Application Strategy with Mix of Opportunity and Trophy?

ZMT

Lil-Rokslider
Hi all, I apologize if this is a faux pas. New to the forum and I know asking about units is a no-go, but not sure if application strategies are the same way. If so, let me know and I can take this down but if not, I'd love some critiques on my application strategy going forward.

I'm looking to apply to 4-6 states and have a good mixture of opportunity while still having a state or two that I can build points for 20+ years. Here's what I was thinking:

Colorado - cash out on points every 1-2 years
Wyoming - build 5-6 points for general (I realize this may change if they go ahead and divide up into regions)
New Mexico - apply to most difficult units every year (might as well add on since I'm applying for sheep)
Utah - save points for best trophy units
Nevada - save points for best trophy units
Arizona - save points for best trophy units
Montana - general or trophy?

I'm not necessarily looking to go for elk every year, since I'm not sure I'd be able to get enough time off work and I'll also be hunting mule deer and pronghorn. Does this strategy look decent? I'm thinking about trimming Colorado until OTC is gone to save some money

cmahoney

WKR
If you have time to hunt, I think applying for tags in those states you are planning on saving points in is a better option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it realistic to ever expect to draw a good tag in UT or NV? I had those two in the "out of reach" space in my brain.

KHNC

WKR
UT took 9 for a great elk tag not 2-3 years ago. Now i hear its 12-13 for the same tag.

cmahoney

WKR
Is it realistic to ever expect to draw a good tag in UT or NV? I had those two in the "out of reach" space in my brain.

I drew a Utah limited entry on the random this year and I’m a non resident. Lots of people draw great NV tags every year as non residents. The stats are posted on the NDOW website under hunting resources.

OP
Z

ZMT

Lil-Rokslider
Where do you live? How old are you?

I’d focus on states close by and drawing tags more frequently. Seems like a lot of apps. But hey, if you outlive everyone in your cohort you might draw a good tag 😀
Right now I'm on the East Coast. I'm 21 and pump s**t right now for a job, so I'm looking to get out of it.

I've been studying for law school, so it's a crap shoot where I'll end up. Applying to Arizona State, University of Colorado, and BYU for sure though so I'm closer to the action. Not that I'm making the choice based on hunting opportunities, but if two schools are even, I'd opt for the place I'd enjoy living in. Planning on moving to Utah after graduation since there's a great job market there, but nothing set in stone obviously

If you have time to hunt, I think applying for tags in those states you are planning on saving points in is a better option.

I was planning on applying for tags in those units, but didn't want to bank on being chosen in the random pools since that's almost impossible in my mind. I'd like a state or two I can save up points in to dream about big bulls. Less concerned about the trophy quality in 20 years, just it would be nice to have something like that to dream about for a few decades.
NV definitely not, but I'm applying for sheep so I figured the $19 is worth it. Top Rut makes it seem like there are some decent elk tags for the points, but no clue what it'll look like in a few decades.
UT took 9 for a great elk tag not 2-3 years ago. Now i hear its 12-13 for the same tag.
Unfortunately I imagine it'll just get worse over time. Seems like more and more of my generation is getting into the outdoors, which is both good and bad
I drew a Utah limited entry on the random this year and I’m a non resident. Lots of people draw great NV tags every year as non residents. The stats are posted on the NDOW website under hunting resources.

Thanks, that's what I'm praying for. Have a spreadsheet made out that calculates the odds for fun. Putting in for the best units in each state since I'm broke right now and only want to spend the money if the unit is phenomenal. Odds are at about 10% to draw random for the best units across every state and species I'm applying for, so who knows

OP
Z

ZMT

Lil-Rokslider
Wait till you knock some gal up. All your elk hopes and dreams will disappear.
I'm pretty lucky. Have a girlfriend of 4 years who let's me go off on these trips and takes care of everything while I'm gone. Just have to make sure I pull my weight while I'm here. Kids will obviously change things, but I have no worries on her end about whether I can get away. More worried about me not wanting to leave her with all the things to do while I'm gone. Hoping to move out where I can do weekend trips instead of multiple weeks at a time

Hnthrdr

WKR
Well my dude, after reading through this if you want to live out west and own a home you should either be saving all that app money for a down payment or hope you or your girlfriend get a really really good job… cool that you have a plan just remember life throws lots of curves, and living out west is about as expensive as Cali these days…

Well, since you are set on moving west it does make sense to build some points.

Utah as a resident is doable since you have to pick one LE and one OIL. Of course archery is generally easier to draw tags so get into that, plus a lot more OTC options for archery like CO. And mule deer archery draw in CO and NV is attainable.

You should make a plan right now to put all of the money into an IRA that you would waste yearly on tags (that you will never draw) in Utah, Nevada and Arizona.

You'll thank me in 40 years.

Meh, maybe not, I will be dead by then.

OP
Z

ZMT

Lil-Rokslider
Well my dude, after reading through this if you want to live out west and own a home you should either be saving all that app money for a down payment or hope you or your girlfriend get a really really good job… cool that you have a plan just remember life throws lots of curves, and living out west is about as expensive as Cali these days…
Yeah unfortunately it seems like just about everywhere has gotten crazy expensive. I was considering the Midwest, but I think I need to live somewhere with at least some mountains.
Well, since you are set on moving west it does make sense to build some points.

Utah as a resident is doable since you have to pick one LE and one OIL. Of course archery is generally easier to draw tags so get into that, plus a lot more OTC options for archery like CO. And mule deer archery draw in CO and NV is attainable.
I really like the looks of Utah. Seems like a much more reasonable place than Colorado is turning into
You should make a plan right now to put all of the money into an IRA that you would waste yearly on tags (that you will never draw) in Utah, Nevada and Arizona.

You'll thank me in 40 years.

Meh, maybe not, I will be dead by then.
I had thought about that and did the math to double check. Adjusted for inflation, after 30 years, that money would be worth about $80,000. That's by no means a small sum of money, but I think I would regret not trying to draw those sheep tags. It's a life goal of mine and in 30 years, I have a feeling a sheep tag will cost a lot more than that $80k. The chance to get some great other tags with deer, elk, and antelope are just a bonus on top of that for me

I had thought about that and did the math to double check. Adjusted for inflation, after 30 years, that money would be worth about $80,000. That's by no means a small sum of money, but I think I would regret not trying to draw those sheep tags. It's a life goal of mine and in 30 years, I have a feeling a sheep tag will cost a lot more than that $80k. The chance to get some great other tags with deer, elk, and antelope are just a bonus on top of that for me
If sheep is what you want forget about drawing a tag. Either move to Alaska, Yukon, BC and go hunt every year. Plenty of great professional jobs in those areas.

Or you will have to win a big class action lawsuit with your law degree. then you can afford to buy sheep tags 😀

Jaquomo

WKR
University of Wyoming law school. You can have great hunts every year for multiple species while building points elsewhere, can hunt on weekends, can hunt archery AND rifle, and Laramie is still very affordable compared to a certified s#>thole like Boulder CO.

IdahoBeav

WKR
Many don't think of it, but Oregon archery is available on zero points if you are not able to hit on anything else in other states, and you have until May 15 to apply. The hunts are the standard 10-15% success OTC-level quality, but it's better than nothing. You can get a rifle tag with 2-5 points, but the success rates don't improve much over archery.