Help With Deciding New .308

OverInfinite

Lil-Rokslider
My wife took over my dedicated long range 6.5CM and hunting rifle this year and I have a hunting coming in January. Decided its time to build a .308 win for my next "do it all" rifle.
At first I was pretty set on a Sig Cross, the 16" barrel, folding stock under $2k just had a lot of good to it, but I am not a huge fan of light weight .308's. I've shot a handful of sub 8lb rifles and just didn't care much for the recoil movement under non-ideal conditions.
That said, I wouldn't mind having a long barrel for the extra velocity to be able to keep 2,000 fps past 600 yards. I've never planned on shooting things past that, but I wouldn't mind having a little extra speed for follow up shots or something. I do take my rifles out to 1,000 yards as often as I get the time to. So I do have a tendency to like long range capability. I have owned a chassis 7 Rem Mag, and shot a Ruger Precision in 6.5CM and do like them, but not completely sold on them as a hunting rig.
I know that's a long intro, but I figured it would be solve a lot of questions about what I am looking for. Most of the rifles below, I do not have access to holding before purchase.
What I am looking for is any experience (good and bad) for any of the rifles below.

Bergara B-14 HMR or Wilderness HMR
Browning X-Bolt Max Long Range or Target Max
Ruger Hawkeye or Precision
Savage 110 Precision
Christensen Arms Mesa Long Range

Hnthrdr

WKR
Why no tikka roughtech? I own one, also own a ca MPP that I slapped a 16.25 in barrel on so I could put a stock on it, havent shot it yet ( also 308) , but that tikka in .308 is lights out

OP
O

OverInfinite

Lil-Rokslider
Why no tikka roughtech? I own one, also own a ca MPP that I slapped a 16.25 in barrel on so I could put a stock on it, havent shot it yet ( also 308) , but that tikka in .308 is lights out
Not a fan of their stocks. I've enjoyed shooting vertical style grips for so long. I have a couple 30-06's in the "standard" style stocks with the swept grip, and I like them as a offhand, or standing close quarters shot but not for prone.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Not a fan of their stocks. I've enjoyed shooting vertical style grips for so long. I have a couple 30-06's in the "standard" style stocks with the swept grip, and I like them as an offhand, or standing close quarters shot but not for prone.
They make a vertical style grip you can slap on the new tikka sticks for 30 bucks

I wouldn’t own any of those rifles on your list if they were handing them out. Tikka or Seekins. I’d also get them in 6.5 over 308.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Also as someone who owns .308 and 6.5 cm’s sold most of my LA rifles, still have one .300 wm. I may look at a 6.5 prc would probably check lots of your boxes, ammo can be a little more expensive/ harder to find than CM or .308

OP
O

OverInfinite

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn’t own any of those rifles on your list if they were handing them out. Tikka or Seekins. I’d also get them in 6.5 over 308.
I own 2 6.5's. No need for another. I want a .308 because I can NEVER find 6.5 bullets locally for reloading, but 30 cals are EVERYWHERE. I have decided on a 308 win. Thank you guys for the concern and the recommendation but I have caliber chosen. Can you guys give examples, experience or reasons why you cant recommend none of the rifles chosen? I know this is a Tikka fan boy sight, but I've seen my father in law have great success with his Ruger Precision, and my brother adores his Savage 10's. I have owned a couple Savage 12's with amazing accuracy. and the rest of my guns are Remington 700's or variants of them. But my sample size is small.

I own 2 6.5's. No need for another. I want a .308 because I can NEVER find 6.5 bullets locally for reloading, but 30 cals are EVERYWHERE. I have decided on a 308 win. Thank you guys for the concern and the recommendation but I have caliber chosen. Can you guys give examples, experience or reasons why you cant recommend none of the rifles chosen? I know this is a Tikka fan boy sight, but I've seen my father in law have great success with his Ruger Precision, and my brother adores his Savage 10's. I have owned a couple Savage 12's with amazing accuracy. and the rest of my guns are Remington 700's or variants of them. But my sample size is small.

Savages and Christensen are pieces of shit. RPR’s are ok rifles and I’ve owned a half dozen or better but they make a terrible hunting rifle due the the weight. 77’s are just clanky rifles and I’ve had exactly one that shot acceptable. Brownings have terrible triggers, meh stocks and zero aftermarket support.

I’m not a Tikka fanboy, I’ll be the first to point out their shortcomings unlike many here, but they are very solid for a factory rifle and I’ve never had one that didn’t shoot great even in the factory Tupperware. They also have pretty decent aftermarket support.

Buy a Seekins or Sako if you want something different. Or buy something on your list if that’s what you like, it’s not my money.

Hnthrdr

WKR
I’m with ya man, I like .308’s call me a Fudd. They do whatever I need and then some, easy to find ammo ect, wide range of bullet weights, People hate on CA here I’ve had great luck with my Mesa fft, I’ll let you know about my other one, I’ll shoot it this weekend or next. Buddy has a messa fft as well that is lights out. Used to own savage, still have one 16 lightweight that I like, and browning, never had any issues with my X bolts just didn’t love the caliber it was in so I sold it. I own a ruger American pred in .223, think that platform is probably the best value on the market these days. But ruger has been putting out solid rifles lately. Good luck with your choice. Pick what feels best to you and report back with how it is running.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Savages and Christensen are pieces of shit. RPR’s are ok rifles and I’ve owned a half dozen or better but they make a terrible hunting rifle due the the weight. 77’s are just clanky rifles and I’ve had exactly one that shot acceptable. Brownings have terrible triggers, meh stocks and zero aftermarket support.

