Hawaii axis deer info

Raj patel

Lil-Rokslider
New to the forum and am looking for info on hunting lanai or another island. Iv been married 5 years and never took a honeymoon. Wife is interested in hunting axis with a gun and I would like to do it with a bow. This will be our first hunting trip out of Alabama so we will probably go guided to simplify and ensure she has a good time. If Anyone willing to give advice on places to stay, islands to hunt, and outfitters to go, it would be very appreciated. Thank you!!

J-no

FNG
I hunted the big island for Spanish goats years ago with Hawaiian Safaris on my honeymoon. Had a successful hunt and it was amazing hunting that landscape. I would recommend them and plan on taking my son next year.

OP
R

Raj patel

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like a great honeymoon! I think the landscape is what that hunt is all about.

OP
R

Raj patel

Lil-Rokslider
I’m not attached at all. The wife on the other hand.. your thoughts?

pattimusprime22

Lil-Rokslider
Here's another thread that I shared my experience with hunting Lanai for axis, although I drew the state public land hunt and wasn't guided. It was an unforgettable trip and I don't think you'll be disappointed if you go!

Tahoe1305

WKR
Just FYI for those that aren’t aware the public hunt on lanai for Axis was canceled for 2021 this week. Private may still be an option.

***edit. Email attached and re-reading they may have a “replacement” season pending Covid.

Attachments

• 6C4F9F57-5581-4AF3-83A3-62B6F745411B.jpeg
    6C4F9F57-5581-4AF3-83A3-62B6F745411B.jpeg
    608.4 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
OP
R

Raj patel

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah I spoke to Karen today and public hunts are shut down until further notice. I believe private is still on.

def90

WKR
Doesn’t Hawaii have some quarantine thing going on right now that if you travel there you have to quarantine yourself in your hotel room for 14 days before you can actually go out and do anything?

Kawabunga

Lil-Rokslider
There is a 14 day quarantine right now upon arrival, there are talks of opening in october allowing travel to people who get tested before leaving for Hawaii. Crazy they cancelled the 2021 state hunt, so disappointing as this years was cancelled also. Going to be interesting to see what they do as the deer numbers will climb fast on the state side. Hopefully everything opens up soon, I'm on the Big Island and i'll be doing a private side hunt for meat as soon as it does. If you do Lanai and want to go guided check out Palawai outfitters, they hunt the prime areas and it's loaded with deer.

OP
R

Raj patel

Lil-Rokslider
Seems Palawai’s website is down and nothing turning up in a google search. If you have a lead on a number let me know. Anyone else have input on guides in Lanai vs Molokai as far as terrain as it pertains to archery success rate, quality of service provided etc?

The latest from my Lanai resident friends, is that they can hunt doe every weekend on the State side right now to keep a control on the deer numbers. I have two retired friends that probably kill more than EHD in the midwest. Some of the best hunters I have ever meet are from Hawaii.

OP
R

Raj patel

Lil-Rokslider
Open to residents from what I heard no outsiders due to the fact that the island is corona free

Seems Palawai’s website is down and nothing turning up in a google search. If you have a lead on a number let me know. Anyone else have input on guides in Lanai vs Molokai as far as terrain as it pertains to archery success rate, quality of service provided etc?

Palawai is now Pineapple brothers. They are the main outfit now for lanai. Maui hunting safaris is the main outfit for Maui. Both hunt loaded private areas. I think hook you up is a legit outfitter on Molokai but it can seem kinda wild west to an outsider, there is a lot of trespassing/poaching and some backyard outfitters I would be leery of. Lanai and Maui would be the best bet you wouldn't need more than an hour with a rifle I think they only do 2 or 3 day hunts max

GatorGar247

Lil-Rokslider
Texas has a ton of axis.. I hunt them 2 or 3 times a year.. try to book a hunt in June or July. Yes it's hot but that's the main rut. There's a ton to do in the hill country.. I'm sure you can find a ranch to accommodate .. many are like resorts anyway.. and there are several places you can drive to for more fun stuff for the wife.. wineries,river tubing , shopping etc .

I will add that there are private archery and rifle nonguided opportunities listed in the other thread on lanai but I wouldn't want to fly over here for that for at leasta couple years til things rebound. Would definitely go guided if you go at all. The deer in those areas have been hammered plus it's been a really dry year which always hurts numbers. Most ppl on the island haven't been working so all they've been doing is hunting so deer are extra pressured/spooky get pushed to safety zones where there is not hunting allowed. I brought my bow in July for some time with family and had never seen so many guys out and so little game. The rifle areas also have been hunted hard as they've been having community hunts in there bc ppl need food. I wouldn't want to do the state deer hunt either if it is moved to the fall as they start dropping their horns then. yes there would be a shot at a mouflon but since they went to ram tags without shooting a ewe first their numbers have also been poor and age class sucks. Too much guys shooting dinks. Id like to think they start the state hunt back up in the summer 2021but not sure things will be back to normal by then. I'd pony up the dough for guided hawaii when the state reopens or go to Texas. You could fill out the rest of your honeymoon with a couple nights at a resort or condo on Maui.

Last edited: