Help with trail cam pic. Is he a freak or is it a freak photo.

Slugz

WKR
Maybe both. Im sure you have done the same and zoomed in real close but it seems like there is something there. Now it may just be velvet filling in weird also.

OP
B

bobinmi

WKR
Maybe both. Im sure you have done the same and zoomed in real close but it seems like there is something there. Now it may just be velvet filling in weird also.
I've played with it a little and made it brighter and darker. I'm confused. I lean towards it being an optical illusion because my dad has hunted this farm for almost 50yrs and no one has ever seen genetics like that, but to be honest we aren't advertising the picture locally either.

fatlander

WKR
I've played with it a little and made it brighter and darker. I'm confused. I lean towards it being an optical illusion because my dad has hunted this farm for almost 50yrs and no one has ever seen genetics like that, but to be honest we aren't advertising the picture locally either.

That’s a pretty loaded assumption you’re making that doesn’t account for natural dispersion of deer with different genetics from surrounding areas, phenotypical “abnormality” that are rarely seen based on the genetic makeup required to express it, and/or injury. There’s a reason non-typicals are called NON-TYPICAL.

To me, I see two main beams transposed on one another because of the angle with the right side having a much longer g2 than the left. Looks like a fairly typical, heavy beamed 8 pointer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ncossey

FNG
That deer is definitely older, pretty flat nose and his back is drooping, and appears to have a nice rack. I think all the mass you are seeing is both antlers doubled up, but it’s still pretty early to tell. Keep the camera up, he will be around. Hopefully it’s not just his summer range.

DiabeticKripple

Lil-Rokslider
It’s probably just the camera angle.

i had a deer on my cams with a palmated antler. I ended up shooting him on a different lease than my cameras, but walking up to him I instantly recognized him.

when I got the skull cleaned up, you could see that he must’ve been hit by a car at some point as his skull had been fractured and healed, and the opposite side grew funny because of the injury.
E9359636-ADF8-43DC-80D6-CC65C960D70C.jpeg5E3E7AE3-AB4E-4332-9E8D-3EBB4E8BC10B.jpeg

Tank9

FNG
Agreed, between the angle and velvet I think it is making his rack look funkier than it is. Hopefully you can get some more pics of him though

OP
B

bobinmi

WKR
I put another camera up in the area that I think he came from. I'm hoping that I get some better photos.

npro04

Lil-Rokslider
It’s probably a little bit of all. Both beams are over each other and you have a little bit of webbing but remember this early that velvet will be a little poofy too so it very well could the fine combination of freak and optical illusion. Only one way to find out for sure I suppose.