Help with Electrician Apprentice tools

My Little man is 19 and he's working as an apprentice now, needs to buy himself some tools. I kinda wanted to surprise him and get him a set of something better than bottom of the barrel, but then I'm sure he'll develop preferences along the way so maybe best to hold off. I see a lot of nice looking (to my untrained eye) Klein sets at Home Depot but don't want to ignorantly throw money at something I don't know anything about. He starts a school in January for more training as well and has a list of required tools. I dunno if it'll be legible but here's the sheet his employer gave him. They provided the PPE and I happen to have a nice brand new impact to give him. Any help would be appreciated. I'm probably stuck with Home Depot or Lowe's if I'm gonna pick it up soon.

Attachments

• PXL_20230923_213647400- 1.jpg
    PXL_20230923_213647400- 1.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 248

Hoghead

WKR
I don't see the list. But if you get it to me, I can help you out some. I work for a public utility as a tool guy. I can tell you what our guys prefer. I might be able to work with one of our vendors to help with pricing, too.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

bigunit

Lil-Rokslider
Stick with Klein for hand tools. They sell an electrical apprentice kit that comes with a belt/pouch.
Screwdrivers
Side cutters
Linesman
Needlenose
Strippers
Torpedo level
Tape measure
Hawkbill knife

Should get him by to start. Depending on if he's doing commercial or residential will be a different tool list.

Hard to beat milwaukee m18 fuel series for anything cordless these days. A 1/2" drill will be essential but an impact and Sawzall are also really nice to have.

A good side pouch is also a must especially for residential. Need to hold screws staples wirenuts etc. Feel free to pm me with any questions. I've been a journeyman for 15 years and run a program to get ex offenders/parolees into the trade.

dhatter9

FNG
I’d consider getting him a meter, and then a gift card to anywhere that has a good stock of Klein or Ideal tools. I use my meter almost every day as a J-man and this basic fluke covers 90% of what I need. I’m picky with my hand tools and try to balance quality and weight…just like my hunting gear. I’d let him decide what hand tools he likes, but Klein and Ideal have served me well.

OP
ScreamingPotato
I don't see the list. But if you get it to me, I can help you out some. I work for a public utility as a tool guy. I can tell you what our guys prefer. I might be able to work with one of our vendors to help with pricing, too.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
Sorry I'd attached it and had his employer info on it so had to edit it and reattach.

Klein or Wera for hand tools.

In your situation I'd be inclined to buy him a nice hardhat or bags (tool belt). Both of those are hard to spring for quality at first. But once you burn through enough cheap ones to pay for nice ones, you do wind up spending the money. And wishing you'd done it sooner.

Lift fiberglass for hardhat and Occidental for bags are my choices.

On edit- Knipex hand tools are killer as well.

And put levels with hard hat/bags. Hard to buy good at first, but seems like most people wind up getting some Stabila after a while.

Last edited:

def90

WKR
I’ve been doing low voltage for close to 30 years. Hate to say it but stuff is going to get lost and stolen, especially if he is doing commercial work and the drywall crew is on site. When it comes to screw drivers, linesmans pliers and other hand tools I just buy whatever is on sale and looks like it should do the job.

Saw someone else mention a quality hardhat and so on, I would second that, hard hats are hard to steal. If he will be working outside a lot get a wide brim hard hat for shade, if mostly indoors guys like the newer sleeker baseball hat style lids. Throw in a good safety vest with some good pockets on it. Depending on where you live Milwaukee and other companies are now making battery powered heated vests and jackets, that might be a nice thing to have if you live somewhere where he will be working in cold weather. Boots are always a good buy as well.

Skinny

FNG
Klein hand tools only way to go Amazon usually has good deals. Power tools Milwaukee. Hacksaw for when he’s starting out after few years get the Milwaukee saw. Need to do some of the hard work out the gate

bigunit

Lil-Rokslider
It is a good trade but it's not without its downsides. It takes its toll on shoulders and necks. Especially commercial. Pretty much everything you do is overhead. My knees are also all scar tissue. Kneeled on way too many wafer screws in my career.

TaperPin

WKR
All the electricians we’ve had on our projects like 18v Milwaukee cordless tools for the most part. An 18v drill, impact driver, flashlight and sawsall are essential. I’d second getting Kline tools - don’t worry about getting insulated tools - I made that mistake and the extra insulation just makes them more awkward to use.

Two big tool bags that will fit everything including his bags, will make it much easier to keep everything organized.

def90

WKR
Haven’t touched the sawzall once since I bought a cordless band saw and multitool. Those two tools were game changes. I also have a small compact cordless screw driver, rarely use a screw driver anymore since picking this thing up. Plating out a building flies with this thing.