Hawaii Hunt

Hey all, anybody no anything about bow hunting in Hawaii? Specifically interested in finding info on public land hunts if that's even an option. Would be willing to go with an outfitter, but probably would prefer not to. A buddy and I are wanting to plan a trip and bring the wives along. Figured it would be a good to for one. Species we would be interested would be axis deer and pigs. Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

FLAK

WKR
I would recommend an outfitter. Went to Oahu a few years back. Took 3 days to find the Game Lands and then it was closed due to aerial culling.
No signs to help find it and nobody knew nothing. Found it behind a Convent.
Never took my bow out of the case.

Sharp Things

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted the big island 1 year ago. I used Patrick Fischer as my outfitter. Ive not hunted public land without an outfitter so I cant speak to that but HI is very hunter friendly and the cost of a license is low. It all depends on the island and the species you want to chase. I killed Vancouver Bull and Polynesian hogs. Wild/Feral bulls are a blast to spot and stalk.

Tahoe1305

WKR
Coming in a year late almost. I am a military guy who has cracked the nut on hunting here. It is awesome. Can hunt public pretty easy on Oahu and Lanai. Oahu has pig and goat. Lanai has axis deer and sheep. There are other islands to hunt public on, but it's a bit tougher. Lanai is amazing and reasonably affordable. Deer and sheep draw for public hunts once a year in November for deer and April I believe for sheep. You can also hunt private land without an outfitter on Lanai for very reasonable prices (<$300 a day). Talking to DLNR reps there are estimated 35,000 deer on an island with less than 4,000 people...awesome. PM me if you want more details, happy to provide.

mbro

FNG
Coming in a year late almost. I am a military guy who has cracked the nut on hunting here. It is awesome. Can hunt public pretty easy on Oahu and Lanai. Oahu has pig and goat. Lanai has axis deer and sheep. There are other islands to hunt public on, but it's a bit tougher. Lanai is amazing and reasonably affordable. Deer and sheep draw for public hunts once a year in November for deer and April I believe for sheep. You can also hunt private land without an outfitter on Lanai for very reasonable prices (<$300 a day). Talking to DLNR reps there are estimated 35,000 deer on an island with less than 4,000 people...awesome. PM me if you want more details, happy to provide.
I’m also a military guy, I have orders there for a few months from now. Are you still in HI?

Tahoe1305

WKR
I’m also a military guy, I have orders there for a few months from now. Are you still in HI?
Sorry I left about 18 months ago. Take your weapons. Fun place to hunt and easy to shoot for free on island ranges.

mbro

FNG
I appreciate the quick response! I’ll definitely take my bow, still debating on the rifle but I’m sure I’ll end up bringing it. I’m glad I found this forum. Sounds like a lot of helpful people in here. I started to get Arizona hunting down, this seems like a big change but I’m looking forward to it.

I hunted the big island 1 year ago. I used Patrick Fischer as my outfitter. Ive not hunted public land without an outfitter so I cant speak to that but HI is very hunter friendly and the cost of a license is low. It all depends on the island and the species you want to chase. I killed Vancouver Bull and Polynesian hogs. Wild/Feral bulls are a blast to spot and stalk.
Which island has axis deer?