Application Strategy with Mix of Opportunity and Trophy?

jlw0142

Lil-Rokslider
Off topic, but good luck in law school apps. I’m from the southeast so I plan to stay here and go on 1 or 2 big trips a year out west, but I was seriously considering Utah and AZ state for the same reasons you are. Just got admitted to AZ state actually, so if I end up there I will holler at you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wingmaster

Lil-Rokslider
You could further break down your strategy by state into species. For example, if elk hunting is less of a priority, you could keep those applications to trophy units while applying for opportunity units for mule deer. Also may want to look into archery applications to see if that provides opportunity on a faster timeline.

I wouldn't start now for Arizona, Nevada, or Utah. When I started 10 years ago, I still figured Nevada and Utah were too unlikely. All I can do now with decent odds are late hunts in Arizona.

I would actually just not buy points starting now. Every state you're into for something like $200. Five states at $200 is a $1000 you don't spend on trips you're not taking. Put that money in a savings account and let it earn interest. Then, buy a tag.

OP
Z

ZMT

Lil-Rokslider
University of Wyoming law school. You can have great hunts every year for multiple species while building points elsewhere, can hunt on weekends, can hunt archery AND rifle, and Laramie is still very affordable compared to a certified s#>thole like Boulder CO.
Hadn't thought about it, but I'll definitely look into it

Many don't think of it, but Oregon archery is available on zero points if you are not able to hit on anything else in other states, and you have until May 15 to apply. The hunts are the standard 10-15% success OTC-level quality, but it's better than nothing. You can get a rifle tag with 2-5 points, but the success rates don't improve much over archery.
I think I hadn't looked too much into it since it seemed very different from what I thought an elk trip would look like, but it sounds like something I should look into. Getting a decent Roosevelt bull is on the bucket list

Off topic, but good luck in law school apps. I’m from the southeast so I plan to stay here and go on 1 or 2 big trips a year out west, but I was seriously considering Utah and AZ state for the same reasons you are. Just got admitted to AZ state actually, so if I end up there I will holler at you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks man, that sounds good. Definitely applying to ASU. Congrats on getting in, definitely not easy for law school

Good chance that pumping shit out west pays better than being an attorney.
I had thought about it - it's a contracting job and the pay is terrible, but the owners live in a mansion so they're doing something right. I'll talk to them more about what goes into the business to see if I can learn more about running it
You could further break down your strategy by state into species. For example, if elk hunting is less of a priority, you could keep those applications to trophy units while applying for opportunity units for mule deer. Also may want to look into archery applications to see if that provides opportunity on a faster timeline.
That's a good idea. I was trying to keep it tailored towards elk because of the sub forum, but hoping to do an antelope hunt every 2-3 years and a mule deer hunt every year or two, with a similar strategy as elk

wingmaster

Lil-Rokslider
That's a good idea. I was trying to keep it tailored towards elk because of the sub forum, but hoping to do an antelope hunt every 2-3 years and a mule deer hunt every year or two, with a similar strategy as elk
My mistake for not realizing what forum this was in. In that case, I think your plan looks good, mine is pretty much identical, although I include Oregon/California in order to get Roosevelt and Tule Elk. I'd skip CA if you never find yourself living here though, the cost is steep.

IdahoBeav

WKR
I think I hadn't looked too much into it since it seemed very different from what I thought an elk trip would look like, but it sounds like something I should look into. Getting a decent Roosevelt bull is on the bucket list
There are Rockies in Oregon east of the Cascades. I believe the the tag is still general OTC on the west side for Roosevelt.

OP
Z

ZMT

Lil-Rokslider
My mistake for not realizing what forum this was in. In that case, I think your plan looks good, mine is pretty much identical, although I include Oregon/California in order to get Roosevelt and Tule Elk. I'd skip CA if you never find yourself living here though, the cost is steep.
No worries, thank you. I pray I won't be living in California, but if I do, a Tule wouldn't be a bad consolation prize.
There are Rockies in Oregon east of the Cascades. I believe the the tag is still general OTC on the west side for Roosevelt.
Thanks, I'll definitely have to look more into that. I may try to find an outfitted hunt in a few years since I would have no idea where to start out there