Headlamps.....yet again

gearguywb

WKR
In the market for a new headlamp. I used the search function and found a few things, but thought I would ask further.

I use them more for waterfowl hunting than anything. Of course some big game hunting and general use as well. Really need some type of "flood" (high intensity, bright, etc) to see decoy setups.

Several have mentioned the Zebralights. Looked at the web site and it is a bit overwhelming with choices.

• User Selectable Levels: 3 main levels (High, Medium and Low). Each main level can be programmed to one of its two sub-levels. The second sub-level of the each main levels can be further programmed to different brightness levels.
I have had both rechargeable and replaceable battery styles. Probably lean more toward the replaceable as I get tired of carrying around a bunch of different cables and chargers.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thank you!

For a good all-around utility light, I highly recommend the one of the floody Zebralight models, and I prefer the neutral white color.

The section you quoted off their website sounds more confusing than it is.. each light has high, medium, and low. And while you are on one of those levels, you can double click the button and there is a high and low setting in each of those levels (so think of it like H1, H2, M1, M2, L1, and L2) The original high, medium, and low (H1, M1, and L1) have fixed lumen levels (say 1000, 300, 50), but then you can pick the lumen level of the H2 (say like 700, 500, or 450).

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know if you can beat the Zebralight if you're looking for the brightest light available.

For general use, I like the Petzl Actik. It has a rechargeable battery that uses a micro USB cord, but you can also use it with three AAA batteries. It's really bright and easy to use but not quite as bright as my Zebralight.

Trial153

WKR
I have half a dozen head lamps seems like I am always trying a new one …my favorites been Fenix

Kayl

FNG
This is my favorite headlamp that I've used. Insanely bright red light options if you prefer to use red to go in before shooting hours:

I don't know if you can beat the Zebralight if you're looking for the brightest light available.

For general use, I like the Petzl Actik. It has a rechargeable battery that uses a micro USB cord, but you can also use it with three AAA batteries. It's really bright and easy to use but not quite as bright as my Zebralight.

I second this combo. I have them both, except my "zebra light" is the Nitecore brand version. The batteries used in the zebra/Nitecore can last a really long time. I've never had to use my spare battery in the field. I leave the charging cords at home.

NebraskaStickHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have went through several different headlamps and landed on fenix and love it. I too use it more for waterfowl than big game hunting. They are extremely bright and hold a charge forever. Never used a zebra light so cannot comment on them but I give a big thumbs up to fenix. Good luck with the quest.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
My zebra d finely throws light farther but I also like my nitecore. I’m still looking for the perfect headlamp for myself.

Haakon14

FNG
I agree with the recommendation of Black Diamond Storm. It is my go to headlamp and it is great that you can lock it to prevent accidentally turning it on and draining the battery. I just picked up a Petzl Zipka as a backup for my pack/emergency/kill kit. It seems bright, with 3 white light levels and red light. It is a bit smaller due to the retractable wire in place of the traditional headband. As a side note one thing I've started doing is for headlamps without lockout features, I flip the middle AAA batter over in the case. That way it won't accidentally turn on and I know I just need to open the latch, flip the battery, and I'm good to go. Not sure if others have found different solutions for this challenge - I hate accidentally seeing a light on inside my pocket or pack, wondering how long it has been like that.

Ashenwelt

FNG
For the last 34 years I have used Petal. They last and they work- always. I veer off to try new ones I have bad luck on headlamps and buy a new Petzl. Granted I replace them because I lose headlamps like that one sock that always disappears in the dryer...

In the market for a new headlamp. I used the search function and found a few things, but thought I would ask further.

I use them more for waterfowl hunting than anything. Of course some big game hunting and general use as well. Really need some type of "flood" (high intensity, bright, etc) to see decoy setups.

Several have mentioned the Zebralights. Looked at the web site and it is a bit overwhelming with choices.

• User Selectable Levels: 3 main levels (High, Medium and Low). Each main level can be programmed to one of its two sub-levels. The second sub-level of the each main levels can be further programmed to different brightness levels.
I have had both rechargeable and replaceable battery styles. Probably lean more toward the replaceable as I get tired of carrying around a bunch of different cables and chargers.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thank you!
Fenix HL60r is our entire crew's primary. Runs on a single 18650 battery and has a great distance spot, incredibly bright for spotting those gators while tossing out decoys or looking for reflective tape hundreds of yards away, but at the same time the low settings are excellent and battery lasts forever. It can be recharged directly via cable or remove the battery and pop into a regular charger. I have a Black Diamond Storm 400 as a backup due to the lockout feature which is a great feature for tossing in the pack and uses common AAA batteries (4). That one's got a decent spot but it's limited but it's got a great low flood with different color settings and I use the green quite often. We've never had a single issue with the Fenix headlamps, they get beaten and wet with use on the coast darn near every weekend and some of them are many years old. The BD Storms are relatively new, had the first one about a year and a half now, no issues but time will tell.

drra

FNG
I have a Coast 1000 lumen (very bright) - recharge when at home and if power isn't available you can change out the battery.

Been running a Fenix HL60R / 18650s for years and just got a Fenix HM70R, I think the HL60R is a 950 lumen rig and the HM70R is 1600. The 60 runs 18650s and the 70 is 21700s. Will be using the HM70R and 21700s to charge phone/ in-reach as well this year and will report back. Been very pleased with the HL60 and 18650s but excited to have brighter light and 5000 mAH per battery vs 3500 mAH 18650s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ridgefire

WKR
My Fenix HM65R has been great thru one duck hunting/camping/elk season and still going like it's new. Really easy to use and tons of light if you need it. Would highly recommend it.

Petzl that can run rechargeble and 3A for lightweight option. A bit heavier but I like the 1000 Lumens my stream light can throw. Can run a123 or rechargeable. I have and use a couple of zebras. Good stuff but make sure they don’t switch on in your pack.

Whisky

WKR
Been running a Fenix HL60R / 18650s for years and just got a Fenix HM70R, I think the HL60R is a 950 lumen rig and the HM70R is 1600. The 60 runs 18650s and the 70 is 21700s. Will be using the HM70R and 21700s to charge phone/ in-reach as well this year and will report back. Been very pleased with the HL60 and 18650s but excited to have brighter light and 5000 mAH per battery vs 3500 mAH 18650s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How is the size of the HM70R? Will it fit in a front pants pocket, and/or small pouch on a pack waist belt? For reference I'm used to a Zebralight that runs on a single AA. Not sure how big these bigger lamps get compared to those compacts.