Help me scope my mountain rifle

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
You are building a lightweight mountain rifle and trying to put target/precision rifle magnification on it.
You're right, I am. But I also don't believe it cant be done. The Zeiss and Swaro both accomplish this just fine, and I'm sure the March would too, I just haven't mounted it up yet. Head position is not a problem. All provide adequate FOV throughout the power range. Yes it gets tighter at max, but that's to be expected. Low or medium rings also work just fine for all three of these scopes. I'm not using a rail.

Last edited:

Antares

WKR
Nightforce NXS 2-10. 20oz, fits all your criteria. Magnification for hunting scenarios is way overrated for all practical purposes.

I think this is the answer.

OP says he's practicing out to 800 yards which tells me he's planning on hunting well inside 800 yards. 10x is fine for these ranges, but yes, if I'm being honest I wish this scope was 3-12x instead of 2.5-10x. You want non-illuminated? Fine, don't turn on the illumination.

prm

WKR
….

Lightweight, 25oz max
30 mil tube
top end mag range in the 16-20X range
Durability/Reliability/Predictability
Track/RTZ and retain zero
Usable reticle. Not busy. Wind holds on horizontal.
SFP/MOA
prefer non illuminated (center illum only ok)
will dial, but for hunting use (not every shot) and reasonable practice out to maybe 800ish.
….
So folks, which are you going with and why?

That‘s not dramatically different from my own desires. I don’t think this exists. You need to prioritize and see what may work. What you describe, to me, points to the Nightforce 2-10 NXS. Certainly does not hit all points, but a SFP/MOA and durable scope describes the NXS. In your case, I think you need to choose <25oz or 16-20 zoom.

I have a Trijicon 2.5-15x42 Credo which might come close to what you are looking for. The physical characteristics are close anyway. SFP/MOA, 15x, etc. I do not about the durability and performance yet.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Except that both spectacularly fail your fourth and fifth points…
Was waiting for this. Form, I know the Zeiss V4 went down in flames, but I never saw a V6 test of yours. Did you do a V6 specific test? Its built in an entirely different factory in Germany and other anecdotal interweb reports seem to show the V6 as much more reliable. I have dialed mine a good bit with zero issues. I've not dropped it hard, although it has tipped over leaning against a truck tire. Zero held. I also have a friend who had his Z6 topped rifle go over a 12' cliff on a hunt and it held zero too.

So assume you're going with March on this one?

I know what I'm looking for doesn't perfectly exist unfortunately. I guess what I'm looking for is which compromise do I accept? I want to go with March too, but the reticle clarity is an issue I don't know if I can get over.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Was waiting for this. Form, I know the Zeiss V4 went down in flames, but I never saw a V6 test of yours. Did you do a V6 specific test? Its built in an entirely different factory in Germany and other anecdotal interweb reports seem to show the V6 as much more reliable. I have dialed mine a good bit with zero issues. I've not dropped it hard, although it has tipped over leaning against a truck tire. Zero held. I also have a friend who had his Z6 topped rifle go over a 12' cliff on a hunt and it held zero too.

So assume you're going with March on this one?

I know what I'm looking for doesn't perfectly exist unfortunately. I guess what I'm looking for is which compromise do I accept? I want to go with March too, but the reticle clarity is an issue I don't know if I can get over.

They’ll be the field evals here of both at some point so that people can judge for themselves. However, I haven’t seen anything notably good with either. They tend to work for light use and little shooting, but do not take impacts well.

As for the March, I do not have enough experience to say either way.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
That‘s not dramatically different from my own desires. I don’t think this exists. You need to prioritize and see what may work. What you describe, to me, points to the Nightforce 2-10 NXS. Certainly does not hit all points, but a SFP/MOA and durable scope describes the NXS. In your case, I think you need to choose <25oz or 16-20 zoom.

