Help picking pack

Boblee

FNG
I am stuck choosing a pack , in the past month or so I have been sure I wanted the hoodlum, then it was the ma deuce , now the 44 mag . I don't see much comparing the hoodlum and the ma deuce .

I mostly whitetail hunt , some mule deer and occasionally elk . I don't do long stays, or at least haven't yet . My issue is that I hunt in cold , and cold with high winds . Single digits and 40+ mph winds aren't uncommon . So even though I'm not staying out several nights I carry pretty bulky gear due to the cold . I also usually have a tripod , a spotter , binoculars, and rifle or bow . If the pack also did a good job as a day pack or single overnight that would be a plus but not primary .

I currently use an eberlestock and and also concerned about losing the rifle scabbard . I have seen all the posts about kifarus gun bearer but it just seems to me like a poor ,afterthought type solution , hoping I'm wrong about that .

Any input is appreciated . I'm not totally set on kifaru I looked at stone glacier and exo stuff, possible one thier frames fit me better than kifaru ,I do not know as I have never seen any of them in person. I really don't care for sg bag design and am only partially sold on exo bags . Not totally opposed to mixing frame and bag brands together though.

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
Watch Rokslide Backpack Showdown one and two if you haven't already.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

OP
B

Boblee

FNG
Watch Rokslide Backpack Showdown one and two if you haven't already.

Just finished up part 2 this morning , I think I have seen every you tube video on each of the packs plus some on exo. Barney, eberletock and so. It's just so hard to choose sight unseen and not able to test fit with load . Thanks for your reply.

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just finished up part 2 this morning , I think I have seen every you tube video on each of the packs plus some on exo. Barney, eberletock and so. It's just so hard to choose sight unseen and not able to test fit with load . Thanks for your reply.
If you can swing it go to a sportsmans expo. That will give you the opportunity to get hands on.

OP
B

Boblee

FNG
That would be ideal , my current issue is on the east coast I have never seen any of the 3 brands I'm mainly interested in at any of the shows I been to, I'm not sure they were never there but I haven't seen them, the next one I'll have a chance to go to is in February and by then the sales will likely be over, I'm not convinced that need to buy now to save a little , likely be worth paying full price to get the right set up first time and I would do that and wait till February if any of those 3 brands were coming to the shows on the east coast that typically get to but I'm doubting they will , I guess I should e mail them and see if any plan to attend .

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
In my opinion you can always sinch a bigger pack down small, but when you need that extra room you cant make a smaller pack larger. That’s why I chose the Ma Duece over the 44 Mag.

I love my Ma Duece. It’s great for 2 week hunting/backpacking trips. You can also get those main bag straps down really small and just use the big side pockets. Or you can reroute the straps over the side pockets as well and tighten the whole pack down nice and small. Works really well for me.

Check this out. 10 days worth of gear and almost a whole boned out black tail on my back with the ma Duece and one of their large pockets that turns into its own small pack (forget the name).

28D9BE71-B5C8-47DA-9BF4-A197C5455CE9.jpeg

69078707-282D-4DB1-A4B9-D527A754BECB.jpeg

Several of the top tier (all of them?) let you return them for refund if you want to try them on. EXO 6400 for me. I also have an EXO 4800 for warm weather camping, but I usually still just take the 6400. I stuff my bag in the pack without a sack, and it stabilizes everything. Can cinch the straps down to day pack size.

OP
B

Boblee

FNG
In my opinion you can always sinch a bigger pack down small, but when you need that extra room you cant make a smaller pack larger. That’s why I chose the Ma Duece over the 44 Mag.

I love my Ma Duece. It’s great for 2 week hunting/backpacking trips. You can also get those main bag straps down really small and just use the big side pockets. Or you can reroute the straps over the side pockets as well and tighten the whole pack down nice and small. Works really well for me.

Check this out. 10 days worth of gear and almost a whole boned out black tail on my back with the ma Duece and one of their large pockets that turns into its own small pack (forget the name).

View attachment 348171

View attachment 348172
Thanks so much for the pics , and info . I know it's not gonna be the ma deuces wheelhouse but how well in your opinion would I work as a daypack if I had to use it that way .

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Thanks so much for the pics , and info . I know it's not gonna be the ma deuces wheelhouse but how well in your opinion would I work as a daypack if I had to use it that way .
I’ve used it as a day pack many times. The straps make it easy to tighten it down small. It’s a little heavy for a short day pack and it is just bulky in general.

You could always do what I did and get dedicated packs. I own the smallest version of the 44 mag which is the 22 Mag I think they call it. Love that pack as well. Basically just a mini version of my Ma Duece.

