Heating cargo trailer and O2

kyleds8

FNG
I know there's lots of trailer conversion info out there, but looking for your 10cents on two specific questions.

Just bought a 6x10 enclosed trailer, ramp and side door no vents or windows. I'm on the road sleeping in there off-grid. First of all, do I need to be concerned about oxygen if I shut both ramp and door? It's not a big space so I figure with everything closed I'll heat it up a little with just my heat, but am concerned about sleeping in suffocation coffin.

Alternately, I pick up a window from salvage and use a heating system. I'm paranoid and don't think I'd rest east with a buddy heater or other flame system, solutions? Could I run some type of electric heat off one of these rechargeable "powerbank" batteries? Would only need it for short amount of time in that small space.

Many thanks!

Kyle

LCsmith

Lil-Rokslider
I am assuming you are worried about carbon monoxide poisoning? I've used propane heaters in my enclosed trailer on hunting trips before without issue. If you are worried about it, you can get a CO alarm. Or find a campsite/run a generator so you can use an electric heater.

Geewhiz

WKR
I have a 6x12 cargo trailer that I use to camp out of from time to time. Maybe yours is better built but mine is nowhere close to air tight. Have someone shut the doors with you inside it and see if you can see daylight anywhere, if you can then theres sufficient ventilation.

As far as heating goes, I have a chinese diesel heater in mine. It is vented to the outside of the trailer, so no combustion products inside. I've had it for 2 years so far and have nothing bad to say about it. I have 1 inch foamboard in the ceiling but the floor and walls are uninsulated and it stayed at 55*F one night this fall when it was right around 0 outside.

Vrybusy

Lil-Rokslider
I've had many enclosed trailers over the years, various sizes and makes. Depending on the type and size of your heat source, yes, be concerned about carbon monoxide. A propane heater in the trailer you mentioned can eat up the available O2 quickly. Several years ago we had a 24' enclosed trailer with a large propane heater. The first time we used that heater it didnt take long (less than 1 hour) for those inside to realize something was wrong. Since that time, we always make sure there is a roof vent or some other type of opening (door, window, etc...) to provide fresh air flow. As mentioned above, a CO2 alarm is an inexpensive safety measure. A small heater with a shut-off timer can help. When you fall asleep, maybe it doesn't need to run all of the time.

ETtikka

WKR
In an air tight trailer, oxygen usage for avg man vs your trailer volume will give you a number , but long story short you will need at least a couple of small vents. A deep cycle battery and 12 elec blanket might be a better bet to reserve your oxygen, condensation will most likely be an issue at some point, decent venting would help with that also

Earlier comment mentions that your trailer might not be 100% air tight, would not take much of a crack to allow venting

GoatPackr

WKR
I have a 25' enclosed snowmobile trailer. We have 5 fold up bunks and kitchen with cabinets inside and run a bug buddy heater. It does ok. We have a CO monitor for safety. The issue we have is moisture. I have a roof vent and have it opened slightly. We ended with thick ice on the roof of the V Nose since it's fiberglass and that part is not insulated. The rest is 1" foam board insulation except the floor. I'm looking at cutting out some pie pieces to insulate that fiberglass part. I'm also looking at other sources of heat.

So far the best option I have found is the Nu-Way heaters. They are a vented propane system that are decently priced. I can run the small stack out through one of the 12" fuel doors in the side.

I'm also looking at a wood pellet patio heater that does not require power and will be a dry heat. The problem is hauling the pellets for a 10 day hunt and it needs to vent out the top so requires cutting in a boot to pass the stack through.

Kris

Bluumoon

WKR
Chinese Diesel heater for the win, just learn how to adjust it for altitude so it doesn't gum up. Like the earlier poster said no combustion takes place in the trailer. I still run a CO2 detector in my trailer on the off chance the exhaust seeped in from outside.

It is a dry heat and is very efficient.

JMF

Lil-Rokslider
We used a 16' enclosed and a big buddy heater this last November in Montana. The trailer was new with no insulation. Had to leave the door cracked open or it would use up the oxygen in less than an hour. Then the moisture it created would rain back down on you as you tried to sleep. I would suggest some sort of vented heater for the dry heat.

I'm really interested in the diesel heaters.
But I don't want to mount it to the floor.

Also interested in a nuway but again, don't want to take up floor space can't figure out how to mount.

