Help me pick two Tikkas

MTSabo

WKR
You will have a TOUGH time, finding, LEFT Handed, Tikka's in SOME, Cal's ! ( 6.5 Creed. ??,.. LOL !)
I'd choose the .243 win. for Varmints/ small Deer/ Antelope, etc. a PLEASANT Caliber, to shoot a LOT ! And the .270 WSM (or 7mm Rem Mag) for, EVERYTHING, else !There are many good Factory loads for the .270 WSM in 130, 140 and 150 grain loads, even 160 Partitions are available, Factory loaded. The 140 AccuBond, is amazingly,.. accurate, tough and FLAT shooting ! Unless, you are hunting, Alaskan Brown Bears at dangerously CLOSE Range, the .270 WSM / 7Rem Mag, WILL get the "Job",.. DONE ! Tikka's have, a very smooth Bolt and a LOWER "lift" than, most other Rifles and an adjustable Trigger that, rivals, a Timney for crispness ! There are many posts about, which Bullets to choose for the .243 online and only, a few DON'T, "work" in the 1-10 twist Bbl.! Good Luck,.. hope this, helps !

After you clarified I would agree with this. The recoil of a 300WM is nasty.

slick

WKR
I have a Tikka T3x 300wm with Leupold VX-2 2-7x33...Buddy shot a deer with it, scoped himself. I shot a bighorn ewe with it and didn’t notice the recoil.

But shooting it at the range more than 10x is not fun, as far as hunting goes the 1 or 2 shots you take you won’t notice. In my
experience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Tikka T3x 300wm with Leupold VX-2 2-7x33...Buddy shot a deer with it, scoped himself. I shot a bighorn ewe with it and didn’t notice the recoil.

But shooting it at the range more than 10x is not fun, as far as hunting goes the 1 or 2 shots you take you won’t notice. In my
experience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TRUE for, 1-2 shots at Game, even my .338 Mag's recoil, wasn't,.. "noticeable" !
But, for "Working up" Loads and then, a fair amount of, "Long Range, practice" ( to me that's, 300 - 700 yards) using "sticks" and over a pack ( uphill/ downhill ) are, a different, Story ! We shoot 15-20 rounds of "Big Bore" per session, practising from, various positions and distances at, a 10" gong. What you said, 10 shots or, more,.. is NOT,.. "Fun" !

New Hunters and Rifle Buyers, need to be AWARE of, the Rifles Weight vs, Power Level (Ft. lbs of, felt recoil) for the Gun and Caliber, they choose to buy !

OP
nrh6.7

nrh6.7

WKR
Thanks for all the input so far. I'm not recoil averse normally, but I'm also not opposed to adding a brake if needed. I thought about the 338 and even looked into the 375 but don't you give up a lot on range with those two calibers over the 300win?

Muttly

WKR
If you hadn't said both for hunting, I,d be throwing in a vote for a 7 Mag and a 223 with 1-8 twist for heavies.. Some guys seem to like a 223 for deer, no personal experience, so no comment in that regard.
What is the 30-06, also Tikka?
Picked up a 7 Mag T3x stainless this fall, DNZ one piece and SWFA 3-9x42, pretty impressed with that particular combo. First trip to the range, 18 rounds through it, waaay impressed with the little beast. Kinda like the recoil level, definitely know you touch it off, would not call it punishing at all..
Like the idea of getting a 223 and putting a fixed six SWFA on it, cheaper ammo, don't HAVE to reload, and like the idea of a low recoil rig, cause I,m a cream puff like that...