Helping My Uncle, Need Some Direction

TWP

FNG
Hey guys,

My uncle is a 20+ year air force veteran who got me into bowhunting nearly 20 years ago. We got to talking about hunting out west, he used to live in Alaska, but hasn't hunted out west in the Lower 48. He really wants to go on a warm weather hunt for mule deer with some chance at seeing deer. I really want to take him on a high country hunt, I've only hunted AZ and NM for mulies, so it got me looking at Utah. I was looking at the draw odds and it looks like there is a pretty good chance for us to draw a general tag with zero points as a NR. Am I on the right page here??? I have several points in Colorado but he doesn't and I really want to hunt with him this coming year. I already called the DWR in SLC and the gal told me to chill out and wait until the new regs come out in January. ha ha ha ha ha I just want my uncle, he's 43 and I'm 33, to have a fun experience. I feel like I owe it to him for getting me into archery.

A general tag should be a easy draw for you two. Been hunting Utah as a non resident for 20+ years, hunt the muzzleloader season and have never had an issue drawing.... some of the southern units could be a challenge due to popularity, but you should be able to draw a tag and have a great hunt. Have you picked an area/unit out? The Proclamation should be out about the end of this month/early Jan. at the latest and available to download or you can call again and have them snail mail you one.

Not real sure on units, I was looking at 17B/C or 17A. Think I am going to be helping out at the Train to Hunt Nationals the weekend before season starts in SLC. It would be an awesome trip for sure.

What type of hunt are you guys looking for.
Utah about has it all to offer, from way over crowded areas with thousands of hunters and campers cruising the dirt roads in their rangers to backcountry areas where you can get away from people.
It also has units with 7ish bucks per 100 does that are mostly 1.5 to 2.5 year old bucks, to units that have 40 plus bucks per 100 and shooting a sub 200 inch deer is viewed as a failure.
You should have fun in the wasatch area and see some deer with a bit of work though.

How much scouting time will you have? 17B/C or A could be very challenging if you don't have enough time to scout thoroughly...

I usually hunt wilderness areas only. I like few people and getting high if possible, I'm a CrossFit guy and my uncle is in pretty good shape also. I would just like multiple deer to be around, I am a traditional archer also so I need all the help I can get. Should there be areas we should focus? I have also looked at 14 as well, but I read that the population is well below objective, but pretty good buck to doe ratio. I'm looking to find an area to be able to draw and hunt consistently. I will take at least one scouting trip this summer.

Well the Uinta's should meet your requirments, and there are nice bucks not alot but they are there....and great fishing on a side note. Contact Fish and Game and talk with both the Wildlife Biologist and the Warden that covers the area, they should give you a better idea of how the herd is doing...now and after el-nino, if it shows ups. Also see if you can meet with them when you do you scouting trip. You can keep track of the weather via MesoWest and check for wildfires on InciWeb. Will check with some hunting buddies that have hunted the area to see what/where they would recommend.

Thank you CA Karen, I will start the process tonight. I will have to try to find areas that I can at least get away from motorized vehicles.

TTT Please. Been hammering Google Earth, should be fun! Nothing like new country.

17B/17C is a good option for you.
There will be lots of folks running around. Tons of roads that make it difficult to get too far from people.
During archery season you have to remember that you will have all the archery general season cow and spike elk hunters, plus the archery deer hunters, plus the limited entry archery hunters in the area at the same time.
So, expect to see lots of camps. There is some private ground in there, but most of it is public.
Its not a bad place to start. Consider that you have better draw odds as a non resident than residents do. With the archery tag anyways.
Its near a 100% success rate for the archery non resident draw. Wish it was that good for residents!
The unit gets grazed heavily by sheep and cattle outfits. You may find that your early scouting gets messed with by ranchers moving large numbers of domestics into areas. Its not such a big deal if you have options.

Its a lot of pine and aspen terrain, high elevation, but its also a big summer get away destination, so there is lots of use.

I can give you some ideas if you draw. I have been on limited entry elk hunts the last two years in a row on the unit, and we have been lucky enough to draw deer tags on the unit the last two years in a row. We probably won't get lucky enough to draw deer again this year.
I expect to be on another limited entry elk hunt there next year. I have two folks who have enough points that it looks good.

Cindy,

Thank you so much for the response. I will absolutely let you know when/if I draw. Looks like I will be putting in for 17B/C as first choice.

Back