I have a Trijicon 2.5-15x42 Credo which might come close to what you are looking for. The physical characteristics are close anyway. SFP/MOA, 15x, etc. I do not about the durability and performance yet.
Trijicon reticles are a deal breaker to me. Too much illumination. I want more mag than 10X as my eyes aren't what they once were. I have the NXS 3-15 on another rifle and I mostly like it, don't love the reticle but its OK, but it's just too big and heavy for this gun.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Swaro Z6 2.5-15x44 with BRH reticle
30mm
Weighs 21 oz with included lense covers

If Swaro could figure out how to build that scope with a durable erector system and not much more weight, they would have a category killer! The glass, FOV and eyebox are best in class. I love everything about this scope, but just don't trust it. Or conversely, I've they could figure out a way to lighten up the X5 a bit, and not make such offensively large turrets, they'd kill it with that one too. I swear, they must make that thing with sasquatch in mind as their target market!

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
If Swaro could figure out how to build that scope with a durable erector system and not much more weight, they would have a category killer! The glass, FOV and eyebox are best in class. I love everything about this scope, but just don't trust it. Or conversely, I've they could figure out a way to lighten up the X5 a bit, and not make such offensively large turrets, they'd kill it with that one too. I swear, they must make that thing with sasquatch in mind as their target market!

The X5 is the result of Swarovski building a scope that actually functions correctly. They wanted the Z series to be the long range hunting scope. When tested…. It didn’t work out. What you see with the x5 is a company that wanted a lightweight good hunting scope suitable for dialing work to make a scope suitable for dialing. That’s the result.

You want high zoom ratio, great “glass”, and good features that actually works- that’s the type of scope you are getting.

I also don't get the magnification requirement. I shoot fixed 6X on all my rifles 22LR to 300 WM. Magnification would go down, not up, for me on certain hunts (large Alaskan brown bear), though I'm getting pretty good at any range from 25 yards out with 6X since I started squirrel hunting with 6X.

Last edited:
OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
The X5 is the result of Swarovski building a scope that actually functions correctly. They wanted the Z series to be the long range hunting scope. When tested…. It didn’t work out. What you see with the x5 is a company that wanted a lightweight good hunting scope suitable for dialing work to make a scope suitable for dialing. That’s the result.

You want high zoom ratio, great “glass”, and good features that actually works- that’s the type of scope you are getting.
I know. I might could accept the "weight penalty" of the X5, if it weren't for those gigantic turrets! Was Kareem Abdul Jabar the test candidate when they designed those things? Or an astronaut wearing space mittens? I don't get it.

warrbuk

WKR
SDHNTR

If you go with the Talley's you will need mediums. Lows will not work with that straight bolt handle/ knob. I had mediums and they barely cleared the ocular portion of a NX8 4-32. If you have a stock with a lot of drop at the comb and like a good cheek weld it may require a pad to get the height up,

madcalfe

WKR
lol reliable dialing and light weight is where your gonna have a tough time.
out of the scope you have id probably go with the v6 as i don't know much about march.

if you willing to go up to x5 weight that opens up a bit more optics
Mark5HD
V8
schmidt and bender pm II

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
SDHNTR

If you go with the Talley's you will need mediums. Lows will not work with that straight bolt handle/ knob. I had mediums and they barely cleared the ocular portion of a NX8 4-32. If you have a stock with a lot of drop at the comb and like a good cheek weld it may require a pad to get the height up,
Yes, Mediums clear just fine and my stock is fine for the height. It has a raised comb.

BCD

WKR
Trijicon reticles are a deal breaker to me. Too much illumination. I want more mag than 10X as my eyes aren't what they once were. I have the NXS 3-15 on another rifle and I mostly like it, don't love the reticle but its OK, but it's just too big and heavy for this gun.
Which Trijicon model and reticle are you referring to and what didn't you like about the illumination?

QuackAttack

Lil-Rokslider
You can fix Trijicon illum, if it’s the fibre optic, by putting tape over it. Them pull tab it up in low light as needed.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
The hashed one is too busy for my preferences. And I wish it was only center illumination. The center dot illum version is too basic and needs some hashes. I wish they'd marry the two. I know, I'm a particular bugger!