Help me stop running in circles!

Hey everyone, looking for help/opinions as I research an optic for a new quick shooting rifle reticle. Feel like I've read and watched 100 different opinions on the topic and after all of the research feel almost less confident now then if I would've closed my eyes and picked to start.

A little background on what I am looking for. It'll be on a Remington 7400 30-06 that maximum range will be under 300 yards, and likely shot under 100 yards most of the time. It's purpose will be whitetail hunting and anticipate using it on running shots frequently. I would potentially like a reticle with some practical info in it beyond the standard duplex but haven't really found anything I like. I'd like to keep it around $1000 but am not averse to more if there's some knock dead favorite out there.

From some research it seems like fixed parallax won't matter as the parallax error at the distances I plan on using this set up is minimal. Previously, I have not had illumination on my scopes but as I will use this set up in dark timber I can see the benefit of having that in the scope.

So that leads to where I am leaning at the moment.

1. Nightforce SHV - 3-10x42 with a standard duplex reticle

This is my favorite option largely because of the reliability. This gun will be in and out of the truck and liable to being bumped (potentially somewhat hard) in many situations.

2. Leupold Vx-5HD 2-10X42 with the Fire dot reticle

Seems like the best glass in the price class and love the locking elevation dial. (elevation dial largely would be used when on the range but potentially in a one off hunting scenario where I have time to dial)
BUT
very concerned with durability. It's hard to tell if the durability issues are being blown out of proportion. It is very possible this rifle could be leaned on a tree or fall over or slipped and fallen on, etc. Would rather not be thinking if I need to check the zero every time it's touched.

Scopes I've also considered
Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10x44 with dead-hold BDC reticle
Seems like the Nightforce without illumination in my opinion
Maven RS.2 2-10x38 with SHR reticle
No illumination but I think this reticle is essentially the level of intelligence I'm looking for.

If you're still here, thanks for sticking with me. I would really appreciate any insight you have with this decision!

Your use case is not demanding. To 300 one does not need much on a reticle imo. Trijicon Huron’s are designed for deer hunters and may be a good fit, but have not been drop tested here that I've seen. A 2-7x33 size or 3-9x40 would likely do well for you. Give a Doug a shout. That Nightforce SHV should work very well too. Actually a LPV like a 1-4 or 1-8 power may be ideal. Nightforce, Trijicon Credo and Tenmile, and the Maven 1.2 model have held up well in drop testing here. So have most SWFA’s, but availability has been difficult. Check out the drop tests in the Long Range forum if you have not already.

Your use case is not demanding. To 300 one does not need much on a reticle imo. Trijicon Huron’s are designed for deer hunters and may be a good fit, but have not been drop tested here that I've seen. A 2-7x33 size or 3-9x40 would likely do well for you. Give a Doug a shout. That Nightforce SHV should work very well too. Actually a LPV like a 1-4 or 1-8 power may be ideal. Nightforce, Trijicon Credo and Tenmile, and the Maven 1.2 model have held up well in drop testing here. So have most SWFA’s, but availability has been difficult. Check out the drop tests in the Long Range forum if you have not already.
Thanks for the insight! Was unaware of the drop tests which I am very curious about

Hey everyone, looking for help/opinions as I research an optic for a new quick shooting rifle reticle. Feel like I've read and watched 100 different opinions on the topic and after all of the research feel almost less confident now then if I would've closed my eyes and picked to start.

A little background on what I am looking for. It'll be on a Remington 7400 30-06 that maximum range will be under 300 yards, and likely shot under 100 yards most of the time. It's purpose will be whitetail hunting and anticipate using it on running shots frequently. I would potentially like a reticle with some practical info in it beyond the standard duplex but haven't really found anything I like. I'd like to keep it around $1000 but am not averse to more if there's some knock dead favorite out there.

From some research it seems like fixed parallax won't matter as the parallax error at the distances I plan on using this set up is minimal. Previously, I have not had illumination on my scopes but as I will use this set up in dark timber I can see the benefit of having that in the scope.

So that leads to where I am leaning at the moment.

1. Nightforce SHV - 3-10x42 with a standard duplex reticle

This is my favorite option largely because of the reliability. This gun will be in and out of the truck and liable to being bumped (potentially somewhat hard) in many situations.

