Socks- why the merino?

Hey gang.

I have a really goofy question

Why does everybody recommend merino socks for hunting in hot weather?

I understand the stink reduction. I understand the wide temp range merino works in.... however

I sweat like a politician in church and my feet are no exception. When I wear merino, they are comfortable but damp all day while hiking. And they don't seem to dry overnight for me. I end up bringing at least 1 extra pair in my pack.

Does anybody run synthetic or is there a better fiber for heavy sweaters? I like the Merino, but I feel damp and spongey in them.

nobody

WKR
Personally, my feet sweat no matter what. They run hot enough that I don’t even wear insulated boots in late season.

That said, the reason I’ve moved to 100% merino socks is because my feet sweat no matter what, but merino stinks less over the long run and dries faster than cotton.

When compared with synthetic materials, there are for sure some synthetics that dry quickly, but the “anti-stink” treatment wears off eventually. A good, durable wool sock has an extremely long service life.

Basically, wool and synthetic both make my feet sweat, they both dry fast, but wool stinks WAY less after a full season of use/wash cycles. All things equal, give me a good quality (NOT cheap) merino sock 100000% of the time.

Just a suggestion, but have you tried different weights of merino socks? My favorites for early season are from farm to feet, the Damascus socks. Very thin and very breathable. For mid season, I’m a fan of darn tough 2012’s and some from smart wool. Both full cushion and mid weight, they provide a little extra cushion and warmth for cold mornings. Late season I have some ultra heavy smart wool socks. Having options allows me to adjust for conditions more appropriately. If you haven’t tried to match sock weight to conditions, I can see where you would be miserable, as all merino wool socks ARE NOT created equal.

maya

FNG
Lightweight wool w/ 5-10% nylon/spandex is as good as it gets. If that's not adequate, go Tom Brown style.

fwafwow

WKR
Personally, my feet sweat no matter what. They run hot enough that I don’t even wear insulated boots in late season.

That said, the reason I’ve moved to 100% merino socks is because my feet sweat no matter what, but merino stinks less over the long run and dries faster than cotton.

When compared with synthetic materials, there are for sure some synthetics that dry quickly, but the “anti-stink” treatment wears off eventually. A good, durable wool sock has an extremely long service life.

Basically, wool and synthetic both make my feet sweat, they both dry fast, but wool stinks WAY less after a full season of use/wash cycles. All things equal, give me a good quality (NOT cheap) merino sock 100000% of the time.

Just a suggestion, but have you tried different weights of merino socks? My favorites for early season are from farm to feet, the Damascus socks. Very thin and very breathable. For mid season, I’m a fan of darn tough 2012’s and some from smart wool. Both full cushion and mid weight, they provide a little extra cushion and warmth for cold mornings. Late season I have some ultra heavy smart wool socks. Having options allows me to adjust for conditions more appropriately. If you haven’t tried to match sock weight to conditions, I can see where you would be miserable, as all merino wool socks ARE NOT created equal.
Thanks for the Farm to Feet tip. 100% USA made. Just purchased some.

LoggerDan

WKR
Plain GI issue wool socks are fine by me. But if somdone wants to spend 20 bucks for a pair or two so they can say merino, have at it. Who sits around and smells their socks anyways?. I’m barefoot in camp anyway.

frbg2019

FNG
Similar to what people are saying above, quality (and appropriate weight) wool will generally outperform synthetic.

For what it’s worth, wool also doesn’t soak up water and hold it like cotton or synthetic. I’ve accidentally flooded my boots and with a good dump and a ring out, it was uncomfortable, but manageable.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I like the Merino, but I feel damp and spongey in them.
Are you wearing a poly liner sock under them? As has been said, merino draws the moisture. With a liner sock my feet feel dry and comfortable all day even though my merino socks will be wet. I lay them out to dry overnight and they're good by morning, and then do it all over again.

OP
E

Farm To Feet discuss is my favorite, I think because it has a very high percentage of nylon to merino and seems to dry much faster for me than Darn tough, and smart wool. I've tried the lightest of each brand usually the ones designed for running and In my experience or at least for my feet Smartwool and darn tough leave my feet feeling damp even in the lightest weights.

I will say that I absolutely love my darn tough for lower activity cool weather hunts like a cold sit in October. They do seem to be warmer when it matters especially in the heavier weights.

OP
E
Merino is good for wicking moisture away from skin. Wet skin is prone to blisters and hotspots. I imagine most people use merino more for the moisture wicking property than to reduce stink.
But wouldn't polyester be a better choice for high activity then? Just thinking outloud but if merinon is hydrophilic and polyester is hydrophobic a hydrophobic sock should move moisture off your body and into the liner of the boot. Maybe I'm wrong though?

OP
E
What merino socks are you wearing? How thick? If they aren’t drying overnight they are either way too heavy merino or crap quality “merino”.
I've tried smart wool, darn tough and farm to feet. I've tried light, medium and heavy weigh weights and tried the running versions offered by each. I kid you not I have a couple hundred dollars In merino socks. The only one that doesn't leave my feet feeling wet are the farm to feet Damascus. I wear the heavy weight darn toughs deer hunting for October and November's sits and love them for that but the lighter darn tough seem to hold moisture