Help with Yellowstone and Glacier vacation.

mmw194287

WKR
I have a guys backpacking/fishing trip to glacier this summer. Information is hard to come by and the info I can get, seems to downplay the fishing in and around Glacier NP. Is there a good resource I’m overlooking? I have found a few web write ups. We are camping and fishing along the Belly River and then Elizabeth lake.
A number of years ago I hiked through this area and came upon a group of Boy Scouts. All they could talk about was how good the fishing at the foot of Elizabeth Lake was...they'd been trying to find something the fish wouldn't bite and had been unsuccessful. It's always stuck with me and made me want to get back there.

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Top notch advice above, I’d add that after we did the park for a few days, we stayed in NW Montana for another 3 days at an air bnb cabin that had a hot tub-kids loved it. (So much we bought a place there....)
From there we hit local lakes and streams to fish, hike and explore, along with grilling on the deck etc.
It was nice to have some “quiet” time without all the hustle bustle of the park and other people. We found Glacier our favorite over the others, and the “get up early” is for real!
Enjoy!

Razz

FNG
Nestled between the Tetons & the Big Holes
Yellowstone and GTNP are in our backyard. We live on the Idaho side in Teton County Idaho. As others have noted, weather in June can be variable, last year we had a coating of fresh snow in our yard on June 27th. But the sun came out and melted it off. Many hiking trails will still have snow, others will be open. Expect a bit of mud in places. River and stream fishing will not be its best as it is runoff season. The Henry’s Fork in Idaho has fishable stretches that time of year, mainly drift boat fishing. Jackson is very touristy and a tad costly, but a must see. Yes, bear watching near Pacific Creek and 399 with her cubs has become very popular. Expect crowds! There is a tour boat ride on Jenny Lake that is popular. There are a couple of horse riding places on both the Wyoming and the Idaho side of things that are great.From half day to multi day trips depending on your likes and ability. I am partial to things on our side of the Tetons, plus did a bit of wrangling for an outfit over here. Happy to share a bunch of names for you to check out. In Driggs there is a place that rents inflatable kayaks, canoes and rafts for day floats on the Teton River. It is a “lazy river” type float, no rapids at all where they are. They offer shuttle service, trips range from a couple hours to all day. Moose, deer, otters, eagles are common sightings and the views are phenomenal. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you want more info, happy to answer questions. The area was quite busy last summer and expectations are the same for this year.

406life

Lil-Rokslider
Plenty of good info above. My wife and I alreante YNP and GNP ecery summer and spend a couple weeks. Last year YNP was the most crowded I've ever seen. Shoot me a PM if you need more ideas while you're there. And learn to flyfish if you haven't already.

Brillo

FNG
+1 on Beartooth pass. Worth the trip by itself.
Lots of traffic in the park. Plan on slow.
Read the novel Free Fire, by CJ Box before you go. Fun read and interesting perspective on the park.

OP
M

mark1j

FNG
Thanks for all of the info. Is there any place where you can rent fly fishing gear. Or would it be cheaper to buy a throwaway at a big box store. Since we are flying I am limited on gear. How would a person with lower back issues do on a horse ride? It sounds fun and the kids would enjoy it but I dont want my back to be locked up on vacation. Thanks again for the responses.

Fordguy

WKR
Thanks for all of the info. Is there any place where you can rent fly fishing gear. Or would it be cheaper to buy a throwaway at a big box store. Since we are flying I am limited on gear. How would a person with lower back issues do on a horse ride? It sounds fun and the kids would enjoy it but I dont want my back to be locked up on vacation. Thanks again for the responses.
Horse back riding- depends on the back issues, the individual, the horse, the length of the ride etc. I have scoliosis and some other issues, but I've ridden my entire life, including endurance riding, Competitive Mounted Orienteering, penning, and more. My advice is make it a short ride and take it easy. You can adjust your suspension with your feet. Keep the balls of your feet in the stirrups and use your calves like shock absorbers (usually when the horse trots) I've seen a lot of people just bounce up and down and their back takes the shock with every stride. I've seen inexpensive 3 piece packable fly rods, but im not sure where you could find one near Glacier.

