was quite nice. Temp was 23 degrees overnight and i had their insulated pad along with their pad cover. I had a 15* sleeping bag draped on top of me and never was cold at all. They claim an r value of 8 with that pad/cover combo and it was nice and warm.

I have never been able to do more than a nap in a traditional hammock without becoming uncomfortable, but picked this up after a couple years of eyeing it.

I plan to use it predominantly for scouting big country with our llamas, where I want to cover ground and set a new camp each day, etc. With the llamas, I dont really care about the weight penalty. If I wanted to set it up on a multi day site, I could see myself bringing a larger tarp to rig up with it to provide more sheltered space to sit under, cook, etc.

A couple thoughts on setting up better/quicker is that I will probably buy their whoopie strings for an easier taut pitch. I had problems on making it tight as possible as the included straps have sewn in sections to hook onto every few inches. I couldn't quite get it tight on this first setup as I would have liked. The whoopie strings they sell look like they may solve that issue and make for a quick way to tighten it up and be able to span a wider hang as well.

Also, their pump bag/pad cover, although doing double duty in storing and inflating the pad, is long and narrow. It results in a lot of rolling up of the narrow bag to inflate the pad, vs shorter wider pump bags I have used from nemo, exped, etc. So, it is more time consuming that what I am used to. I may buy their rechargeable power pump to speed that process up.

In the morning, I decided to uninflate the pad in place and then rolled the whole thing up with pad/cover, crossbars all inside still and it made for a quick takedown. I may fab up or find a suitable stow sack to pack it in. Stowing it that way will make for a very quick deployment with everything intact.

The benefit I see there is much the same as an exoskeleton tent where you can pitch it in adverse weather and the inner tent is already attached underneath so would stay dry, IE Hilliberg, Big Sky, etc. Could maybe even do that with sleeping bag/pillow inside as well. I will experiment with that option some more.

I look forward to using it more and fine-tuning it for my needs.

Here are a couple pics of my quick n' dirty in-the-trailer setup. Thanks to Walmart parking lot for providing space for this test...
20240508_071840.jpg
20240508_071848.jpg

Last edited: