15's vs Spotter

Tex68w

WKR
I am headed to Colorado for Elk and Mule Deer this year. I have Swaro EL Range TA 10x42's that I'll have in a harness for ranging and quick looks. I could use the 10's for stationary glassing as well but I am not sure I want to force myself into that low of a magnification for glassing hours on end. In the past I found that using a spotter for any length of time caused eye strain but it has been years since I've messed with one beyond quick looks on target at the range. With that said I have considered grabbing a set of Swaro SLC 15x56's for glassing instead of going the spotter route.

For those of you with hours of glassing time out west what are your thoughts on this? Should I give a spotter a chance again or will the 15's be more than adequate? If I go the spotter route any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any insight here.

OP
T

Tex68w

WKR
Lots of threads asking this Q

A spotter is good in situations like; you count antler points…or need to judge growth rings on sheep

The big binos kick a spotters azz if you are scanning a lot of country looking for critters or parts of bedded ones.

I prefer the big binos…but I’m not a trophy hunter.

I believe we will already have a nice Swaro spotter amongst the group so maybe I should trust my gut and lean towards the 15's.

rcook10

WKR
I find so much more game with big binos its silly. I mostly care about finding mule deer in rolling sage and juniper country and they are indispensable for this. I’d say at this point I spend about 85% of my glassing time behind 18x binos, 10% with my 10x, and 5% with a spotter. At this point my spotter is for taking pictures or filming shots. It is so efficient: you get high magnification and detail without feeling sick or getting eyestrain.

Tmac

WKR
I prefer big eye Bino’s over a spotter unless weight is a concern or I need extremely high magnification to count rings or inches at distance. Then it’s a choice between a 65mm or 82mm spotting scope depending on the importance of weight. I can do it with 15x Bino’s, just not nearly as far out there. I spot more game with 15x and it’s easier on the eyes. I use the Meopta Meostar B1 15x56 HD and 20-70 s2 82 HD spotting scope. Both are great glass and similar to Swaro’s so hopefully applicable to your choice.

Last edited:

Firehawk

WKR
Big binos are my preference as well. I have Meostar B1 15x56 and they are great. Much more comfortable. I do pack a small spotter as well when extra mag is needed, but for long glassing sessions, no question I use my 8.5x42 Swaro EL and the 15x56.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
You'll have your 10's with you and you'll need a tripod anyway for the 15's. The spotter can't weigh much if anymore than the 15's. I vote for the spotter.

TrackerG

FNG
Well, I tried glassing long periods of time with a spotter.

For me it’s not even close to possible. A spotter is great, for judging down to the inch a long ways away. After finding your game with your 15s and determining it has a great frame ect.

I sold my spotter and run 10s on my chest and 15s on a tripod. I can determine if a coues deer is a shooter at well over a mile.

You won’t get headaches ect. The spotter is a tool, that is nice, but should be rarely used IMO

Tahoe1305

WKR
If someone in the group has a spotter I’d say you are good there unless you plan to split up far or often.

I’d personally save the weight and stick with your 10x if you plan to take them in addition to the 15s. I think you’ll spot everything you want with high quality 10x.

The spotter just helpful confirming details. I think even 15s will struggle at distant ranges with the details a spotter can pull out. Plus with your 10xs your fov will catch more stuff moving.

huntnful

WKR
Here’s my opinion, in relation to DEER. Elk are easy to see and kill.

You will find possibly slightly more deer with 15’s. But nothing under probably 1500-2000 yards, that you wouldn’t have found with your 10’s. And the possible deer you do find beyond 2000 yards, because of the 15’s, you won’t be able to identify them well enough to commit to a multiple hour endeavor to go kill one.

You will find 90+% the animals out to probably 3000 yards with 10’s than you would with 15’s. But with the addition of a spotter, you’ll actually be able to identify exactly what you’re looking at.

I would never bring 15’s and no spotter. And I don’t want a spotter in the group. I want a spotter laying right next to me. Sometimes you get less than a minute to swap over to a spotter and get a look at an animal before it’s gone.

For me, it would either be 10’s and a spotter. Or 10’s, 15’s and a spotter (which I carried this combo for 2 years)

If you can swing it… the swaro btx eye piece on the spotter…

Stick with the 10s…
It’s a great combo for deer.

I used 18s on my sheep hunt a few years back in the frank church. They were nice but I had a lot of weight. Carried 85 spotter 10s and 18s it was silly.

The btx is heavy tho… but really nice to use.