Help on Gun Vault Room

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Anyone built a fully enclosed gun vault room? Have a few questions on a new build. I must have 50 hours into research on the net and different opinions all over the place.

1. Fire sprinklers are code where we live, sounds like I cannot get out of having one in the vault room which kind of defeats half the purpose of the room being 100% fireproof. We have 8 inch concrete walls and a 4 inch ceiling that have been waterproofed already. If a fire sprinkler goes off in the room I pretty much destroy everything anyway correct? Would have to get above 165 degrees, not sure that's possible
2. We of course want the room vented to prevent rust as well I am assuming, we have a whole home humidifier which complicates everything. Considering putting a dehumidifier in the room. Anyone done this and recommendations? If I had been smart I would have put a drain in the room which I didn't, would have given the dehumidifier a place to drain instead of putting a hole in the wall creating another weak point. Or would you keep not vented, but just count on the dehumidifier?
3. Regarding venting, I know there are vents that will shut in case of a fire to prevent fire and smoke from getting into the room, I can't seem to find what I am looking for, anyone done this? What did you use?
4. What would you do for flooring?
5. What caulk for the few weak point holes would be 100% sealed and fireproof?
6. Anything I am missing?

426886953_772057461484856_7697305674589833574_n.jpg

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Don't be afraid of the drain for the dehumidifier, it is necessary and today they make so many caulks that would seal it up just fine. You will get tired of dumping the water bucket real fast.

As far as venting, is this just a gun room? If you plan to double duty as a safe/panic room, think about outside air from well away from the house ducting in/out.

Legend

WKR
Anyone built a fully enclosed gun vault room? Have a few questions on a new build. I must have 50 hours into research on the net and different opinions all over the place.

1. Fire sprinklers are code where we live, sounds like I cannot get out of having one in the vault room which kind of defeats half the purpose of the room being 100% fireproof. We have 8 inch concrete walls and a 4 inch ceiling that have been waterproofed already. If a fire sprinkler goes off in the room I pretty much destroy everything anyway correct? Would have to get above 165 degrees, not sure that's possible
2. We of course want the room vented to prevent rust as well I am assuming, we have a whole home humidifier which complicates everything. Considering putting a dehumidifier in the room. Anyone done this and recommendations? If I had been smart I would have put a drain in the room which I didn't, would have given the dehumidifier a place to drain instead of putting a hole in the wall creating another weak point. Or would you keep not vented, but just count on the dehumidifier?
3. Regarding venting, I know there are vents that will shut in case of a fire to prevent fire and smoke from getting into the room, I can't seem to find what I am looking for, anyone done this? What did you use?
4. What would you do for flooring?
5. What caulk for the few weak point holes would be 100% sealed and fireproof?
6. Anything I am missing?

View attachment 673207
I do not see how you will be able to put a concrete lid on it? Your floor joists on the right side of the photo consumed the entire concrete wall. What is the plan for the lid now?

OP
Happy Antelope

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Don't be afraid of the drain for the dehumidifier, it is necessary and today they make so many caulks that would seal it up just fine. You will get tired of dumping the water bucket real fast.

As far as venting, is this just a gun room? If you plan to double duty as a safe/panic room, think about outside air from well away from the house ducting in/out.
Just a gun safe, no panic room.

OP
Happy Antelope

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I do not see how you will be able to put a concrete lid on it? Your floor joists on the right side of the photo consumed the entire concrete wall. What is the plan for the lid now?
The framers messed that up, that framing in the picture was pulled out and lowered a foot so we could do a concrete roof. Good eye!

OP
Happy Antelope

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Pass the inspection and then remove the sprinkler.
That was the plan originally, but I'm an insurance agent and there is a small provision in every home policy called a "protective safeguards warranty". Basically says if your sprinkler system, alarm, deadbolt, etc are not working and there is a claim they can deny coverage. Not sure I want to test it to be honest. I have seen large commercial fire claims be declined because the building owner knew the sprinkler system was broken and did nothing to fix it.

