Help picking a Rangefinder- SIG, Nikon, Lieca, Vortex?

Jsunkler

Lil-Rokslider
I originally had a Vortex Ranger 1800 ordered thru expertcity, but after waiting 6 months and jumping thru hoops I have been informed that my order is not going to be processed.

So I am left back at the drawing board.

I need a rangefinder for:

- Bow and gun hunting
- Angle compensation for tree stands and mountain sides
- Long range capabilities for playing at the range and a max of 800 yard for animal sized targets
- Under $500

K

Kootenay Hunter

I like my Leupold 1200i TBR. Has bow and rifle settings, angle compensations for both rifle and bow, goes out to 800-1000 yds.

I think the equivalent now is the 1600i. $20 above you price max.

KHNC

WKR
the Ranger is a good choice. I hate to deal with experticity tho. I have the Ranger 1500 myself.

wildcat33

WKR
I picked up the Leica 2000b from eurooptic and thats worked pretty good for me. 100$ less than your budget too, so extra dough for a tripod mount.

catorres1

Lil-Rokslider
J,

There are lots of good choices, but it depends if you are wanting a ballistic return or just distance. If you are happy with distance and angle modified distance, you have tons of choices. My personal favorite would probably be the new Leica 2400 R, but not sure that's on the shelves yet. The pre BDX Sig Kilo 2200 is another that can be had rather cheaply, but really, I think any of the offerings from decent manufacturers would do out to 800 yards. One thing to consider if you are going to shoot that far, glass matters somewhat, and a whole lot if you are shooting at the last or the very first light of the day. My son's RF is good for a long poke, but the glass is so poor that once the sun is setting, you can't see very far anyway. This is one place where Leica really excels, the glass is excellent, and I've used it well past sunset and still find it absolutely useable.

If you are wanting a ballistic return that takes into account temp, pressure etc and gives you holds, then you are more limited in what will work for you in your price range. If you are going to shoot 800 yards or better, and in that price range, you might look at the BDX models from Sig, as they are running AB ultalite and also allow you to use a custom curve. AB ultralite will give you a ballistic return to 800 yards IIRC. To get the custom curve from Leica, you will have to step up into the 2700b, and those are outside what I understand your price range is.

One thing you will want to check is to make sure of if you go with a ballistics model RF is to be sure it will work well for bowhunting. Some of the older Leicas did not work well in this regard (the minimum distances were to high etc.) and some models will always apply some ballistic curve if they are to modify the distance for angle. Can't remember which models function which way at the moment, but it's something to consider when purchasing.

HTH!

Last edited:

tracker12

WKR
I have been running a Lieca for 20 years now. Every five years i upgrade models. Besides the accuracy this thing i like is the red readout. So much better than black.

tntrker

WKR
I got the Vortex 1300 Ranger for my elk hunt in MT this year. I like it, clear, angle comp, side clip

Whatever one you are deciding on, make sure it has the LED (light emitting diode display), not the LCD (liquid crystal display). Tracker12 touched on it in his reply. The LCD is black and very hard to see in low light, the LED is actually illuminated red numbers, and can be seen even in total darkness. You might have to pay a couple extra dollars to get the LED, but it might mean the difference of seeing the readout and not seeing it and being able to take a shot.

bmanb940

Lil-Rokslider
I have been using Nikon's first Generation Vibration Reduction Rangefinder for 2 season's now and it is the real deal. That being said, Nikon came out with a new and improved version the MONARCH 3000 Stabilized in Jan. 2018. Lots of great features and fits right into your budget. 5 year warranty on the entire unit. Check one o9ut, I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

I forgot to add the MONARCH 3000 Stabilized is $50 off until 8/26/18. Nice little bonus.

Last edited:

BlaserLRH

FNG
I have the leica 2000B, and I'm very happy with it.
Very compact, great optics, and ranges very far away..

HookUp

WKR
I am on my second Sig, upgraded for extended range and have zero problem reading the black numbers in any lighting condtions. Have been vry happy with the Sig.

LB02

FNG
Hello,
I just received a brand new unopened Vortex Ranger 1800 I won through an Az Elk Society raffle. I primarily hunt with a bow and this is more than I need obviously. I was looking to see if any had been sold on Rokslide and turned up this thread. If interested I would be willing to sell mine. I have looked at amazon and optics planet both list it for $429. I would be willing to sell it for $400 shipped. Please PM me for information or pictures or with any questions. If it was listed on expertcity for less I would be willing to discuss.
Thank you

So far I have been happy with my Sig Kilo

I have been using the SIG Kilo for a few years now and think it is a great piece of kit. I like the continuous ranging feature a lot. I have gotten out to well over 1400 yards with it and over 1000 on some animals when supported on a rest.