Help me pick a cartridge

TxLite

WKR
I think you have everything covered with what you have but I’m not one to tell someone to not buy a new rifle.. the perfect amount of rifles is your current number of rifles +1.

7-08 would be my choice. Continue to use .284 bullets, low recoil, short action.

WormSportsman

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of great suggestions already. I will echo the .25-06 though. I picked one up last year and have had a blast dialing it in and working up a load for it. Damn good shooter, mild recoil and can’t wait to try it out on game this year. Has become on of my favorite rifles to shoot for sure!

WKB

Lil-Rokslider
Easy. Fulfill of your unrequited and closeted retro hipster steampunk aspirations and get a .30 Newton.
And a monocle.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Lots of great suggestions already. I will echo the .25-06 though. I picked one up last year and have had a blast dialing it in and working up a load for it. Damn good shooter, mild recoil and can’t wait to try it out on game this year. Has become on of my favorite rifles to shoot for sure!
I only have one 7 mm mag (Sherman Short) and wanted a smaller caliber after it destroyed a coues at 700 yards, lol.

I picked up a 25 Sherman Short Tactical and shooting it is a dream. Same elevation correction out to 1000 as my 7mm. Shorter barrel and less recoil.

At 133 grains, it’s just barely below typical 6.5 weights but higher BC. My 6mms just don’t have as much, and don’t give much more benefit for recoil at 105-115 without losing the effectiveness of the .25 cal.

NSI

WKR
Hey bud! Alberta is cool except for the minimum hunting caliber restrictions. Was just up there for Stampede.

Nanooks are awesome except for the trigger they force you to use.
.223s are awesome for training and killing stuff but you live in Alberta.

Advice:
Build a 24" 6.5CM or .260 if you are a reloader.
Build a 20" 6.5CM if you shoot factory ammo.

Rationale:
6.5 is the most prolifically produced rifle ammunition in the .470 "standard" bolt face.
It recoils mildly, and is fun and relatively inexpensive to shoot.
It's great for introducing new shooters to the sport after they've shot your .223 gas gun.
The Nanook, with its integral everything, is a great pick for an NRL Hunter action. You'll be able to find pre-fits easily and change them stress-free.
In NRL Hunter, 6.5mm is the minimum caliber for which power factor need not be met if using sealed box ammo - this lets you use any barrel length.
In NRL Hunter, 6.5cm or .260 are the minimum rational calibers with which to make 380,000 power factor (weight times speed) if you are reloading at around 24" barrel length.
NRL hunter will improve your skills for killing animals, and is a hoot.
This same rifle will make a lovely killer out to about 500 yards with simply an ammo change.

Let us know what you choose!

-J

Maverick1

WKR
5 or 10 years from now…
Q1: “Why do you own that gun?”
A1: “Because a bunch of guys on Rokslide thought it would be a good one to own”

Q2: “Do you shoot it much?”
A2: “Nah, I’ve got a bunch of other guns I shoot instead”…..

:rolleyes:(n):unsure:🤪

49ereric

WKR
I'm going to order another long action for a future build but im trying to figure out if I should go with a standard bolt face or magnum.
I currently have all .284 caliber rifles. 7mm rem mag, .280 ai and a 7prc being built.
So I'm either going to go with something in the 30 cals or a .26/ 6.5mm

What would you choose and why?
9.3x62 in case you want to hunt something dangerous.

JakeSCH

WKR
I agree with others to step further away from your 7's...if you want a thumper, get magnum bolt face with 4" cut and plan to build a 338 edge or similar.

If you want something else to shoot I would go with standard bolt face and build a 6 CM or 223...then you still have the option to add your missing 7mm-08 should you decided to stick with a 7's.

I WISH I could explain that to the Alberta Government
AB Roksliders should send a bunch of similarly worded letters explaining this and pull evidence from the .223 thread in particular. The AB gov is obviously pro firearm and pro hunting, so we could explain the .223 as being advantageous and better for females and younger shooters, while still being effective on game with modern bullets. Explaining the policy as being outdated and no longer supported by data might at least fire up the conversation

OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
I think you have everything covered with what you have but I’m not one to tell someone to not buy a new rifle.. the perfect amount of rifles is your current number of rifles +1.

7-08 would be my choice. Continue to use .284 bullets, low recoil, short action.
Its truly because I want to put one together start to finish and develop a load for it, not because I need another rifle to hunt with. I learn and comprehend by doing things hands on and building a bolt gun, (threading the barrel to action) bedding it to a stock, etc...) is something I havent done myself.

It's annoying. Almost as annoying as not being able to use suppressors. Or order SWFA optics.
They pop up Gunpost from time to time. I’m pretty sure there’s a company that will import them as well out of BC. I’ve managed to score a few now and just saw a 6x mil quad on there last week

OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
How hard is it to get another bolt from kelbly? Its too bad they aren't modular bolt faces like the Bats.

OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
You already have a .280Ai, 7mm rem mag and a 7PRC????!?!

I wont bother asking why...but whats the perceived gap in the rifles you have?
See post #38