Help with Accuracy issue before big hunt

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
So this-
I then set the dial to 300 yards and took a shot at the gong at 300 yards. I missed with this shot.
  • I then went through a box of 20 rounds, only hitting the gong randomly 1 more time. A couple times I set up on the 100 yard target and hit mostly dead on, but had a few flyers there too (maybe my aim, but seemed pretty far off)

And this-
Thanks for all the advice. Here is a quick follow up. I never did get super confident in my rifle before the hunt

leads to this-

but I did killed a nice bull at 350 yards.

And there are congratulations...?

amassi

WKR
Thanks for all the advice. Here is a quick follow up. I never did get super confident in my rifle before the hunt, but I did killed a nice bull at 350 yards. The bull dropped right where it stood and never moved again.

View attachment 231500

I guess the scope was close enough! The day before the hunt, I was still shooting poor groups at 100 yards. I let the barrel cool plenty that time. It could have just been user error and lack of experience on my part. It's easier to place a shot when your adrenaline is pumping and you are not thinking about recoil!
Congratulations on the nice bull

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Yes I will congratulate him on killing a beautiful bull elk, life is too short to not be happy for other hunter’s successes.

If asked my opinion, I’d also opine that he should toss the scope and buy one that dials and tracks reliably.

It has nothing to do with being happy for him about an elk. The guy admitted he couldn’t hit a gong at 300 in a box of ammo but once, does nothing to fix it, and shoots at an elk at a farther range....

“Hey guys my rifle isn’t zeroed and I can’t anything with it, but I’m gonna shoot at that elk”.

Dobermann

WKR
The day before the hunt, I was still shooting poor groups at 100 yards. I let the barrel cool plenty that time. It could have just been user error and lack of experience on my part. It's easier to place a shot when your adrenaline is pumping and you are not thinking about recoil!

I agree with Form ... really not trying to hassle Derek here at all, but these are not the ingredients for an ethical hunt.

Personally, I'd have been shouting congratulations if "all" that was posted was a photo of an improved-accuracy group.