Help With Deciding New .308

OP
O

OverInfinite

Lil-Rokslider
The only thing I was nervous about with the sig cross was getting enough velocity. Do you know what you are getting out of your 16" barrel with a 165gr bullet?

4th_point

WKR
Have a CA bastard gun, that is in a chassis with a 16” barrel .308 and a dead air TI, I’ll be interested to see velocity, would love to see that speed
That 2700+ is with a case full of Varget and a 150 mono, that fits in the SIG/Magpul magazine.

I'm tempted to try LVR for the heck of it. Or a binderless mag but I like the SIG follower for feeding shells through the port. I bet there are a few FPS left on the table though!

I normally wouldn't get excited about a .308 or a 150 at 2700+, but the short barrel with can and folder is just such a cool rifle for all around use. I have a Seekins, S20, and others that are collecting dust.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Yep I’m excited to try mine, didn’t go with a folder but fully adjustable stock and a little 3-9 credo it’s a sweet little package perfect hunting ranges for me, don’t reload yet so I’ll have to figure factory load that I likes, but I’d guess a 150 or 165 will do just fine

I have several christensens and really like them. All are sub moa with factory ammo. I have owned a few xbolts, all have been shooters. If you want a bergara I would get one of their premier series, I have an approach in 6mm CM that is one of my favorite rifles. My 6.5 PRC CA BA Tactical is a close second…

Yes I had a CA early on in 300RUM that grouped like a shotgun with buckshot and CA said it was within tolerances. I also bought an MPR shortly after they came out that shot ok but the chamber was .003” short of SAAMI minimum and wouldn’t chamber factory ammo. They replaced the barrel instead of just reaming that chamber and the replacement strung like crazy like typical with cheap CF barrels.

Owned plenty of salvages too and had plenty of issues including a long range hunter in 7mm RM that also grouped like a shotgun and Savage did nothing about.
I am sure it was the guns fault you couldn’t shoot a lightweight 300 rum…lol

4th_point

WKR
Yep I’m excited to try mine, didn’t go with a folder but fully adjustable stock and a little 3-9 credo it’s a sweet little package perfect hunting ranges for me, don’t reload yet so I’ll have to figure factory load that I likes, but I’d guess a 150 or 165 will do just fine
Sounds like a great setup!

I was thinking about an Accupoint 3-9x with mil-dot for holdover, on a different handy dandy .308 shooting the 120 Tac-Tx.

I am sure it was the guns fault you couldn’t shoot a lightweight 300 rum…lol

It was braked and I had lighter factory R700's at the time without brakes that I had no issue shooting... I'm not the only person who had early CA rifles that didn't shoot, it was actually a very common occurrence, just like their current rifles stringing as they warm up is a common occurrence. A quick google search will pull up plenty of results of people with the same issues, but I doubt you're going to do that because it's not the data you're interested in seeing.

Turkeytider

Lil-Rokslider
I own 2 6.5's. No need for another. I want a .308 because I can NEVER find 6.5 bullets locally for reloading, but 30 cals are EVERYWHERE. I have decided on a 308 win. Thank you guys for the concern and the recommendation but I have caliber chosen. Can you guys give examples, experience or reasons why you cant recommend none of the rifles chosen? I know this is a Tikka fan boy sight, but I've seen my father in law have great success with his Ruger Precision, and my brother adores his Savage 10's. I have owned a couple Savage 12's with amazing accuracy. and the rest of my guns are Remington 700's or variants of them. But my sample size is small.
The problem with comparisons of guns, or pretty much everything else, is that in order to get OBJECTIVE comparisons you would need input from those who have extensive experience with multiple brands in the same caliber. Few and far between. Even then it would be just one persons experience. About all one sees is promotion of one fan boy`s brand. The more obnoxious ones seem to consider it some sort of moral failing if someone chooses to use something other than their preferred brand (s) ( probably extends to cars, trucks, toilet paper, refrigerators, etc., etc. ). They generalize to ALL individual products in a given brand. Personally, I think they`re to be ignored.

I'd look into the Seekins Precision Havak Pro Hunter model. Don't own one YET but it's on my radar. Only read good things about them and it seems to check your boxes for a .308 win.

Profiler

Lil-Rokslider
Seekins ph2 for around $1500 or a Springfield waypoint CF barrel would be my choices. For grins and giggles, I picked up the waypoint redline 6.5cm with the grayboe trekker stock. Totally rigged out with optics and suppressed under 9lbs.

I have a Bergara B-14 Wilderness Ridge in 7 mm mag, both my sons have the same gun. They weigh 10.2 lbs. with scope. They are tack drivers and our long range guns. I swapped my stock out for a Grayboe Terrain (vertical grip), fits me perfect. They all have the UM TI Pro 4 port brakes.

I had a Browning XBolt Max Long Range in 300 win mag, 11 lbs. This was my go to gun, a friend was begging me to sell it so I sold it to him. It was a tack driver. Also had an XBolt Speed 30 06 that was awesome. Same guy begged me to sell it for his wife, so I did.

I replaced my Browning triggers with TImney's. The stock Bergara triggers came form the factory at 2 lbs.

I'm also looking for 308. My son has a Tikka T3 SS 308, not threaded for brake. Gun shoots great but feels like a 300 win mag!!!! I like both the Browning and Bergara's. But with the limited aftermarket stuff for Brownings I'm leaning Bergara. They are heavier but shoot awesome. I also like heavier gun.

TN2shot07

WKR
I’d order a Tikka compact (20 in barrel) and either sell that stock and upgrade or trade it for a full size. I don’t want the weight of the tactical one