Help with merino socks

Looking at merino wool socks. Is all merino created equal? I see different percentages from different companies. I was looking at farm to feet that had a heavyweight with 76 percent merino. Is that the beat I’ll find?

i like my darn tough the best.
i have a pair from gore i like as well but haven’t been able to find any others

Michael54

WKR
Smart wool pill like crazy
My Darn tough seem to be bomb proof
My warmest socks are my alpaca socks but they dont seem to be wearing very well.

Agross

WKR
There seems to be a huge following of the darn toughs on here . And honestly I have a few pair, but they don't get worn as much as the others. For me they are more of a tighter weave and actually make my feet clammy and cold more than other brands. I have close to 30 pairs of merino socks of all different thicknesses and merino content, from extremely light, to extremely warm. Do a search on here, they have been discussed quite a bit. It's where I got ideas for several to try I hadn't heard of. Just try a few different ones and see what works best for you.

MillCreekMike

Lil-Rokslider
I really like the Trail socks at Costco. I'm not sure what the % of merino is. 76% seems pretty good. Is the rest a Nylon/Spandex blend?

Wrench

WKR
Thorlo mountaineering socks are the reference standard. They last until you lose them.

Ran smart wool ultralights the last few years with a liner only problem is you gotta rotate through liners too often for me. Made the switch to darn tough this past year and been really impressed so far.

Juan_ID

WKR
Hard to beat the Kirkland merino socks. That’s all I wear every day. I finally just tossed 4 or 5 pairs away after 5-6 years of use. More than got my money’s worth, last month I ordered 5-6 different brands off amazon and sent them all back and am sticking with the Kirkland. For what it’s worth my feet don’t seem too picky and I’m a cheap ass haha!

Last edited:

Winnie

Lil-Rokslider
Been a lover of Smartwool and tried a pair of Darn Tough. The Darn Tough socks shrunk so much that they are now my 12 year old son's socks. Not impressed. Back to Smartwool.

Kronos

FNG
Wool socks are the only socks I have. I don't own any synthetic or cotton socks. Started with smartwool, but within 2 years they were all threadbare or had holes in them. Switched to Darn Tough, only have had them one year, but they are holding up better than the smartwools after a year of use.

OP
Clzandstra79
Great replies everyone. Thanks! I’ve been using cotton socks for year and sticking toe warmers in my boots but they don’t work very well!

Truaxdw

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a pair of darn tough, smart wool PhD and gore and put them through their paces I started with darn tough but for my feet they seemed to hold moisture against them instead of wicking it away I don’t have that problem with the smart wool PhD. Just a thought, you can get them pretty cheap if you don’t mind buying colors on clearance

Tyler127

WKR
I've tried Darn Tough, Smart Wool, Kuiu, First Lite & Cabelas merino socks. I have always went back to the Darn Tough.