Hawaii Axis deer

This is a pretty cool video about the Axis deer & how it's become an invasive species.
I had no idea that they breed year-round.

No, they breed once a year like any other deer species but their rut is in April-May because they are a species that originated in the Southern hemisphere. Basically April-May is the fall in the south..

Very interesting thanks for posting! We try and get over there once a year and I’ve looked at doing an axis hunt, gonna have to make that happen one of these times.

Bring your credit cards. Despite the declaration of a “state of emergency” due to the axis deer population on Maui, there is functionally no public land hunting for them. So the private landowners get paid by the government for their “losses” due to the “state of emergency,” then they charge $4000+ for someone to do a one-day hunt on their property. It’s goofy.

Last edited:
its a canadian from the mainland who came to hawaii and created a monopoly shooting deer at night with thermals and turning them into dog food or selling to cycling yuppies so locals and native hawaiians can no longer access hunting grounds. Then gives % to private landowners who let problem get out of control in the first place by mostly trophy hunting yet have no shame now crying for govt handouts for ag damage and fencing compensation. Then landowners limit access to pretty much only these guys so the numbers stay high enough and they can keep the cycle going of deer for profit. They've even lobbied the county so they're now paying bounties on tails for deer killed, but only if you have certain # of acres. it's a racket .Since there's nowhere else to go the few public areas is barren. there's a lot of other stories about these guys don't be fooled by the fancy production

its a canadian from the mainland who came to hawaii and created a monopoly shooting deer at night with thermals and turning them into dog food or selling to cycling yuppies so locals and native hawaiians can no longer access hunting grounds. Then gives % to private landowners who let problem get out of control in the first place by mostly trophy hunting yet have no shame now crying for govt handouts for ag damage and fencing compensation. Then landowners limit access to pretty much only these guys so the numbers stay high enough and they can keep the cycle going of deer for profit. They've even lobbied the county so they're now paying bounties on tails for deer killed, but only if you have certain # of acres. it's a racket .Since there's nowhere else to go the few public areas is barren. there's a lot of other stories about these guys don't be fooled by the fancy production
This all checks with my experience in Hawaii so far. Don’t get me wrong, I love it here. But I presumed the big landowners on Maui are non-Hawaiian based on what I’ve seen in the headlines about billionaires buying up tens of thousands of acres across the state. And the general corruption/collusion between the state and local governments and the wealthy/businesses.

Back