Help me refine my strategy

madtinker

Lil-Rokslider
In all my scouting this summer I found one really good spot, but I’m pretty sure it’s a bedding area. It’s a bench halfway up the hill, but it’s covered in scat from one end to the other, with some trees and mostly grass. The slopes around have a rub or two and a few trails with a couple spots with sign.

My first thought was to get to the bedding area well before light and wait for them to come to me, but the odds of getting winded might be too high. The other way would be to try to sneak there once the winds have stabilized. I do have a vantage point to glass the hillside, but the timber is pretty thick and hard to see through.

With my wife’s pregnancy I may not be able to hunt more than a couple days, so I feel like an aggressive strategy may be my only hope. What can I do to make sure I seal the deal?

taskswap

WKR
IME elk bedding areas move a lot more than deer/etc. One bedding area wouldn't be enough for me to stake out, but it's a great start knowing there are animals around!

Everyone has their own style, but I'd find all the drinkable water sources within a mile of that bedding area. Stake those out morning and evening (elk water every day at sunup/sundown). Use mid-days to hike/explore and glass like crazy. Once you find the animals, spike out near where they are, "wake up" with them, and stay quiet!

I don't know jack shit so take this FWIW, but if I were in your shoes I don't think I'd be IN the area but perhaps try to be between the feed and this area in a spot where thermals might be favorable to ambush them on the way.

Rifle or bow?

Fogalo

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn’t be surprised if they aren’t where you found them this summer. I mean start there, but don’t commit to that area if they’re not there.

OP
M

madtinker

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the thoughts! This is a rifle hunt. I hunted the same unit last year and I know there will be a bunch of pressure on the other side of the mountain, and nearly zero pressure on this side - it’s just not got any obvious access, so I didn’t try hunting it last year. This spring I found a way in and have seen elk there consistently since then. As has been said, it likely won’t work out how I think.

Setting up on travel routes makes sense, and maintaining flexibility is a major plus. If it’s the last day and I haven’t any other options I can be get more aggressive.

I noticed nobody voted for charging right in or setting up right on the spot.

Very interested if anyone has additional thoughts!

Marble

WKR
I would want to know what their movements are, where they go into the timber at, what time that is, what the wind is doing at different times of the day, etc.

I would probably be very aggressive, but smart.

I would definitely not be waiting on the bedding area. They are going to enter that area with the ind on their favor. They will also bed with great visibility 360 degrees.

You could try to call them out. But, IME, during rifle, it's tough.

Go in with no regrets permitted, and use it as a way to learn the animals and the area.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk