Hells canyon armory

Ordered a barrel back in April. Was told 12-16 weeks, not a problem. Going on whatever week it is now. Over a months between replies on email and had to comment on his very active Instagram to get him to reply to the email. I hope this barrel is worth it cause all he has is excuses. Carbon wrapping motor is out, lead hand is out, etc. won’t be buying another from him

How has this ended up for everyone? I was gonna use him for a tikka build, but I am all but convinced Mike is waaaay over his head right now. Overpromising and underdelivering is a sure way to go out of business.

huntnful

WKR
How has this ended up for everyone? I was gonna use him for a tikka build, but I am all but convinced Mike is waaaay over his head right now. Overpromising and underdelivering is a sure way to go out of business.
I think he definitely has a full plate right now. But he's still not skimping on quality to meet the higher demands. My buddy just received his rifle from Mike a few weeks ago. It was immaculate and shot great. But the full builds are taking 1 year +. He's finishing up a rifle for me pretty soon. I speak with him fairly often and he's a great dude. But like you said, he's BUSY catching up on a crazy amount of orders.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I think he definitely has a full plate right now. But he's still not skimping on quality to meet the higher demands. My buddy just received his rifle from Mike a few weeks ago. It was immaculate and shot great. But the full builds are taking 1 year +. He's finishing up a rifle for me pretty soon. I speak with him fairly often and he's a great dude. But like you said, he's BUSY catching up on a crazy amount of orders.
I have never dealt with him but, there are no short cuts in quality work, it takes time but, in the end it is worth the wait.

OP
Eltigreblanco
I spoke with Mike 2 weeks ago. He said my rifle should be ready to ship this past week. I'm hoping it ships early next week. I'm going on just about 1 year since we started. I will report back

khuber84

WKR
He had a problem with some of his equipment last week, lathe was gonna be down for a few weeks but I know he's bedding and doing stock work

OutdoorAg

WKR
Gunsmith Scenario 1: A guy tells me 8-10 months, but updates me monthly. Time line extends bc of supply chain probs. But Im kept in the loop. Gun finishes in 14 months instead of initial estimate, but I’m never in the dark.

Gunsmith Scenario 2: A guy tells me 8-10 months, but I don’t hear from him for looooong stretches. Emails unanswered. Calls not picked up. I have to resort to social media to find him. Gun finishes in 14 months, but it shows up without me knowing.

Give me Scenario 1 every. Single. Time.

I’d take scenario 1 and double the wait time.

I’d take scenario 1 and 1.5X the price.

I simply won’t do no communication

I ordered a barrel that took about 9 months to arrive last year. 99% of the wait time was not his fault, I think the barrel blank arrived end of october and I had the finished product by thanksgiving. I too was frustrated, since the original lead time quoted was much shorter, but every email I sent requesting an update was answered within 1-2 business days.

Ordered a rifle from him last january/february. In early December, I checked-in via email and he replied after a few days saying all current builds should be out his door by the end of March. Hopefully that holds up. Getting pretty excited for Spring Bear.

hunt1up

WKR
I sent Mike a Tikka to be built last year. I just looked at my email chain with him. He received my gun and money on 1/23/21. I got the gun on 9/11/21. Longer than expected but also not too surprising. A few parts were backordered which slowed it down. I'd email Mike every few weeks to check in and he'd respond within a day or two. I had an small issue with some factory ammo in the gun and Mike answered the phone when I called him about it and was very helpful.

I'd say the gun took longer than I expected, communication was adequate, and the gun is very nice. I don't get too into bench shooting to tell you exactly what it shoots, but with some factory Accubonds it'll stack holes. I'd say I got the product I expected when I decided to buy it.

I'm doing another Tikka "build" and this time I'm just going to piece it together myself. Not because of Mike's work, I don't feel like spending money on another carbon barreled gun right now.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Gunsmith Scenario 1: A guy tells me 8-10 months, but updates me monthly. Time line extends bc of supply chain probs. But Im kept in the loop. Gun finishes in 14 months instead of initial estimate, but I’m never in the dark.

Gunsmith Scenario 2: A guy tells me 8-10 months, but I don’t hear from him for looooong stretches. Emails unanswered. Calls not picked up. I have to resort to social media to find him. Gun finishes in 14 months, but it shows up without me knowing.

Give me Scenario 1 every. Single. Time.

I’d take scenario 1 and double the wait time.

I’d take scenario 1 and 1.5X the price.

I simply won’t do no communication
How about option 3…guy is too busy and falling behind. So he cuts corners and gun shows up in 8 weeks and is a mess. Give me option 1 or 2! Ask me how I know!