Razz

FNG
Nestled between the Tetons & the Big Holes
Call Snake River Angler in Jackson, Worldcast Outfitters in Victor Id, or Three Rivers Ranch in Driggs Id (TRR has 3 locations) .. I put some folks on the Teton last summer that rented gear from TRR, pretty sure the other places have rental, but best to check in advance. All three companies are reputable, will give you insight on what flys are on at the time you come out. Worldcast has a dry erase board posted outside of the shop. They list various waters, flow rates and what flys are working. All 3 shops sell licenses too. Regulations like barbless hooks, what you can and can not keep and what licenses are needed vary between Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Park; and between Wyoming and Idaho.

June is a perfect time for a float trip on the Yellowstone north of Gardiner. It's been many years, but I went with a guy based at the Chico Hot Springs resort, which is between Livingston & Gardiner. There was also an excellent restaurant there. It could be a bit much for the youngsters,

Most of my many trips to YNP were in the fall to get photos during the elk rut, so I can't suggest much for a spring visit other than to definitely bring warm jackets.. But as others have mentioned, take in the Cody Museum and visit the National Bison Range if you get near there.

Last edited:

brerud2

FNG
Fly fishing on a river in Yellowstone with elk and buffalo in the background makes for some pretty memorable times. I fished the firehole in early June one year and had a blast while keeping a good distance from the herd of buffalo coming to the river and also the bull elk wandering around. There are better waters to fish but I am not sure if the experience of the place is as surreal.
Coming from SLC - Craters of the Moon might not be too far out of the way and is a really neat 3-4 hour stop.
Bar J Chuckwagon was definitely worth an evening - tickets might be impossible now - they just announced that this is their last season.
Get out on the roads as early as possible - wildlife viewing decreases dramatically an hour after sunrise.
Teton is hiking and driving around - antelope flats road, Inspiration Point hike are 2 of the most popular things but are both worth doing.

Glacier - Upper Grinnell Glacier (Many Glacier area)- hike up to it and walk around on the glacier if the trail is open - some years it doesn't open until late July. Get a reservation for the going to the sun road and get up there early! Hidden Lake hike is a must but will be ovecrowded by 9AM. Highline trail is pretty cool and isn't a tough hike. Avalanche Lake trail is worth doing but will be packed until you get off the Trail of the Cedars.

HntnFsh

FNG
Also suggest Beartooth pass and Dead Indian pass. Amazing! Got some funny looks hauling my travel trailer over them. Suggested overall length was 40 or 45 feet but it didn't bother me. Hauled logs off Mt. St. Helens after she blew so steep narrow winding roads are nothing.Cut into the places I would liked to have been able to pull over and take a closer look though.

Loved Going to the Sun rd. In glacier. Then hiked up from Logan pass parking lot. Got to watch Bighorns butting heads on a snow patch. May be snowed in in June though.
Cody Museum was incredible. Could easily spend 2 or 3 days there.

Favorite part of Yellowstone is Grand canyon of Yellowstone. More beautiful amazement!

Rutjunkie

FNG
Oh man this is great info!! I too plan to do a yellowstone trip with the wife and kiddo, in 2022. We plan to go for 2 weeks and throw a antelope hunt in at the tail end of the trip.

Hit up Lamar Valley in the evening, best animal action. Our favorite lodge in glacier is ‘Many Glacier.’ Plan on making it up into Waterton lakes, the Canadians are as nice as they say. Make sure you stop in Columbia Falls and get some huckleberry ice cream and pie!

