Help Me Choose A Puffy

Hunting SW Montana mid November. I've got Kuiu Talus pants & Guide Jacket. Got Peloton 240 hoody for mid layer. Midweight Merino base layers. I think i'm good for my active times. Still trying to figure out the cold moments. I want to get a puffy jacket and pants for glassing and waiting. I've spent a boat load of dough this year, as I'm amassing all my gear in one season, so I'm looking for a good budget option. What can you guys recommend to me? I'm even open to used, just haven't figured out what to get. I'm mainly familiar with Kuiu lines, so I don't know what Sitka, First Lite, Pnuma, etc. have. Maybe even Eddie Bauer or ???

Thanks in advance.

n2horns

WKR
Arcteryx, LLBean, Eddie Bauer. I like the Arcteryx Cerium LT fits better than LL Bean, a littler looser and more freedom to move arms around. Thorium AR is a little heavier and warmer than Cerium.

Kotaman

WKR
It's a bit bulky, but the Kelvin Down Puffy is WARM. And, as a bonus, it can be had at clearance prices if you find your size. If you don't want the bulk, the Kelvin Lite is also nice, and more packable. Just not as warm. The new Kelvin Down WS is also very nice, but considerably more money. It is a blended fill of Primaloft Gold with wind stopper and a water resistant shell.

For straight warmth, Kifaru hands down. It’s like an oven. The Sitka kelvin is also good.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I want to get a puffy jacket and pants for glassing and waiting. I've spent a boat load of dough this year, as I'm amassing all my gear in one season, so I'm looking for a good budget option. What can you guys recommend to me?
Thanks in advance.

Go to your local surplus store, or order online the ECWS Level 7 jacket and pants. Should be $60-$80 per piece.

The only puffy from a “hunting” company that will match it is the Firstlite Chamberlin.

For straight warmth, Kifaru hands down. It’s like an oven. The Sitka kelvin is also good.

Th Lost Park uses the same insulation as the 20 degree slick bag, except only one layer. I, and several of my buddies used the LPP heavily last year in 7 states, and while we all liked it, I can’t say they are an oven. Completely static, with a wicking base layer, and medium weight fleece (Patagonia R1), the LPP is about a 35-40 degree piece. Or at least that’s the conclusion that 6-7 dudes came to wearing the LPP for 4 months extremely varied environments. Moving slowly it’s good to well below that, but that’s not what one really wants a true puffy for.

jchunter

FNG
Check out the SKRE Ptamigan down puffy. I've heard really good things about it. They just came out with a new version. I just received mine this week. I'm going to be trying it out this season.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

TheCougar

WKR
Kifaru lost park. Bomb proof and really warm. The Kuiu is also good kit.

I’m pretty sure if you put on the LPP and Kuiu at the same time, you might spontaneously combust or get zapped by a laser beam from a Sasquatch riding a unicorn. Just trying to keep you safe!

The Chamberlin is a legitimate oven. Never used the LPP before, but it is hard to imagine anything warmer than that FL piece.

November in Montana can see some serious cold. Moisture is not as big of a concern so I like down. I use a Rab Nuetrino Endurance. I can take it below zero in wind and be okay. Packs small and is reasonably light. September and on, it is always in my pack.

Stingray

Lil-Rokslider
Local Costco here selling North Face thermoball hoodie and Patagonia down sweater jacket. Both under $150. I already have a Patagonia jacket and can attest to its warmth, build quality, durability and packability. I’d look for that. I have a thermoball vest and it’s fine just not super warm. It is extremely light weight and packable.

Owenst7

WKR
Elk hunting partner wears an Eddie Bauer. I wear a Costco Gerry down puffy. Neither of us has any complaints. My Costco jacket has YKK zippers and was $30.

timberbuck

Lil-Rokslider
Browning Hells Canyon Speed Shrike, last years model. On sale everywhere for the last year. Much warmer than my Sitka Kelvin but also more heavy. Only negative is no hood. New version has a hood and windstoper membrane. Old style is plenty wind resistant.