I’m not a Tikka fanboy, I’ll be the first to point out their shortcomings unlike many here, but they are very solid for a factory rifle and I’ve never had one that didn’t shoot great even in the factory Tupperware. They also have pretty decent aftermarket support.

Buy a Seekins or Sako if you want something different. Or buy something on your list if that’s what you like, it’s not my money.
Just wondering have you ever owned a CA or Savage or just read a lot of forums about them?

Just wondering have you ever owned a CA or Savage or just read a lot of forums about them?

Yes I had a CA early on in 300RUM that grouped like a shotgun with buckshot and CA said it was within tolerances. I also bought an MPR shortly after they came out that shot ok but the chamber was .003” short of SAAMI minimum and wouldn’t chamber factory ammo. They replaced the barrel instead of just reaming that chamber and the replacement strung like crazy like typical with cheap CF barrels.

Owned plenty of salvages too and had plenty of issues including a long range hunter in 7mm RM that also grouped like a shotgun and Savage did nothing about.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Yes I had a CA early on in 300RUM that grouped like a shotgun with buckshot and CA said it was within tolerances. I also bought an MPR shortly after they came out that shot ok but the chamber was .003” short of SAAMI minimum and wouldn’t chamber factory ammo. They replaced the barrel instead of just reaming that chamber and the replacement strung like crazy like typical with cheap CF barrels.

Owned plenty of salvages too and had plenty of issues including a long range hunter in 7mm RM that also grouped like a shotgun and Savage did nothing about.
For sure, definitely bad apples out there, so far I haven’t had any issues with any of those rifles, knock on wood

Vern400

WKR
If you're not opposed to a 9 lb rifle it's hard to go wrong with one of the Tikka or Howa varmint versions. With the right powder I'm pushing 150s right at 2900 feet per second with my 308 and no significant signs of pressure. 26 inch.

OP
O

OverInfinite

Lil-Rokslider
I am wondering if maybe I should have put this in the "long range" part of the forum. I am getting a lot of light weight rifle recommendations. I prefer 9lbs +, that's why the lightest rifle I listed is 8.5lbs.
I have definitely considered a Howa barreled action, with a heavy 24" barrel and a MDT LSS XL chassis.

not saying "its not what I want to hear" its just, if I wanted to pick a Tikka, I would have just read the other 100 threads that list them as a great rifle. I just have never had one, don't know much about them and was more interested in rifles that fit my style, aesthetics and function a little better from the factory.
So not saying I don't want to hear about Tikka's, but I think they have enough support from the forum, I was more interested in hearing about EXPERIENCE with the rifles I have listed. If you have experience like redneckbmxer and hnthrdr, good or bad I want to hear about it. Not just read your opinion, but why they are good or bad.
BTW, Thank you for the responses so far! Not discrediting them at all.

Weatherby Vanguard Talon should definitely be on your radar!!

My personal .308 is a Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather MB. Can’t say enough good about that rifle either. But just picked up a 6.5 Vanguard Talon and have been super pleased with the limited experience with it. I posted an initial range report the other day if you want to check it out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No experience with the guns you mentioned. I do have a Ruger American in .308 that I slapped into a Boyd's Customs laminate stock. It shoots several Hornady and Federal factory rounds very nicely. With scope its around 9.5 pounds. The action is smooth and the trigger is decent. The magazine and magazine design are garbage, and if I keep it I plan to invest in AICS mag conversion.

Three rifles that I think match your requirements and style are below. That Sako is an amazing deal.

Tikka UPR in .308- 8.5# without scope
https://www.eurooptic.com/Tikka-T3x-UPR-308-Win-24-Bbl-1-11-Rifle-JRTXU316CA.aspx

Tikka TAC A1 in .308- 11.25# without scope
https://www.eurooptic.com/tikka-t3x...TM3LWJiODEtZDk4NTI4NWFiNDA4&o=1&p=1&i=48&d=48

Sako S20 Precision in .308- 8.6# without scope on clearance!!!
https://www.eurooptic.com/Sako-S20-Precision-308-Win-24-Bbl-1-11-Rifle-JRS20P316.aspx

kkp005

WKR
I am wondering if maybe I should have put this in the "long range" part of the forum. I am getting a lot of light weight rifle recommendations. I prefer 9lbs +, that's why the lightest rifle I listed is 8.5lbs.
I have definitely considered a Howa barreled action, with a heavy 24" barrel and a MDT LSS XL chassis.

not saying "its not what I want to hear" its just, if I wanted to pick a Tikka, I would have just read the other 100 threads that list them as a great rifle. I just have never had one, don't know much about them and was more interested in rifles that fit my style, aesthetics and function a little better from the factory.
So not saying I don't want to hear about Tikka's, but I think they have enough support from the forum, I was more interested in hearing about EXPERIENCE with the rifles I have listed. If you have experience like redneckbmxer and hnthrdr, good or bad I want to hear about it. Not just read your opinion, but why they are good or bad.
BTW, Thank you for the responses so far! Not discrediting them at all.
Well sounds like a Sako s20 then

4th_point

WKR
At first I was pretty set on a Sig Cross, the 16" barrel, folding stock under $2k just had a lot of good to it, but I am not a huge fan of light weight .308's. I've shot a handful of sub 8lb rifles and just didn't care much for the recoil movement under non-ideal conditions.
I would reconsider your first choice.

I have a 16" Cross and love it. I'm not even a big fan of .308. Bought it for my kids, but it quickly became one of my favorite rifles and I have owned literally dozens of others including 700, Tikka, Savage, 77, RAR, etc.

Mine is not lightweight either, being close to 10 pounds loaded with muffler/can, sling, etc. It tracks well, not just because of the weight, but because of the butt pad adjustment that fits my body. Just doesn't get any better when you can slide the pad up/down and rotate as needed!