Help with Electrician Apprentice tools

Would you guy's please enlighten me as to a real quality utility knife that works, not to big like Irwin, not a fold up, not a thing that only takes that company's blades ? I have done construction and residential electrical for 30 years ( now retired) . In that time I've only had 1 utility knife that was worth having and that was a long time ago. Specifically the type that takes Stanley blades.
Tajima.

They make one that takes the regular Stanley blades. Small, tough, simple.

OP
ScreamingPotato
Gotta brag on little big man little, thought this was cool.

UPS was supposed to deliver the power tools from BLJ today. Kiddo came home excitedly asking for them. I looked up tracking and it was delayed by UPS til tomorrow. I sensed some urgency so asked what's the rush. Kiddo told me he's on a scaled pay site, he didn't even know until he got paid but he's getting an extra $7/hr on top of normal pay. The job boss told him this evening that the main office called him today telling him they're reassigning kiddo to a normal pay site because he didn't have the full tool set so they presumed he wasn't up to par for this site. The job boss veto'd the move and sacrificed one of the other guys instead, told the main office kiddo's working too hard so wants to keep him there. He told my son you've done more work here your first week on the job than the other guy did the last month.

While he was telling me the story the Kiddo's urgency over the tools turned into the biggest poop eating grin I've seen on him in a long time. He's always been real timid and shy but he's really feeling good about himself today no doubt. Made me smile so thought I'd share a bit with y'all.

As soon as those power tools arrive tomorrow kiddo said he's got everything required from the list they gave him. He's bought a few pieces from Lowe's on Saturdays and I got him a couple little things too, that Stanley 99e and the Milwaukee 11in1 so he's on his way. When school starts in January I think that's when he'll start picking up the meters and testers and such. All the help here is super appreciated, Rokslide crew Rocks!

Last edited:
My Little man is 19 and he's working as an apprentice now, needs to buy himself some tools. I kinda wanted to surprise him and get him a set of something better than bottom of the barrel, but then I'm sure he'll develop preferences along the way so maybe best to hold off. I see a lot of nice looking (to my untrained eye) Klein sets at Home Depot but don't want to ignorantly throw money at something I don't know anything about. He starts a school in January for more training as well and has a list of required tools. I dunno if it'll be legible but here's the sheet his employer gave him. They provided the PPE and I happen to have a nice brand new impact to give him. Any help would be appreciated. I'm probably stuck with Home Depot or Lowe's if I'm gonna pick it up soon.
I was an apprentice once Klein is pretty good for hand tools. Rigid is best for boxes and industrial stuff like pipe bending. And my power tools were all Milwaukee. I had about $1200 invested after 2 years and wasn't running around asking the journeymen if I could borrow their old leftovers.

Zerk

Lil-Rokslider
My Little man is 19 a
First thing, don't call your 19 year old son little man.

The surprise thing is probably bad idea. This isn't a birthday present. Home depot sells klein, but probably best to let him buy it. Just give him the money.

OP
ScreamingPotato
First thing, don't call your 19 year old son little man.

The surprise thing is probably bad idea. This isn't a birthday present. Home depot sells klein, but probably best to let him buy it. Just give him the money.
Right on. This is the youngest of three boys, they were Big, Middle, and Little growing up, so that's where Little man came from which stuck pretty well because he's the biggest of the three. Lol. I get one you're saying though. He's graduated from video games to a heck of a young man and he's spreading his wings, but he'll always be my little man. I'm gonna have a hell of a time as an empty neater, not sure I'll be able to cope. I tried getting the wife to pop out another one and she threatened to kick me in the nuts so all I can hope for now is grandkids.

Zerk

Lil-Rokslider
Most hand tools we use are kliens. Most battery are Milwaukee, where I work, but that is what the company buys, I know another company that does not use milwaukee. They got burnt on some the early battery tools, and never forgot it. But most employers buy supply those.

It varies a lot. Most places expect you to show up with hand tools. Some industrial places will supply since they have such big store rooms. Nothing else, he will use at home.

I would give a gift card or cash.

I suspect he already knows some of what he wants, even if has been working one day.
Angled head dykee
Linemans pliers
holding screw driver
torpedeo
few different screw drivers
strippers, he will probably develop preferences for what he likes in those.
hand crimper is not bad, if he goes into industrial they will probably have expensive ones, same with the strippers.
needle nose pliers
utility knife
hammer, especially residential
tape measure. We also use lots of fiberglass/wood folding types

Maybe a small tool bag, I wouldn't go to big, cause he may find something he likes better. These days the open open ones with a handle are popular.

Tool puches on belts vary. They were very popular, and I think are still popular in some plants, they guys uses them like a tool bag. Many people I think have gotten away from pouches cause heavy. A small pouch on a belt isn't bad either.

I think if you show up with these on day one, you are doing ok. After the first day can always run out and get more.

Get a small to medium tool poach that he can wear. If he ends up in a plant where they use they like tool buckets he can get bigger.

If you get klein this is probably a few hundred bucks, and a good start.

As for battery tools, he will probably end using them on his own at home or side jobs. If you wanted to equip a young man for his future, every man should have a sawzall and cordless drill.

Employers usually provide meters.