2. Leupold Vx-5HD 2-10X42 with the Fire dot reticle

Seems like the best glass in the price class and love the locking elevation dial. (elevation dial largely would be used when on the range but potentially in a one off hunting scenario where I have time to dial)
BUT
very concerned with durability. It's hard to tell if the durability issues are being blown out of proportion. It is very possible this rifle could be leaned on a tree or fall over or slipped and fallen on, etc. Would rather not be thinking if I need to check the zero every time it's touched.

Scopes I've also considered
Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10x44 with dead-hold BDC reticle
Seems like the Nightforce without illumination in my opinion
Maven RS.2 2-10x38 with SHR reticle
No illumination but I think this reticle is essentially the level of intelligence I'm looking for.

If you're still here, thanks for sticking with me. I would really appreciate any insight you have with this decision!
Funnily enough this is exactly what I’m dealing with!! But with a Model 70 in 270 Win

That's northeastern bread and butter. Not sure where you are and how you hunt, but personally I've never seen a 300 yard shot in my area, so I would have said 99.9% of shots would be 200 and in, with the large majority WELL under 100…is that you also, or is a 200-300 yard shot truly realistic?

If 200 and in, I wouldn't mess with anything with an exposed turret or ffp or any reticle marks, its just useless noise at that point. Zero at 100 yards and you’ll be only about 2” low at 200, its an easy correction if you practice and really only needed for a tiny % of your shots. Or zero exactly 1” high at 100 and you’ll be almost exactly 1” low at 200–a very minimal max point blank range zero like this is close enough that you can aim dead-on for all shots inside that range and the built-in error is still small. I don't like a larger mpbr zero though, too much built in error for me that only helps in too-few real situations. An SHV or a trijicon would be my votes for a scope in this category, as I've had reliability problems with some other scopes that are popular.

If 300 yards is realistic and you want a reticle to assist with longer shots, consider something like the trijicon accupoint or credo 1-6 or 3-9, in the mil-square reticle. They are pretty robust scopes, and the mil-dots correspond closely with your actual drops (moa dots dont). 1/2 mil for 200, 1 mil for 300, 2 mils for 400, etc. I would not choose a scope with more than 10x magnification on the upper end for this because a 2fp reticle hold will only work at maximum magnification, and more than 10x limits your field of view too much in the woods.

Last edited:
Thats northeastern bread and butter. Not sure where you are and how you hunt, but personally Ive never seen a 300 yard shot, so I would have said 99.9% of shots would be 200 and in…is that you also, or is a 200-300 yard shot truly realistic?

If 200 and in, I wouldnt mess with anything with an exposed turret or ffp or any reticle
Marks, its just useless noise at that point. Zero at 100 yards and you’ll be only about 2” low at 200, its an easy correction if you oractice and really only needed for a tiny % of your shots. Or zero exactly 1” high at 100 and you’ll be almost exactly 1” low at 200–a very minimal max point blank range zero like this is close enough that you can aim dead-on for all shots inside that range and the built-in error is still small. I dont like a larger mpbr zero though, too much built in error for me that inly helps in too-few real situations. An SHV or a trijicon would be my votes for a scope in this category, as Ive had reliability problems with some other scopes that are popular.

If 300 yards is realistic and you want a reticle to assist with longer shots, consider something like the trijicon accupoint or credo 1-6 or 3-9, in the mil-square reticle. They are pretty robust scopes, and the mil-dots correspond closely with your actual drops (moa dots dont). 1/2 mil for 200, 1 mil for 300, 2 mils for 400, etc. I would not choose a scope with more than 10x magnification on the upper end for this because a 2fp reticle hold will only work at maximum magnification, and more than 10x limits your field of view too much in the woods.
Thanks for the insight! An opportunity over 100 yards would be a very small percentage. Originally I was thinking IF the opportunity presented itself for a longer shot, having a reference point in the reticle would be reassuring. But like you've pointed out, the bullet drop at that distance probably isn't enough the warrent needing any marks and its likely I never take a shot that far.

Appreciate it!

That’s pretty similar to my situation here in MN. I ended ordering to a 2.5-10x56 Trij Accupoint for the low light ability. Still waiting for it to show up tho lol. It’s got an illuminated dot that uses tritium fibers believe (so no batteries).

For that style of hunting and an under 200yard shooter I'd go with no parallax adjustment, probably a 2nd focal plane, and the ability to have a low power magnification for those running shots. I'm also a standard mil-dot reticle fan. Trijicon has a credo, 3-9, 2nd focal plane that I personally like for hunting in the northeast. And the credos have been drop tested here and done pretty well with retaining zero, etc.

Back