Help me decide

targetpanic

Lil-Rokslider
I've been doing a ton of reading and thought I knew what I needed to look at in a pack...then I realized how little I knew about packs.
If I am going to spend money on a pack I need it to cover a few different bases.
1) Daypack for future mule deer hunt (day hunts only) with the possibility of packing out a deer.
2) For use during archery season at home in New England. Typically 1/4-1/2-1 mile walk in. Most of the time the pack is strapped to my climber.
3) It would be nice to be able to expand the pack if the opportunity for a muti day hunt arises in the future.

It seems Kifaru/MR/SG/EXO are popular options here but most of them seem like overkill for what I will be using it for 95% of the time.
We don't quarter up deer in the woods here no matter how far back they are. We field dress, and tie a rope to a stick and start dragging. If they are less than a mile from the truck we may use a jet sled. I never use a backpack during firearms season in New England. I fill up a fanny pack with essentials and off I go.

I have narrowed it down to a few choices that I THINK should meet the above requirements

1) KUIU Icon Pro 1850
2) Badlands 2200
3) Eberlestock X2
4) Tenzing 2220
5) Badlands Super Day (doesn't look like it would be good for carrying meat though)
I don't see Badlands mentioned here very often...is there a reason for that?

Or could I get away with a smaller daypack and buy a Cabelas pack frame or a LLBean Carryall Pack for meat transport?

Thanks for your opinions

Based on your 1-5 list, id go with the Kuiu and buy a bigger bag if you ever do a backpack hunt. You have a small bag for day hunts and it can pack meat with the frame, also the frame can come off and you can use it as just a bag in the treestand. Plus you can buy extra bags depending on what the future holds for you.

MR has a new one that might fit the bill too, so does the 2200 from EXO, SG solo pack basically can go from nothing to something.. and Kifaru even has some new packs that would be perfect too... Id re look at all them too... All but the MR will allow you to buy extra bags to go on the same frame.

The Superday sucks and will break, all the buckles have snapped on mine that i was just using for turkey hunting...just cheap Chinese junk that cost way to much.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
1850 bag is pretty small I'd up size to the next one up. I'd also go with the kuiu for the frame. I've personally packed with the 2200 badlands and the X2. The X2 has a short frame but if it fits you it's a great pack. The 2200 did everything I wanted but was heavy now I just use my duplex for everything

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Akicita

WKR
If I am going to spend money on a pack I need it to cover a few different bases. 1) Daypack for future mule deer hunt (day hunts only) with the possibility of packing out a deer. 2) For use during archery season at home in New England. Typically 1/4-1/2-1 mile walk in. Most of the time the pack is strapped to my climber. 3) It would be nice to be able to expand the pack if the opportunity for a muti day hunt arises in the future. [/QUOTE said:
Seek Outside Revolution-Fortress 3900 or Unaweep Fortress 3900 with Day Talon

OP
targetpanic

targetpanic

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the suggestions guys.
Question... can the packs mentioned (exo 2220, MR or SG Solo or Seek) be used without the frame and just attach the bag to the suspension? That is what is appealing to me about the kuiu.

Akicita

WKR
You can run different size bags from 2400 to 7000 on the same SO Revolution Suspension. You can also use the Revolution Suspension by itself with the included load shelf as a freight hauler. I have the Unaweep 6300 and it meets all of the 3 criteria you listed for how I use it. Kifaru would be another reccomendation. Although I don't own one I have used the Timberline on one of their suspensions and it was a very nice system.

slow

FNG
Have you looked at Hill People Gear? They may have something you like for your "95% of the time" needs. Quality is top notch.

kickemall

WKR
Of the ones you mentioned I'd definitely get the Kuiu. But... I would go with at least the 3200 and better yet the 5200. With the 5200 you get a pack that you can use for multiday hunts if you ever choose to do that yet it compresses down to nothing for day hunts, especially if you pull the lid off which is simple to do and makes the pack much more streamlined. The side pockets on the 5200 also make for a great gun holder that will protect your scope also as well as having plenty of room for your day hunt stuff without having to dig into the main pack. Buy a 40 dollar load hauler and you can pull the bag and haul tree stands, feed bags, whatever. Very versatile pack. With the 5200 you also have the option of packing meat in the bag or using the built in load shelf for your future mule deer hunts.

OP
targetpanic

targetpanic

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for all the suggestions guys! I've been using the same backpack my father bought me when I was 15 (I'm 40 now)...it is absolutely nothing fancy but it serves it's purpose.

huntMT

FNG
I know the X2 is a good pack. My hunting buddy uses one and has hauled plenty of meat out with it and it performed really well. I would suggest looking at either the Horn Hunter Full Curl system or the Slumberjack Bounty. Both will do what you are wanting and you can run them as just a frame, a day bag or a full system with a large bag, frame and day pack. I use have the Bounty 4500 and love it. It pack weight really well. I think it's a overlooked pack due to not having a $600+ price tag.

Mmcan

WKR
Kifaru Nomad

Get a camp bag to haul your tent and sleeping bag and camp related camp things with you. Leave those things in camp as you set it all up.

Use the Nomad w a lid (I have the long hunter) for things you need to access readily, and use the bat wings to carry your rain gear, layers, kill kit,...

I also use the grab it.

If you kill something, get it in the right place for the Grab It, strap it to the pack, wrap the wings around it, and haul it out. I've carried 80 lbs in mine. Felt "great", or as great as that amount of weight can feel. It's impressive.

I used this set up for 10 days elk hunting this year. I also use it to day hunt white tails and hogs out of a lodge.
NEVER second guessed it.

Go to Kifaru and search for Nomad videos. I would buy another one immediately if I lost this one.