OP
Happy Antelope

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Is the rod enough in a fairly dry climate for a room that big?

Legend

WKR
Lighting will be important as it will be dark. You can always make it bright. But with some thought you can make your room a show case.....I am assuming a room that big has something to show off.

I might save a wall to have built in shallow drawers. To store the little things.

As for the sprinkler I would bet the inspector would be open to not installing a sprinkler. It has very little material that can burn and it is highly unlikely to spread from inside to out. Ask if you can install a fire alarm inside the vault in place of a sprinkler head. And have the alarm tied to the whole house fire alarm system. I bet the inspector has room to accommodate.

geterdone

FNG
Lighting will be important as it will be dark. You can always make it bright. But with some thought you can make your room a show case.....I am assuming a room that big has something to show off.

I might save a wall to have built in shallow drawers. To store the little things.

As for the sprinkler I would bet the inspector would be open to not installing a sprinkler. It has very little material that can burn and it is highly unlikely to spread from inside to out. Ask if you can install a fire alarm inside the vault in place of a sprinkler head. And have the alarm tied to the whole house fire alarm system. I bet the inspector has room to accommodate.
I would file for an exception as stated above. There might be a minimum fire rating of the walls and roof that would exempt you, would probably require a steel stud wall/ceiling with a few layers of sheetrock on the inside. They may also let you install a dry or gas fire suppression system, that would at least prevent damage from a failure of sprinkler head or pipe bursting.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Wheels

WKR
Leave the sprinkler head in the room. Only time it would activate is if there is a fire or you set it off by breaking the bulb. Was in the business for 35+ years and don’t believe what you see in the movies, they don’t just go off.

CorbLand

WKR
Very limited experience with fire suppression sprinklers but I would look into getting an exemption. They should only go off if something causes that particular one to go off but the amount of water they put out is pretty amazing. If you have a sealed, fire proof room and it goes off, well, I hope you have flood insurance.

SWOHTR

WKR
You could also put a cutout valve in the supply pipe to the sprinkler head…

The best suggestion is the “file for an exemption” piece though.

strousek

Lil-Rokslider
You can get either a fused link fire damper for the airflow or a true smoke and fire electrical damper. The fused link is a simple drop curtain that is held up with lead or another metal with low melting point. As soon as there is enough heat to melt the lead it will drop the curtain preventing any airflow through your duct. Generally these are installed at your firewall penetration so inside the foundation wall. Contact a local commercial HVAC company and they should be able to supply you with whatever size damper you need.

KenLee

WKR
That was the plan originally, but I'm an insurance agent and there is a small provision in every home policy called a "protective safeguards warranty". Basically says if your sprinkler system, alarm, deadbolt, etc are not working and there is a claim they can deny coverage. Not sure I want to test it to be honest. I have seen large commercial fire claims be declined because the building owner knew the sprinkler system was broken and did nothing to fix it.
Any way to classify that room as garage vs home?

OP
Happy Antelope

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
County came by and said absolutely no exceptions, Apparently Park City has no interest in fires.

Next question the 4 inch concrete ceiling was poured today. Have the option to leave it as it is, spray simple foundation wall waterproofing on it for maybe some help if there is water from a fire, or full on waterproof it for what seems like a lot of money.

Thinking worry about the fire only, and water is what it is?

Spray foam the inside or just frame it? Will it collect more or less moisture?

We decided to vent the after all, use fire closing vents.

I should have put a drain in the room, if you ever build one do that!

Wrench

WKR
Install a dehumidifier with controllable % and drain it through the wall at the lowest spot. If the fire eats the hose.....you're gonna want a spot for the sprinklers to drain.

If it gets to hot enough to pop the heads.....odds are good the piping is already compromised in the main space.

Smoke is your enemy.....super acidic. Seals are important on seams and the door.

left hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I would still put the drain in. They will have to cut a trench through your concrete floor to get to the closest drain pipe but it will be worth it in the long run. It’s not a huge deal to cut through your concrete unless you have heated floors. Then it’s not possible