Helpful hints for archery hunting

Terrapin

WKR
I thought I would start a thread with little tricks to make for a better back country archery hunt. I'll lead off:

Replace a couple of zipper pulls on your pack with 4.25" pieces of release rope. It works well for a quiet zipper pull and you always have a backup ready to tie on if yours wears out.

Run a bic lighter very quickly over Velcro on pockets that you use a lot. Much quieter.

amp713

WKR
Mark all parts of your bow so you can see if they are bumped or off quickly: rest, sight, peep....

a3dhunter

WKR
Carry a set of backup strings, at least keep them in the truck.

Make sure your nock is completely on the string when drawing on a big bull at 4 yards, otherwise you will need those spare strings and a portable bow press that you should have back at the truck. If, for some reason you left them at home it is a long drive home and lost weekend of hunting to get things fixed!

Be careful strapping your bow to your pack, don't let the strings rub on anything while hiking.

charvey9

WKR
String wax is a really good lube and mild thread locker. I apply it to just about all threads and contact points on my bow. Works really well on the threads of field points and broadheads to keep them from backing out while shooting.

Don't wear gloves so thick that when you get to the peak of your draw you send your arrow five feet down range leaving your release and glove dangling from the d-loop!

Tilzbow

WKR
When beginning a stalk take a picture with your digital camera or phone so you can find the spot the buck, ram or bull is bedded when you're disoriented later in the stalk. I used to draw a map but the pic is a much better option now that I'm older (or the tech is better!).

OP
T

Terrapin

WKR
Good point tilzbow, also take a picture right after the shot so when get up by the little alder in a sea of alders where you last saw your animal run, you will be sure you are starting in the right spot.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Make sure your broad head didn't loosen before you draw. Seems simple and self explanatory but took me twice to learn that one, the second time I would've kicked myself in the ass if I could've reached.

For you takedown recurve types, always bring an extra string and place a piece of bicycle inner tube, cut flat to fit, between your riser and limbs. It'll quiet your bow down and reduce hand shock.