Oh man this is great info!! I too plan to do a yellowstone trip with the wife and kiddo, in 2022. We plan to go for 2 weeks and throw a antelope hunt in at the tail end of the trip.
THAT time of year is the best to visit YNP because the bulls have antlers. It sounds as if you'll be there before, but mid-Sept. to mid-Oct. was always my favorite time because the rut was normally in full swing.

xajoles

FNG
1. This June we (wife and kids: 8 and 11) are flying into SLC and driving to Yellowstone. Staying in the park 4 nights and 2 nights in Cody. Then on to Tetons for 3 nights. Other than the popular places is there anything not to miss along the way. Maybe some lesser known places or activities to get away from the crowds. Staying at Old Faithful, Mammoth Hot Springs, and Canyon Village. Planning on the rodeo and Cody museum while in Cody. Need some help on Teton activities.

2. Next year we are flying into Bozeman or Spokane and driving to Glacier. Probably June or early summer. Same as above. Any recommendations for places to see or things to do. I like to plan a year in advance.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Hi all,

We are planning a trip from 6/29-to 7/7. Flying in/out of Bozeman. What is doable to see these days? We would like to see Glacier and/or Yellowstone. I'm thinking it might have to be a Yellowstone/Grand Tetons trip because of all the uncertainty with glaciers. Could we see Yellowstone and glaciers in 7 full days? Or stick to one or the other?

Because of the flying days, we have 7 full days to explore. And yes, I know this is last minute to book a trip :)

Traveling with a 16, 14, and 11-year-old. We enjoy some hikes but nothing over 8 miles. Never been to Yellowstone or glaciers.

xajoles

FNG
Hi all,

We are planning a trip from 6/29-to 7/7. Flying in/out of Bozeman. What is doable to see these days? We would like to see Glacier and/or Yellowstone. I'm thinking it might have to be a Yellowstone/Grand Tetons trip because of all the uncertainty with glaciers. Could we see Yellowstone and glaciers in 7 full days? Or stick to one or the other?

Because of the flying days, we have 7 full days to explore. And yes, I know this is last minute to book a trip :)

Traveling with a 16, 14, and 11-year-old. We enjoy some hikes but nothing over 8 miles. Never been to Yellowstone or glaciers Things to do in Paris.
looking for the quick response

Hunt41

Lil-Rokslider
I would go the Yellowstone and Tetons route.
Do the touristy stuff very early in the morning to avoid the crowds.
You easily will fill up your week.
Canyon Lodge in Yellowstone usually has rooms available at this time.
After a couple days of acclimating to the elevation. Spend some time in the Beartooth Mountains outside the northeast entrance of the park. It’s well worth it.

Quick response: You are planning on visiting at the busiest time of tourist season. Hotels and camp grounds reserve 6 months to a year in advance. Start looking for lodging and don’t be surprised if no or limited availability. Glacier is now taking reservations just for entry to drive in. It is best to plan at least a year in advance and go into the park when it’s not peak tourist season.

jimh406

WKR
First, there are books available for kid activities. Consider buying that. There is little coverage inside Yellowstone, so count on that and if you want to download maps or details for the Yellowstone and Teton apps, download before you get to Yellowstone. Tetons have a bit better coverage.

Go out early and late to see more wildlife, but quickly pivot to popular areas early if you want to park. If you are doing restaurant meals, do that later than normal and bring at least snacks and things to drink.

Talk to people that are setup with spotting scopes. They are likely watching something. Bring lunches for your daytime activities. Bring whatever glass you have either binoculars or spotting scopes.

Old Faithful has a pretty clear schedule, you can walk the trails around it and still see the eruption. That might be good to keep the kids busy. They also sell ice cream there. The visitor center at Old Faithful and Gardner at Yellowstone are two good places to visit for adult and kid activities. Also, visit Moose Junction at the Tetons.

If you are flying, consider renting bear spray. Otherwise, buy it before you go. It's for sale at REI and Amazon for decent prices.

Yellowstone and the Tetons are not dog friendly. They aren't allowed even leashed on most trails. Do try to do some Ranger led walks especially in the Tetons.

Bring layers, the weather is unpredictable, and bring sunscreen.

There is gas in the park, but it's quite a distance between stations or anything remotely considered services. Do think about that before you run out.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warlord