Headlamp!

I’ve ran the Petzl Zipka (retractable version) for years. Last year I lost 1 of 2 and wanted to plus back up. They’ve since been discontinued (super bummed) but I need to know what you’re all using now.

My Requirements: good light output, AAA batteries (rechargeable doesn’t do you any good on a 2 week backcountry hunt, extra AAA’s do) and ideally a retractable headband like the Zipka has/had.

Price doesn’t matter, I’d pay too dollar for more Zipka’s…

I keep one of the Petzl E-lights in my possibles bag, it’s a pretty handy little light. For my main light I use a Black Diamond rechargeable light. It can use AAAs. I don’t like carrying dead batteries around so everything I carry in the back country is rechargeable.

*zap*

WKR
I have a Black Diamond Astro that I purchased because all my other headlamps are heavier...it has done well for me for a few years with daily use. 3-AAA. No red which is a downside for me but I deal with it. I think I paid $25 at the local outdoors store here.

OP
P
All great options and I’ll probably make the switch to another Fenix. I run several of those as well but the form factor of the Zipka’s retracting headband was the big selling point. No rolling it up to double the size of the lamp etc. it just tucked away in its own package and you stow it for the night when you’re done.

Zebralight with 18650 is the way to go. I’ve used quite a few headlamps and I’m 100% sold on the 18650 setup. I carry an extra battery that doubles as phone charger, and on a single 18650, on a similar power setting as high on the single aa zebralight,lasts at least 10x longer… it’s insane. I regularly backpack in for a week or so, including morning and night hikes in the dark, use it for around camp, and one battery lasts the whole trip. If you want the peax just get the $20 sofirn clone… I can’t tell the difference between the 2(full disclaimer we bought one to try last year, so I don’t know about longer term reliability)I also have the fenix hm65r. It’s a great light too, but the zebralight is better in every aspect in my opinion

Look at peaks ! I just bought one and it is amazing. It has a red light and a white.
don't overpay for peax and his YouTube product pushers

OP
P
Don't sleep on re-chargeable. The Nitecore NU25-UL is 1.6 ounces and a couple sips of energy from the charger I'm already bringing for my phone/inreach and it will last a longgg time.
Fair point with aux power…i just hate how quick some of the super UL lights die. I usually don’t take the battery pack any further than base camp. Might have to reconsider my stance though.

ChrisAU

WKR
Fair point with aux power…i just hate how quick some of the super UL lights die. I usually don’t take the battery pack any further than base camp. Might have to reconsider my stance though.

I always carry two of them for a massive 3.2 oz burden, but no batteries for the cold to drain. I think I usually re-charge one of them once during a 5-6 day trip.

I still like the Petzl lights. Simple solid and dependable. I have two that I am not planning on replacing with anything else. I like lithium batteries in my lights because they are lighter and last way longer in cold.

4th_point

WKR
Ahahaha YouTube product pusher ? I was just giving an example of something hahahah that was awesome.
Not sure if you got it, but he was referring to a certain YouTube channel that promotes certain brands and has promo codes. It wasn't directed at you.