How many inReach Units are needed for a group of hunters?

bsheisey

FNG
We have a group of 5 or 6 guys from PA planning an early season Colorado Elk hunt, and I was wondering how many inReach units we should consider getting for the hunt. We will likely split into two groups to hunt, so I'm assuming two units would be the minimum, but I didn't know if we should consider getting more than that as extra insurance. Thanks for the advice!

Hussar

Lil-Rokslider
One per group would be minimum and probably plenty, unless someone plans on doing a lot of communicating. Then, they should have their own device. We had 7 people in our group last year and had 3 InReach devices with us. We were hunting in 2-4 groups. We also got lucky and had cell service for most of our trip, so we didn't even really need them.

OP
B

bsheisey

FNG
Lots and lots of hunters hunt the West every year without an InReach. And have for many years.
Yeah, that's why I don't want to go overboard with it. They would mostly be for sending an evening update to the families back home for peace of mind.

Minimum zero, maximum one per hunter...it all depends on what you want to do with them. If you're just wanting daily check-ins with families back home, take one per group and leave it in camp.

We have a group of 5 or 6 guys from PA planning an early season Colorado Elk hunt, and I was wondering how many inReach units we should consider getting for the hunt. We will likely split into two groups to hunt, so I'm assuming two units would be the minimum, but I didn't know if we should consider getting more than that as extra insurance. Thanks for the advice!
Kind of a personal preference thing. Its not like there is a rule. You either don't carry one or you do, either individually or as a group.

OP
B

bsheisey

FNG
Everyone should have their own. I'd also suggest you look at Zoleo. I made the switch a couple seasons ago and well worth it.
Thanks! I hadn't even considered that there might be alternatives to the InReach. Zoleo looks like it could be a good affordable option for someone who will only be doing this hunt every couple of years.

Tman24

Lil-Rokslider
One per group if you want to communicate back and forth with groups and send a check in message to families at night.

My hunting party of 3 only used one till last year. Got a 2nd one just to communicate to each other. We didn’t really use it much though.

‘22 I was able to send a message to my buddies phones that went to town to get supplies (they were at the bar, eating pizza) that I got an elk down. I soon as they finished eating they headed up the mountain to help pack out. They even saved me a slice of pizza, it was the best tasting pizza ever.

Consider some other factors as well. Age and physical condition of hunters, where you’re actually hunting, whether or not you may need to be notified of an at home emergency.

mgray

FNG
Everyone should have their own. I'd also suggest you look at Zoleo. I made the switch a couple seasons ago and well worth it.
What do you like about the Zoleo vs inreach? I’m thinking about getting one or the other. I’m sure as soon as I buy one, some cell provider will come out with satellite messaging!

Yeah, that's why I don't want to go overboard with it. They would mostly be for sending an evening update to the families back home for peace of mind.
Not needed. I bet your cell phone will work in some of the areas you hunt.

That many guys, out of state hunt, calls back to mommy every night to check in, someones going home early. Make sure you have the Uber APP loaded.

MTN BUM

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote that each person should have their own. Think of the cost/benefit. Cost is fixed. Potential benefit is unmeasurable. If you can afford one its an easy equation.

MTN BUM

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote that each person should have their own. Think of the cost/benefit. Cost is fixed. Potential benefit is unmeasurable. If you can afford one its an easy equation.

Behlftball

Lil-Rokslider
1 per group is plenty. Honestly, in a group they aren't 'needed'. I carry one because I hunt solo but still is needed

My perspective is that it is entirely pending the factors of your hunt. Will you be sticking together running ridges?Spot and stalk from the truck (😐) Will you split up and drop into hell holes individually looking for sign? Age and fitness of the group members?

The two big questions I ask are: How "risky" is your hunt and how much do you want to stay connected?

We hunt 1:1 now because we bail off a lot in our group of three and there is 0% cell coverage where we hunt. One quick message can save you backtracking 2 miles to a rendezvous point that no longer makes sense or having to hike an hour to link with your group to tell them you have an animal down. Not withstanding the obvious safety factors. J
People did a lot of things for a long time before things were invented. Having a good communication device, survival skills, and a REAL first aid kit could be the difference between a shitty time on the mountain and your last night on the mountain.

If you generally stay close but sometimes bail off a good walkie could cover some of your need at 1/4 the cost. We love the BCA and the Rockie Talkies for range and good build.

Just my lil bitch millennial 2 cents 🤓