Hello from Louisiana

Hey good to meet you. I appreciate the welcome. I stayed in Slidell for awhile after Katrina working. Also lived in New Orleans for a year when I was younger. Spend tons of time now in Denham and Lafayette.

Welcome! I’m a lot like you in the fact that I’ve been on here for some time and im just now stepping my game up. I’m from Monterey, LA. Me and my wife used to live outside of WM when we first got married out towards point wilhite. Anyways I look forward to getting to knowing you and again welcome.

Thank you for the welcome! Glad to meet you!

Little known fact is that Point and Wilhite are actually two separate communities lol. I am a Wilhite and I still call the area Point Wilhite sometimes.

I live about 60 mikes from you. Do you ever hunt Dewey Wills or the Catahoula NWR? If so maybe we can trade hunts sometimes. I hunt Boeuf, Russel Sage, Big Lake, Tensas, and Kistachie quite a bit. Have a camp on the Tensas.

We actually lived on Goldsmith rd when we lived there. I just use point wilhite for a quick reference since most folks know where that is.

I hunt Richard Yancy (Concordia Parish) a lot being it’s closest to my house and my father-in-law managed it for 30 years when he worked for the Wildlife.

But I’ve been wanting to start learning how to hunt Tensas. My folks are from Clayton which ain’t too far.
M

We actually lived on Goldsmith rd when we lived there. I just use point wilhite for a quick reference since most folks know where that is.

I hunt Richard Yancy (Concordia Parish) a lot being it’s closest to my house and my father-in-law managed it for 30 years when he worked for the Wildlife.

But I’ve been wanting to start learning how to hunt Tensas. My folks are from Clayton which ain’t too far.
M

Yup I know Goldsmith Rd. I have never hunted Yancey. Been fishing there a time or two. I heard the deer hunting has been pretty tough there for the last few years. Tensas has been on a downhill slide too. Overrun with hogs.

Yea, we are eat up with the hogs. In fact my paw-in-law always says (jokingly) “Any man that doesn’t shoot every hog he sees, deserves to be shot himself.” Yancy has been really over hunted the past few years since Covid as well. But there is still some great deer in there.

You do any hunting out west? That’s where my real passion lies.

Yea, we are eat up with the hogs. In fact my paw-in-law always says (jokingly) “Any man that doesn’t shoot every hog he sees, deserves to be shot himself.” Yancy has been really over hunted the past few years since Covid as well. But there is still some great deer in there.

You do any hunting out west? That’s where my real passion lies.

I do. Just started a few years ago. Been to Montana and Wyoming for Mule Deer. Got one in Montana.

Applied for mule deer in New Mexico and antelope and elk in Arizona so far this year. Struck out in Arizona. If I don’t draw New Mexico going to see if I can luck out in the special random for deer or antelope in Wyoming. Had my eye on a certain Colorado 3rd season deer tag for this year but it creeped up and put me a point short.

How about you?

I’m mainly an elk guy and have been focusing on Colorado. I have been building points in other states for elk and mule deer.

One year, when my work schedule allows and I’ve found a decent deer, I want to take a crack at mule deer. It’s just hard for me to take time away from elk to dedicate to deer haha.

I’m mainly an elk guy and have been focusing on Colorado. I have been building points in other states for elk and mule deer.

One year, when my work schedule allows and I’ve found a decent deer, I want to take a crack at mule deer. It’s just hard for me to take time away from elk to dedicate to deer haha.
I get that. I am the opposite. I am obsessed with Mule Deer.

I do want to learn elk hunting though. I figured I could get my feet wet on deer to get an idea of what it takes and then start trying elk. Most of my trips are solo so I want to make sure I can get an elk out without it spoiling. That would be a nightmare.

I have enough elk b points in Montana to draw just about any antlerless tag. I may go that route to break into the elk hunting.

Thank you for the welcome! Glad to meet you!

Little known fact is that Point and Wilhite are actually two separate communities lol. I am a Wilhite and I still call the area Point Wilhite sometimes.

I live about 60 mikes from you. Do you ever hunt Dewey Wills or the Catahoula NWR? If so maybe we can trade hunts sometimes. I hunt Boeuf, Russel Sage, Big Lake, Tensas, and Kistachie quite a bit. Have a camp on the Tensas.
Welcome from another FNG from Louisiana! I mostly hunt the pearl and Bogue Chitto but I try and make a camping trip to one of those WMAs and Kisatchie each year. I'm from Central but now in New Orleans for now.

Back