HELP. Colorado Elk

What’s up guys! I’m new here and I’m seeking some help! I’m planning an Elk hunt to Colorado in 2021..long ways I know, trying to get my ducks in order! I’m looking for sort of a balance.. I’m looking for the best GMU for elk while also providing some fishing spots. I know he’s crazy, fishing on an elk hunt. I’m just planning if the weather gets me down or the lack of luck I can take a day to fish and wind down or if I tag out early. I will also have some buddies that don’t have tags so they may look for some other activities. Any advice is appreciated! Thanks guys!

Bbrinks

FNG
Just being honest, but you’re probably not going to get many responses since giving out information about units in a forum is a good way to ruin them since anyone can search them. Since you have a couple years I would start with the CPW website, Colorado hunting atlas and just call up some local wildlife biologists for info.

OP
S
To me all these threads translate into this: "Looking for GUIDEance for free" (Then once successful I will post on Instagram with hashtags like #DIY and #sickforit

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I’m not asking anyone to tell me where their secret spot is or where the gems are hidden. I’m just looking to maximize my experience as best I can. Maybe someone did what I did and is willing to share their experience with me. I’m not asking anyone to bend over backwards and send me topo maps and exactly where everything is. That’s why we have threads to share experiences and help each other optimize their hunt. If you don’t like it man don’t hop on the thread, pretty simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That
I’m not asking anyone to tell me where their secret spot is or where the gems are hidden. I’m just looking to maximize my experience as best I can. Maybe someone did what I did and is willing to share their experience with me. I’m not asking anyone to bend over backwards and send me topo maps and exactly where everything is. That’s why we have threads to share experiences and help each other optimize their hunt. If you don’t like it man don’t hop on the thread, pretty simple.

That's what every new guy with 2 posts says

Half the fun of hunting out west is rolling up to a trail head you have never been to and going exploring hoping you picked a good spot.

We get these posts all the time

Wapiti1

WKR
You're doing this backwards. Pick the type of fishing you want, and hunt the unit that water is in. You'll have a harder time finding great fishing than a unit that has huntable elk. Outside of the limited draw units, all of the CO units offer the same elk hunting experience just with different scenic views.

I'm being serious, find the fishing, the elk will be there. There is no one unit that is better than another outside of the limited entry units.

Jeremy

OP
S
That

Half the fun of hunting out west is rolling up to a trail head you have never been to and going exploring hoping you picked a good spot.

I understand that. But I also don’t want to waste my time and money when I could be better prepared and be in a successful GMU. I love the hunt but I don’t want to drive the 24+ hours and pull up to the unexpected. I can do all the research I want but personal experience given is always a plus.

Btaylor

WKR
That

Tagging onto this. What kind of hunt or area interest you the most? Do you want to hunt in the timber or above it? Would you prefer to hunt an area where you can spend more time on the glass and then stalk in? Bow or rifle? Truck camp or backpack? Once you figure out these things, you can zero in on some areas on the CPW maps and google earth to figure out what zone or zones you want to go too. Then you can ask a question along the lines of..." I am planning a truck camp hunt where I can glass a lot of country and have zeroed in on a zone in the NW part of the state but have a few questions. Is there some one familiar with this part of the state that would mind discussing my plans with me by PM or phone?"

OP
S
Tagging onto this. What kind of hunt or area interest you the most? Do you want to hunt in the timber or above it? Would you prefer to hunt an area where you can spend more time on the glass and then stalk in? Bow or rifle? Truck camp or backpack? Once you figure out these things, you can zero in on some areas on the CPW maps and google earth to figure out what zone or zones you want to go too. Then you can ask a question along the lines of..." I am planning a truck camp hunt where I can glass a lot of country and have zeroed in on a zone in the NW part of the state but have a few questions. Is there some one familiar with this part of the state that would mind discussing my plans with me by PM or phone?"

Thank you for the input, that’s a great idea. I’ve got some of that figured out right now, as soon as I pull the other remaining question marks together I will definitely break down the specifics to see if any others have any input. Thanks!

md126

WKR
"I understand that. But I also don’t want to waste my time and money when I could be better prepared and be in a successful GMU. I love the hunt but I don’t want to drive the 24+ hours and pull up to the unexpected. I can do all the research I want but personal experience given is always a plus."

No one wants to waste their time and money and everyone wants to be in a successful GMU. My advice is this...

-Do your own research (way more fun and rewarding).

-Expect the unexpected in CO and have 2-3 solid backup plans.

-Make the "personal experience" your own.

