Help me scope my mountain rifle

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Which Trijicon model and reticle are you referring to and what didn't you like about the illumination?
The hashed one is too busy for my preferences. And I wish it was only center illumination. The center dot illum version is too basic and needs some hashes. I wish they'd marry the two. I know, I'm a particular bugger!

Reactions: BCD

Gotitbad

FNG
How about Leupold VX scout 1.5-4 28mm 8.4 oz. Not much magnification but out 400 yds it would work.

Super tag

WKR
Other than your weight requirement why not Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50 it’s definitely durable, predictable, and dependable although it does weigh slightly more, 6oz I believe, other than that it checks all the boxes better than almost anything else, also a great value at $1,800.00

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
I’ve got a March 2.5-20x52 on its way from Japan. Will report once I get a chance to mount it up and shoot.

LightFoot

WKR
I’ve got a March 2.5-20x52 on its way from Japan. Will report once I get a chance to mount it up and shoot.
Why did you decide on March?

Looking forward to reading your review and hearing about your success with it.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Why did you decide on March?

Looking forward to reading your review and hearing about your success with it.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
From what I can tell, it seems to have the best construction at the lightest weight. That was the main reason. Time will tell.

The hashed one is too busy for my preferences. And I wish it was only center illumination. The center dot illum version is too basic and needs some hashes. I wish they'd marry the two. I know, I'm a particular bugger!
Trijicon TR23 might answer your problem. Its a 5-20x50 with adjustable illumination dot center with BDC type reticle. I have one that has survived some rough hunts, jarring sidexside rides and 4 wheeler rides while holding true zero. I've made some long late evening shots with it. Dot has just the right amount of illumination but doesn't overpower your view. Try it out.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
You resurrected an old thread, but I guess it’s worthy of an update. In addition to the Swaro Z6 with the sheared erector, the other one stopped tracking properly. They both were repaired by Swaro and sold.

The Zeiss v6 tracks fine and is still in use on my “loaner” rifle. Just shot it out to 750 a few days ago. Works well, still don’t love the parallax knob, but it’s fine for what I use it for. I also don’t trust it fully to survive impact and treat it with kid gloves.

I went with the March on this particular gun. I like it, don’t love it. Was dumb to get it in SFP. That was a mistake I knew better from the start. I also have a hard time getting focus and parralax married together for a perfectly clean image and reticle at the same time, but that’s just me. Something unique to my eyesight. It’s definitely usable. Tracks perfectly and I have no reason not to trust it. I know March does some impact testing at the factory. If I could get that focus issue worked out and if I had gone FFP it would be a nearly perfect lightweight LR hunting rifle scope.

So… I’m still looking for perfect. There’s still tradeoffs remaining. Given all that, my synopsis is thus:

Out to medium range - NF SHV 3-10x42 if I won’t dial much, NXS 2.5-10 if I will.

LR - NF NXS 3-15x50 for SFP or NX8 4-32 (it’s way better than the 2.5-20!) in FFP and just deal with the weight.

I’d be fine throwing some Trijicons in there too, I just prefer the center crosshair over the floating dot.

Last edited: