Votes: 8 100.0%
  • New Surface Pro

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I’m just stupid and don’t know how to update properly

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

DuckDogDr

WKR
I have a new side gig at the local community college and apparently I can’t do my lessons / power points because my software is out of date. Currently using an “Early” 2013 MacBook Pro. According to everything online the update is only for “Late model MacBook Pro 13’s”

The teaching software requires the newest version of OS to function version 11; with 12 soon to be released. Apparently due to age mine will not update beyond version 10.15.7

Truth be told I loved my 2007 MacBook Pro until I killed it with a milkshake.. My 2013 has always been quirky and never operated as smooth as my old one and I just never really took to it.

#1 is there anyway to force the update
#2 I’m not technically in love with the Mac OS.
The only program i really love is MacDive for logging my scuba adventures .. . But apparently I’m locked out of its update as well..

#3 I’m really considering a surface Pro vs a new MacBook.

Help with decisions … anyone used the surface pro and liked it or am I being stupid considering and just stick with Mac .

I really did not have this in the budget and I think it’s silly to upgrade when the machine could potentially still workIMG_7192.jpeg

Superdoo

WKR
I run a surface pro for work. It’s a fine machine. Just know that you’re essentially buying a tablet and will need ancillary items to complete it. I don’t like the type cover so I run a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard. I also bought a dock so I can run dual monitors. I swapped the clunky charger for a USB-C cord and wall unit.
My company uses Microsoft so I didn’t have a choice.
I ran Apple back in college. If I had the choice (and the budget) I’d go back.

I run a surface pro for work. It’s a fine machine. Just know that you’re essentially buying a tablet and will need ancillary items to complete it. I don’t like the type cover so I run a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard. I also bought a dock so I can run dual monitors. I swapped the clunky charger for a USB-C cord and wall unit.
My company uses Microsoft so I didn’t have a choice.
I ran Apple back in college. If I had the choice (and the budget) I’d go back.

Pretty good point on the tablet. They usually require more dongles and adapters to get what you want out of it

wesfromky

WKR
Just to toss a 3rd option out - you can probably install windows 10 on your macbook. It can be tricky to find full licenses, but if you have an edu account, I think that makes it easier.

Otherwise, I run a surface for work and a mac for personal. Both are fine, just depends on what you want. The surface is super small, and as other have mentioned, you need a keyboard and mouse to make it reasonable to work off of. I run mine with dual 27" monitors and a wired keyboard a mouse because it rarely leaves my desk.

summs

Lil-Rokslider
They only thing I reccomend is not buying a surface pro. They are unrepairable for screen damage or battery damage. The two most commons laptop failures.

A screen on a surface is over $500 or 40-60% of the cost of a new device. What a waste, for an computer that cant be upgraded either. Sure they look pretty, but you seem to value reliability being.

Any laptop will work, get an i7, 16gb of ram and 1tb m.2 or pcie hard drive. Maybe 32gb of ram if you do editing intense stuff.

But it sounds like a new MAC would suit you well. Check with your school email and can get a discount too.

I also really like the old MacBooks, but be warned they're not the same anymore. They're a lot less durable and very annoying to fix on your own. Surface Books don't have the best reputation either.