Help with a pack

archp625

WKR
I will start off by saying that I have never hunted out west but plan to do so next year. I am trying to get items in advanced so I don't have to buy them all at once. I think I want to Mystery Ranch pack based on what i read on here and other forums. The question is, should I get a Metcalf or something like a Mule? My guess is I'll mainly hunt from a base camp starting out so I'm not sure I need the Metcalf. I would like something that can haul meat out if I am successful so a day pack without meat hauler wont work.

May want to look at the Pintler as well - would recommend it over the mule for a little more space. Hard to beat the Metcalf though and if cinches down nicely, may open you up to other hunts as well - backpacking in.

cocky84

WKR
I think you are on the right track. Might look closely at the metcalf. It might be a little big now but it compresses fown fairly well for daypack. Also i think you can buy the pintler and mule as a bag only option but not the metcalf. Therefore if you bought metcalf and decided it was too big you could buy a smaller bag, but if you buy a mule or pintler and decide you want metcalf you cannot buy just the metcalf bag(unless you find a used one somewhere)

NebraskaStickHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have no experience with the Metcalf other than looking in the store at them but around Black Friday and later I seen it for $350 and would have bought it if an exo wasn’t in my possession already. They seem well built.

OP
archp625

archp625

WKR
Thanks for the reply Jayhawkhunter. I was needing opinions from someone that has gone and has used the products. I saw they had the bags on sale the other day. I love having that Scheels so close by. Beats Cabelas and BPS , big time. I still have an addiction to Rogers for waterfowl stuff.

OP
archp625

archp625

WKR
Thank you everyone else too. I just don't want to buy a cheap one. By cheap I mean junk. When I was younger I would always get the stuff that was on sale and cheap to save money. I would end up buying multiples until finally bought what I should have at the beginning.