Last edited:

Zerk

Lil-Rokslider
I don't use this meter much, cause I like ones I can hang with a magnet and alligator clips for trouble shooting. But many electrician use this, just for testing for power. It is nice cause it ranges from ac to dc, my world is 125v dc control power

This is a nice simple meter. I don't like it for automotive because it rounds off, but he could use at home too. everyone should own a meter

Many employers provide expensive meters, but this isn't a bad one just to have.

Zerk

Lil-Rokslider
Electricians vary, and he probably does not know where he will end up in 20 years
residential, remodels different than new construction
plants, will do more trouble shooting, maybe technical stuff like PLCs
industrial, bending conduit, cable pulls, installs

Each one of these is a little different in skills and tools. I think what I mentioned though is good day one, but I also suspect if he has 10 minutes of experiences he knows this. If he has 10 minutes of experiences maybe talk to him, before you spend to much money. They all end up with preferences that a product of where they work. But the first list of hand tools, is something everyone should have. Not every one uses line man pliers, not every one uses folding rulers.

OP
ScreamingPotato
I am curious, how is Little man making out as an apprentice?
Sorry for the delay, we've been in Wyoming.
Kiddo is kicking butt it seems, never seen him work so hard with zero complaints. He's taking pride in all these tools he's getting and definitely feels a sense of accomplishment having his own tools and all. He's always been "the baby" being the youngest of three but them wings are taking flight and starting to soar. He's on a scaled pay site now and the main office tried to reassign him once a few weeks ago but his site boss veto'd and sacrificed another guy instead, told them he works way too hard to cough him up. Proud papa moment! He's bought himself a Klein rolling box that pretty much holds everything he needs, rolls it in and out every day with his lunch and a giant water jug because they ran out of water at the site a few times. He plans to pickup a tool or a box with each check but so far he's using the heck out of the stuff he's got and isn't in need of much else. He's picking up OT on Saturdays the last few weeks and trying to stay glued to the higher ups and get reps with more technical work. This week he's been running a lot of overhead conduit and running the lift.

PlumberED

WKR
Classified Approved
Sorry for the delay, we've been in Wyoming.
Kiddo is kicking butt it seems, never seen him work so hard with zero complaints. He's taking pride in all these tools he's getting and definitely feels a sense of accomplishment having his own tools and all. He's always been "the baby" being the youngest of three but them wings are taking flight and starting to soar. He's on a scaled pay site now and the main office tried to reassign him once a few weeks ago but his site boss veto'd and sacrificed another guy instead, told them he works way too hard to cough him up. Proud papa moment! He's bought himself a Klein rolling box that pretty much holds everything he needs, rolls it in and out every day with his lunch and a giant water jug because they ran out of water at the site a few times. He plans to pickup a tool or a box with each check but so far he's using the heck out of the stuff he's got and isn't in need of much else. He's picking up OT on Saturdays the last few weeks and trying to stay glued to the higher ups and get reps with more technical work. This week he's been running a lot of overhead conduit and running the lift.
Great, I am glad he is doing well.

Does his company offer any sort of tool account? For example, the company I work for lets us charge up to $500 in tools and we only have to pay them back $50 a pay period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
ScreamingPotato
Does his company offer any sort of tool account? For example, the company I work for lets us charge up to $500 in tools and we only have to pay them back $50 a pay period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I haven't heard him mention anything like that, but I believe they have options with the various tool trucks that come by the job sites for similar type thing. He's pretty good on required tools and into buying stuff that makes the jobs easier now. He's saving up money for a truck and they'll start docking his checks in January for school pay and books which isn't cheap.

Since this got bumped I'll give an update, kiddo is trucking right along. He's bought himself the big Klein rolling box a little while back, got a few more paychecks in and got the medium box to go on top of it as well and he's picked up some various tools here and there but he's trying to hold of for Christmas because a lot of family is planning to load him up as well. He's been working 5-6 days a week and getting extra hours, came down to some Texas public land last week Thanksgiving morning where we always do a Thanksgiving trip and filled up on Turkey and fixins then went out Thursday evening and killed a nice 9 point, 25 yard shot with his compound. He told me he wanted to hunt and really needed to get out so when he sent me the message he'd just shot a buck I probably looked insane all by myself in the woods with the biggest smile you'd ever seen, made me happy!

BLJ

WKR
If he buys from the truck, I highly recommend that he does NOT finance anything. Pay for it or save for it.
I’ve known quite a few guys that have gotten into a significant financial bind early in their careers based on “$40 a paycheck until it’s paid for”. IMO.

OP
ScreamingPotato
If he buys from the truck, I highly recommend that he does NOT finance anything. Pay for it or save for it.
I’ve known quite a few guys that have gotten into a significant financial bind early in their careers based on “$40 a paycheck until it’s paid for”. IMO.
Agree. With my other two boys that would be a concern, not this kid. He's the youngest and doesn't spend any money on anything. His cousin came over a couple weeks ago showing off his financed truck and tried to get him to go check out trucks at the dealer, kid wants a truck pretty bad but he's saving up to buy cash. It's actually kind of impressive, wish I had the same discipline. BTW, those Makita's you hooked him up with are still rocking and kid is Makita everything now, his Amazon wish list is littered with Makita stuff. That impact gets hit hard daily and does a great job. He bought a one-handed Makita sawzall and the whole crew borrows it, even the Milwaukee guys. We used it last weekend cutting firewood at camp next to my buddy's saw and the Makita reciprocates probably twice the speed as the other saw.

Reactions: BLJ