Good luck and have fun

Newt

Lil-Rokslider
I get it. It's a daunting task to nail down an area to go on your first hunt. Probably just as worse on your second and third if you happen to not see any elk on the trips before. I got lucky after my first and a guy who had been going out for 30 some odd years invited me. I figured if he kept on going to the same area for all that time I did not have to wonder if there were any elk there.

But, for your first time, the way I started was by deciding what time of year I wanted to go and the weapon of choice for the hunt. That's where you start. Then, you can slowly start whittling away the units. I chose the unit I did because I was 99% sure I would draw a tag for the hunt. I did not want to go during the OTC hunt. However, if you do want to go, then thats where you start.

Then, decide what general area. Up north, or down south? I wanted something easy to get to off I70.

There are a lot of things that you have to decide for yourself that come before actually picking a unit. I am 99% sure that there are elk in every unit that they sell elk tags for. I am also 99% sure that hunting those elk are about the same 50/50 chance you'll get one or not. Honestly, I don't think that the success statistics are really worth looking at.

Just because a unit has a high statistic rating does not mean its more likely you will get an elk. All it means is that the people who chose to go there did what it took to get their elk. Make sense? So pick an area based on what you want from the trip, not based on what others have wanted from their trips. Then, when you either get an elk, or don't, you'll be satisfied because you went with what you wanted to do not what others have wanted to do.

To put it into perspective, I bet if you were to take a poll of the unit that each person goes to in this forum, you'll get a very wide spread of unit numbers. That means you will get a wide variety of suggestions, and you'll still have to decide for yourself where to go. It might just be frustrating.

My suggestion is to do research(you have plenty of time) and then when you have a unit picked, then ask for some help with that particular unit. I have found that guys respond well to that if it is done via private messages or phone calls.

OP
S
I get it. It's a daunting task to nail down an area to go on your first hunt. Probably just as worse on your second and third if you happen to not see any elk on the trips before. I got lucky after my first and a guy who had been going out for 30 some odd years invited me. I figured if he kept on going to the same area for all that time I did not have to wonder if there were any elk there.

But, for your first time, the way I started was by deciding what time of year I wanted to go and the weapon of choice for the hunt. That's where you start. Then, you can slowly start whittling away the units. I chose the unit I did because I was 99% sure I would draw a tag for the hunt. I did not want to go during the OTC hunt. However, if you do want to go, then thats where you start.

Then, decide what general area. Up north, or down south? I wanted something easy to get to off I70.

There are a lot of things that you have to decide for yourself that come before actually picking a unit. I am 99% sure that there are elk in every unit that they sell elk tags for. I am also 99% sure that hunting those elk are about the same 50/50 chance you'll get one or not. Honestly, I don't think that the success statistics are really worth looking at.

Just because a unit has a high statistic rating does not mean its more likely you will get an elk. All it means is that the people who chose to go there did what it took to get their elk. Make sense? So pick an area based on what you want from the trip, not based on what others have wanted from their trips. Then, when you either get an elk, or don't, you'll be satisfied because you went with what you wanted to do not what others have wanted to do.

To put it into perspective, I bet if you were to take a poll of the unit that each person goes to in this forum, you'll get a very wide spread of unit numbers. That means you will get a wide variety of suggestions, and you'll still have to decide for yourself where to go. It might just be frustrating.

My suggestion is to do research(you have plenty of time) and then when you have a unit picked, then ask for some help with that particular unit. I have found that guys respond well to that if it is done via private messages or phone calls.

Thanks a bunch, that really helps! Kind of a new perspective, I never looked at it that way. Thanks!!

strand

Lil-Rokslider
My first elk hunt was during 3rd rifle season in 2011 and I brought a bow and a fishing pole along. I thought I'd bowhunt them even though it's rifle season because that's what all the elk hunting videos showed guys doing. And it was in the mountains of Colorado so a guy has to bring a fly rod, right? I got there and there was at least a foot or more of snow in most places and the temps were near or below zero most of the week. My bow and fly rod stayed in the pickup and I hiked around with my rifle for a week, never laying eyes on an elk. 8 years later and my fly rod still rides out with me in the pickup but has only been used once while elk hunting in Montana. Since you have buddies going that won't have tags, like others mentioned have them find a few spots that have decent fishing and then figure out which of those areas/seasons you want to elk hunt. Colorado OTC is a mad house and I spend most of my time anymore just trying to get away from people. The easy to access fishing spots are just as full as the trailheads during OTC rifle seasons. At least that has been my experience.

You have a lot of time to plan between now and then, so don't spend so much time on it you get burned out, but do spend some time looking at maps and get out there and put boots on the ground if at all possible. Enjoy the process.

Oh and like merickson04 mentioned, get that bear tag! I wish I would have had one last year...