Help planning first CO otc archery elk hunt

Rawmeat

FNG
Hi everyone.
My hunting partner and I have been hunting Whitetail and Mule deer in North Dakota for 17 years. We are not obsessed with big deer, we just like to hunt. We have decided we would like to start spending time in the fall hunting elk. We realize we need experience, but you can only learn so much reading, and we want to jump in fall 2018.

My brain is hurting a bit after figuring out all the drawing systems in multiple states, but we have a game plan figured out. We are going to apply for the general tag in Wyoming. Assuming we won't get it the first year, we want to hunt the archery otc in CO. My parents recently moved to the Northwestern area of CO so I figured this will give me a couple of opportunities to scout when I visit them.

My biggest question is probably the same as all first time CO elk hunters. Where in the large state full of elk should I go? I am not looking for specifics, but more general advice that will help us experience the type of hunt we are looking to have.

Our biggest priority is the hunting experience. We care nothing about trophy bulls. We would be happy to take a cow, and over the moon to have a chance at a legal bull. That being said, to get experience it would be nice to be in the elk and not just stumbling around looking for them. I understand luck and weather play a large part here, but that is the kind of advice I am looking for.

We would hunt the 2nd week of Sept. for 12-14 days. We WANT to work hard it. We plan on back packing in a half day or so and hunting from a base camp. I am also thinking I might bring my travel trailer down, if I can find a place to park it, in the case that
if it rains like crazy, so we can continue to hunt more comfortably. Yes, we will have chains.

We don't like hunting elbow to elbow with others. I understand that the more elk there are the more hunters there will be. So we are looking for a balance. We would lean to the side of more elk. Enough elk so we can find them, but hoping that packing in will get us away from some of the traffic. We definitely don't want to end up somewhere that has atv's cruising all over the place. Is this a realistic idea?

Now the hard part. Where to go to get the experience we want. I started looking at success rates in units near my parents location. I found that units 11, 22, and 211 actually have some of the best archery success. Yet, when I research everyone says the elk are higher this time of year and that it is hot and dry in these units this time of year. So why the success rate? Is it because the low amount of archery hunters are using the private land?

Anyway with those units being hot and dry with sparse elk, that is not what we are really looking for, but I would like to hunt somewhat close to the north western side of state.

Our priorities simplified-

1. Hunting experience and opportunity. We don't care about big bulls at all.

2. The ability to back pack in to avoid some of the traffic.

3. Plenty of public land.

I have been looking at units such as 14, 16, 42, 62, 71, 421 and 521. These all look to have plenty of forest and high ground.

Please let know if I am on the right track with these units to fit our ideal hunt or if I am way off base. If I am missing any major downsides or upsides to some of these units and you want to share that would be great, or pm if you prefer. I am not asking you for your locations or for go here and don't go there. Just anything with these units I might be missing looking at Google earth and archery success numbers.

I would appreciate any advice on my hunt planning. Maybe I am being completely unrealistic. We are really not expecting to kill anything, but want to start learning as much as we can and have the elk hunting experience.

AdamW

WKR
After spending a year planning an elk hunt last year and getting ready to start it again for 2018, I'll give you my newbie who hasn't killed an elk advice based on my first time out. Do the same stuff everyone says you should do in every thread like this: do some googling for units you might be interested in, check the elk stats on the COPW website, look at the areas on google earth, etc.

Last year I went full bore crunching numbers and weighing this unit and that and finally made a decision on what had to be the best unit for us to hunt. We were there for 8 days and never set eyes on an elk and neither did some of the few locals we bumped in to, in fact we were running in to one another bouncing from place to place so it wasn't just them telling us they weren't finding any elk, they were moving too.

The "secret" of going in deep isn't a secret any more. We have the internet. We were as likely to bump a bull a half mile from the truck as we were 6 miles in. You may be prepared to go 9 miles in, but so are the guys with horses.

Pick a unit you like based on e-scouting, boots on the ground if you get a chance, then just pick one and go have a good time. CO is covered in public lands and whether the residents like it or not, they're non-residents' lands too. In order of importance 1. be safe 2. don't be a dick 3. have fun 4. kill an elk.

:D

big44a4

WKR
After spending a year planning an elk hunt last year and getting ready to start it again for 2018, I'll give you my newbie who hasn't killed an elk advice based on my first time out. Do the same stuff everyone says you should do in every thread like this: do some googling for units you might be interested in, check the elk stats on the COPW website, look at the areas on google earth, etc.

Last year I went full bore crunching numbers and weighing this unit and that and finally made a decision on what had to be the best unit for us to hunt. We were there for 8 days and never set eyes on an elk and neither did some of the few locals we bumped in to, in fact we were running in to one another bouncing from place to place so it wasn't just them telling us they weren't finding any elk, they were moving too.

The "secret" of going in deep isn't a secret any more. We have the internet. We were as likely to bump a bull a half mile from the truck as we were 6 miles in. You may be prepared to go 9 miles in, but so are the guys with horses.

Pick a unit you like based on e-scouting, boots on the ground if you get a chance, then just pick one and go have a good time. CO is covered in public lands and whether the residents like it or not, they're non-residents' lands too. In order of importance 1. be safe 2. don't be a dick 3. have fun 4. kill an elk.

:D

2nd this. Same advice coming from same situation except I did manage to see one cow this year within 2 miles of the truck.

Biggest piece of advice is have back up plans and stay mobile. I packed in hoping i could find them where I did in the summer and the pressure/September moved them somewhere else. Only thing I wish I had is more time. Planned for 9 days but ended at 5 because unforeseen circumstances not related to the hunt.

Looks like your on the right track. Just have to get some boots on the ground scouting and make a plan. Also I’ve heard of people hunting multiple OTC units so maybe have spots picked out in neighboring units in the event you get that far down your list of back up plans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
R

Rawmeat

FNG
Thank you everyone for the advice.

The area you can visit the most often and be familiar with.

This made me rethink what exactly I am looking for in a unit. Previous numbers and things probably just don't mean that much. If I just scout some spots that are within a couple hours of my parents house and learn them I will probably be better off.

One thing I started thinking about when scouting these units is parking. If we plan to pack in for 3 or more nights at a time, where do you usually park your truck? Is it ok to go in on one of the truck driveable roads that go in deep and just leave it along the road for days at a time?

One thing I started thinking about when scouting these units is parking. If we plan to pack in for 3 or more nights at a time, where do you usually park your truck? Is it ok to go in on one of the truck driveable roads that go in deep and just leave it along the road for days at a time?

I have had no problems (knock on wood) leaving my truck at a trail head or off the side of a FS road. I try to conceal anything of value in the truck like expensive sunglasses or bow/gun cases.