OP
B

Boblee

FNG
Does there seem to be a rule of thumb with frame brand vs body type ? I'm 5'10 kinda stalky build , wide chest , wide hips , no butt , big legs/ calves , used to to do a lot of heavy lifting but back issues stopped that a few years ago . Not sure if any of this is useful for suggesting frame brand . Thank you

OP
B

Boblee

FNG
I’ve used it as a day pack many times. The straps make it easy to tighten it down small. It’s a little heavy for a short day pack and it is just bulky in general.

You could always do what I did and get dedicated packs. I own the smallest version of the 44 mag which is the 22 Mag I think they call it. Love that pack as well. Basically just a mini version of my Ma Duece.
That would be my long term plan , 2 or maybe 3 bags , I'd love to buy them all now but 1 is probably it for me this year unless I decide to cave to company demands and get the jab , if I do that and know I'm keeping my current income level I would just order several packs from all 3 companies and return what I didn't like but I think with my resistance to bow to mandating and knowing that it may cost me my job that I better keep my unnecessary spending down a bit .

zacattack

WKR
I’ve had both the Ma deuce and currently hoodlum. The deuce is huge and has a lot of internal organization. The hoodlum while smaller is still quite large. The major differences are the opening, clam shell vs roll top and the amount of internal organization. The hoodlum does have two zippers for partial side access, but of course the deuce opens completely. The hoodlum is just a big open bag, whereas the deuce has all the built in organization. I initially thought I would like the organization but didn’t. My favorite feature on the deuce was the built in lid, it had a couple of compartments that would hold quite a bit of gear, binos, rain gear etc. Why I settled on the hoodlum was it’s simplicity and versatility, and I realized I don’t need a ton of organization. All my gear is pretty much in pullouts or external pockets, I ended up never knowing what to put in the internal pockets on the Ma deuce. I don’t think you can go wrong with either it’s really just a matter of what style bag you like. Hope this helps.

OP
B

Boblee

FNG
I’ve had both the Ma deuce and currently hoodlum. The deuce is huge and has a lot of internal organization. The hoodlum while smaller is still quite large. The major differences are the opening, clam shell vs roll top and the amount of internal organization. The hoodlum does have two zippers for partial side access, but of course the deuce opens completely. The hoodlum is just a big open bag, whereas the deuce has all the built in organization. I initially thought I would like the organization but didn’t. My favorite feature on the deuce was the built in lid, it had a couple of compartments that would hold quite a bit of gear, binos, rain gear etc. Why I settled on the hoodlum was it’s simplicity and versatility, and I realized I don’t need a ton of organization. All my gear is pretty much in pullouts or external pockets, I ended up never knowing what to put in the internal pockets on the Ma deuce. I don’t think you can go wrong with either it’s really just a matter of what style bag you like. Hope this helps.

OP
B

Boblee

FNG
It definitely helps , if the hoodlum had the horseshoe /clamshell opening I would have ordered it already . I really don't care for just a zipper or top load for access/ loading . I am currently leaning toward the ma deuce for the clamshell opening , included lid , and organization, I do however kinda think I'm gonna end up like you and deciding I don't need or utilize the organization but I would like to see for myself if I use it or not .

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I don’t use the internal organizing much at all on my ma Duece. I’m a big Belt pouch fan for quick access and organization.

Here is my Ma Duece in day pack form. Everything I need for glassing, rain gear, snacks, water, etc. mostly use the belt pouches and side pockets. Could sinch it down even smaller than this if you use the main bag and not the side pockets.

A687DCA5-A791-4E9B-8816-7AB2CC479DB9.jpeg

manitou1

WKR
Don't discount the Kuiu Pro Series. I am totally pleased with my Pro 6000 and 3200 packs. Very comfortable. Great layout.
My other packs sit in the basement now... or have been sold.

OP
B

Boblee

FNG
I don’t use the internal organizing much at all on my ma Duece. I’m a big Belt pouch fan for quick access and organization.

Here is my Ma Duece in day pack form. Everything I need for glassing, rain gear, snacks, water, etc. mostly use the belt pouches and side pockets. Could sinch it down even smaller than this if you use the main bag and not the side pockets.

View attachment 348270
Thank you, I think with the sale price and kifarus retur policy I Am just going to go ahead and order the duplex lite and ma deuce. Would you suggest the belt pouches over the claymore ? If so do you have a belt pouch size preference? Do you ever use a secondary/ final approach type bag with the duece such as the bane or escape and evade pack?

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Thank you, I think with the sale price and kifarus retur policy I Am just going to go ahead and order the duplex lite and ma deuce. Would you suggest the belt pouches over the claymore ? If so do you have a belt pouch size preference? Do you ever use a secondary/ final approach type bag with the duece such as the bane or escape and evade pack?
Yes. I use a small approach pack that straps onto the ma Duece. Don’t remember the name of it though. Sherman maybe. Depends on the hunt though.