Hawke ED50 vs Kowa TSN-502

I am looking to pick up a lightweight spotter for a pack scope. I currently run a 1st generation Vortex Razor 65mm but quite often leave it behind because of the weight. Looking at either of the above scopes for a lightweight option to just verify what I am looking at. I do most of my glassing with 10x42 so I won't be glassing long term through the spotter. The Hawke and Kowa are close in price just wondering on quality as I can't find anyone locally that has either. What is everyone's opinion?

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
They are both excellent, however, IMO the Kowa would be the right choice. Please give us a call to discuss it and we can see which is better for you

The kowas are lighter but the hawke is ED glass and allows you to use different eye pieces including astronomy wide angle ones with an adapter.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

OP
G
Zero - Kinda what I was thinking. While the Kowa is lighter I am thinking the ED glass in the Hawke would be worth the small weight penalty. The Hawke is still light being about half the weight of the Razor. I am guessing the better glass may give me an extra minute or two at first/last light to discern what I am looking at.

Doug - I will reach out after Christmas.

Thank you and Merry Christmas

Let me know if you are interested in the one I'm selling.

OP
G
Let me know if you are interested in the one I'm selling.

The price you have on that one is tempting but I really want a straight one. Some of my hunting crew has difficulty using angled spotters.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Zero - Kinda what I was thinking. While the Kowa is lighter I am thinking the ED glass in the Hawke would be worth the small weight penalty. The Hawke is still light being about half the weight of the Razor. I am guessing the better glass may give me an extra minute or two at first/last light to discern what I am looking at.

Doug - I will reach out after Christmas.

Thank you and Merry Christmas

It's my pleasure to discuss this with you. I am back at the store. Hope you and yours had a very Merry Christmas