EMAZ

Lil-Rokslider
I ran a buddy heater in my 7x14 for an archery deer hunt in January in AZ (lows were right above freezing); installed a security chain door latch on the inside to my side door and used a small piece of 2x4 wedged to keep the door propped from blowing closed (chain prevents it from swinging open and gives a few inches of opening to vent). The buddy heater has a built in carbon monoxide shutoff, but bought a separate battery powered carbon monoxide alarm too just for the added piece of mind. 3 of us on cots were able to sleep comfortably. You will likely get condensation on the inside roof though. We had a bunch of rain all hunt long. So the buddy heater was nice for sure. Placed the buddy heater inside near the side door with the hose attachment leading to the external tank set outside the door (ran the hose through the chain-propped side door opening).
This is meant to be my short term fix until I add side windows and/or a roof vent.

I’ve had another buddy run an electric heater in his off a Honda gas generator (obviously ran outside a ways with the extension cord in) …just need to watch the draw rating on some of those electric heaters (they can draw a significant load) versus generator output wattage.

If you zoom in to the side door, above the light switch, you’ll see the security chain part hanging; latch attachment is on the door (not visible in photo since the door is open)
FCD75B63-1A29-41C8-B3EB-7880AF09B1C1.jpeg

Last edited:

Geewhiz

WKR
I'm really interested in the diesel heaters.
But I don't want to mount it to the floor.

Also interested in a nuway but again, don't want to take up floor space can't figure out how to mount.
Theres no reason you need to mount it to the floor. You can put it anywhere you want. The only thing is you have to have a penetration in the trailer somewhere for the exhaust to vent to and I decided I would rather have a penetration in the floor rather than a wall or ceiling. You could build a small shelf or bracket and mount it to a wall or anywhere else and just 90 the exhaust out through the wall.

Somethink like this.

Also mine is only half that size and the fuel tank is a seperate unit.

Theres no reason you need to mount it to the floor. You can put it anywhere you want. The only thing is you have to have a penetration in the trailer somewhere for the exhaust to vent to and I decided I would rather have a penetration in the floor rather than a wall or ceiling. You could build a small shelf or bracket and mount it to a wall or anywhere else and just 90 the exhaust out through the wall.
Thats the catch.

Making sure I can seal any kind of hole i make.

I've been searching for months and can't find a solution I like.

I want to maintain the ability to load a sxs, and not have to break down and install stuff over and over.

Raghornkiller

Lil-Rokslider
We have a 20 foot v nose cargo trailer with fold up bunks we use as a toyhauler.Buddy heater with a carbon monoxide detector is the quickest and easiest way to go but I am installing an RV furnace because of the moisture.For early season hunts the buddy heater is fine,we only use it to warm up in the morning. If I hadn't picked up the furnace for 90 bucks I probably would have been looking into those diesel heaters.

Tremain4414

WKR
Classified Approved
Used a buddy heater with co2 monitor last season. Had the top vent and one of the windows open. Got woken up at 2 am with a splitting headache and the alarm going off. Shut the heater off and opened the door and the alarm went off.

I still use the buddy heater during the day for short periods of time while I’m awake but won’t run it at night anymore. Gonna install a diesel heater this year

Geewhiz

WKR
Used a buddy heater with co2 monitor last season. Had the top vent and one of the windows open. Got woken up at 2 am with a splitting headache and the alarm going off. Shut the heater off and opened the door and the alarm went off.

I still use the buddy heater during the day for short periods of time while I’m awake but won’t run it at night anymore. Gonna install a diesel heater this year
Also, kind of defeats the purpse of a heater in cold weather if you have to leave a window open...

We have a 20 foot v nose cargo trailer with fold up bunks we use as a toyhauler.Buddy heater with a carbon monoxide detector is the quickest and easiest way to go but I am installing an RV furnace because of the moisture.For early season hunts the buddy heater is fine,we only use it to warm up in the morning. If I hadn't picked up the furnace for 90 bucks I probably would have been looking into those diesel heaters.
The furnace just takes so much battery.
To much generator run time for me.

When I had the pickup camper I couldn't go for more then a few nights.

Maybe a big solar panel setup.

But with the snow we had this November.
I don't think that would be good ether.

Raghornkiller

Lil-Rokslider
The furnace just takes so much battery.
To much generator run time for me.

When I had the pickup camper I couldn't go for more then a few nights.

Maybe a big solar panel setup.

But with the snow we had this November.
I don't think that would be good ether.
We run the generator anyway for freezers,microwave and boot dryers so it's not really an issue.

CO2 or CO (carbon monoxide) alarm? How any propane heater could max CO2 in a vented trailer is baffling, considering that I have run multiple burners on a propane stove in a little 12 foot camp trailer for about 4 years of my life without problems. And it was cold. Windows closed and not factory vents. Door only opened for me to take a leak.

If it was CO, then your Buddy Heater is broken, as a properly working propane heater produces extremely small amounts of CO.

Last edited: