Help me choose an insulated pant, 2nd Season Colorado Rifle

eamyrick

WKR
I was pretty set on the SG Grumman pant but stumbled upon the Kuiu Super Down and Kuiu Super Down Lt offerings. I've never had insulated pants before other than skiing. I'm a 34x35. Kuiu Super Down Lt seem to have the longest inseam and are half the weight (and fill) which would probably end up with me packing them more often. I also think lighter would be nice to add to my 15-degree sleeping bag at night. We are hunting at 8-12k late October/November so I know it can get crazy cold. What do ya'll suggest?

Other option I've found is the Moutain Hardwear Alpine Compressor pant.

Last edited:

ChrisAU

WKR
I just got the SuperDown LT Jacket and it’s crazy that more people aren’t talking about the new line. It is much, much loftier than the Super Down Ultra line and is still super light, plus windproof and has a matte finish. I still have the older Ultra pants, but on 2 1st rifle and 1 2nd rifle hunt at 9-11k I’ve yet to wear them any other time than in camp.

Black Ovis anchor point - I own these and they are very warm. I don't care for the matching jacket though and would select OR or Mountain Hardware jacket for a top with them.
I dyed mine olive green and then washed them in grangers - they are water resistant but I try to keep them dry.
I actually picked up a second pair and use them in a different color for winter sports (not hunting) and for lounging about the cabin - very cozy but light pants.

Don’t spend your money on britches bro, grab some solid base layers and roll out.

TX4ever

Lil-Rokslider
As others have said- the anchor points are solid and what I use

Jn78

Lil-Rokslider
OR Tradecraft pants for me if I am backpacking in colorado 2nd or 3rd season. I prefer synthetic puffy pants if it is snowy/wet and I am gonna be in it for a week.

I wear “normal pants” for my hunts, but use the mountain hardware compressor pants for insulation when glassing or if I need more warmth when sleeping. I have been using them for the past several years here in colorado, South Dakota, and Alaska. I don’t use any base layers on my lower half, just pants and puffy pants.

I think it really depends on the actual temps, and how stationary you may be.

My last hunt 2nd season CO we had cold mornings in the 20s that would warm up to 50s or 60s by afternoon. Did a lot of 1-3 mile hikes in the dark to get into spots before first light.

I used the super down ultra pants over attack pants or guide pants depending on the day and a base layer. Glassing at first light I had all three on, then would be in the pants only by afternoon. Essentially the same system on top. Base layer, light fleece, soft shell, puffy. Was warm and comfortable without excessive pack weight or bulk.

Down pants are awesome, whichever ones you end up with. Pack down small and great warmth and wind protection.

This general approach has worked well on all kinds of fall hunts for me.

OP
eamyrick

eamyrick

WKR
Went with the Mountain Hardwear Compressor Alpine Pants in Large Tall Since I’m 6’3. I absolutely love them and they saved my ass on this hunt. Got down to negative temps. I put them on glassing everyday. They will never leave my pack and had several naps in freezing temps with no issues.

ForlohFamily

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I was pretty set on the SG Grumman pant but stumbled upon the Kuiu Super Down and Kuiu Super Down Lt offerings. I've never had insulated pants before other than skiing. I'm a 34x35. Kuiu Super Down Lt seem to have the longest inseam and are half the weight (and fill) which would probably end up with me packing them more often. I also think lighter would be nice to add to my 15-degree sleeping bag at night. We are hunting at 8-12k late October/November so I know it can get crazy cold. What do ya'll suggest?

Other option I've found is the Moutain Hardwear Alpine Compressor pant.
100% sourced and made in America
Lifetime Warranty