Henry x 45/70

Hello looking for optics recommendations for Henry x in 45-70.

Ive read a bunch of threads. But wanted some current opinions.

Ive looked through some of the low power vx freedoms and mark3hd. I liked how lightweight they were.

But then I took a look through vortex viper pst 1x6 and really liked that optic but it was heavy.

Ive got a few of the swampfox longrange optics on a few of my "tactical" bolt guns and they are fine but I've never looked through one of their lpvos and those rifles are safe queens so I havent taken the durability for a test drive really.

That being said the Henry is my dedicated hunting rifle as the spots I hunt out here in CA the shots are maybe 250m especially when I'm on the central coast.

So I'm looking for something that can handle day after day and season after season.

Budget is 1300.

Mods if this is in the wrong spot please move it.

Thanks all for the future input. Russ.

OP, I'll share something that may ruffle some feathers, but it's borne of personal experience with some really excellent glass: a 1-? power LPVO is an absolute waste if you're not doing both CQB and extended ranges with the same rifle in the same timeframe, and almost always comes with worse glass performance as the magnification range increases.

Here's why:

I've found that in anything beyond driveway distances, 1x is useless. I keep my LPVOs that go down that low actually right around 2.3-2.5 for everything, right until I'm on an animal - then they're cranked all the way up. But for fast shooting beyond about 30 yards, the 2.3ish range just works much better for me, and even then I find I just don't lose anything at 10 yards even, by keeping it on 2.3ish. Seems just as fast, with no loss of target acquisition due to less field of view with the higher setting.

Regarding optical performance, the higher you go in magnification range the more difficult it is to create bright, crisp views edge-to-edge in that glass (non-technical terms), or a large eyebox that's easy to get into when you mount the gun from different positions. A 1-6 LPVO will often appear to have "better glass" than a 1-8 or 1-10, until you get into the highest quality LPVOs. That's a big part of why 1-8 and 1-10 LPVOs are so much more expensive - it takes a lot more engineering, precision, and more components inside the scope to get the experience at the quality lower mag-range scopes offer. The narrower the magnification range, generally speaking, the better the view and the lighter weight the scope.

So consider this...what would be more useful to you - a 1-10x LPVO, or a 2-16 MPVO? Especially knowing that the narrower mag range of the 2-16 actually gets you a much higher top-end magnification, while also giving you a better optical experience?

Given your application, all of this above is why I'd recommend considering something other than an LPVO. When you add in the requirement for durability you've mentioned, it gets harder.

Maven, however, has a 2.5-15 that's gotten great reviews on here, under your budget, that seems to be pretty rugged.

Another unlikely recommendation that might still be worth considering are the Primary Arms prism optics, especially the 3x. They're extremely rugged, very small, and are surprisingly useful. At around $250, IIRC. Definitely not a traditional recommend for a deer rifle, but for a 45-70 used in coastal forests, it might be worth checking out.

OP
russnutt209
OP, I'll share something that may ruffle some feathers, but it's borne of personal experience with some really excellent glass: a 1-? power LPVO is an absolute waste if you're not doing both CQB and extended ranges with the same rifle in the same timeframe, and almost always comes with worse glass performance as the magnification range increases.

Here's why:

I've found that in anything beyond driveway distances, 1x is useless. I keep my LPVOs that go down that low actually right around 2.3-2.5 for everything, right until I'm on an animal - then they're cranked all the way up. But for fast shooting beyond about 30 yards, the 2.3ish range just works much better for me, and even then I find I just don't lose anything at 10 yards even, by keeping it on 2.3ish. Seems just as fast, with no loss of target acquisition due to less field of view with the higher setting.

Regarding optical performance, the higher you go in magnification range the more difficult it is to create bright, crisp views edge-to-edge in that glass (non-technical terms), or a large eyebox that's easy to get into when you mount the gun from different positions. A 1-6 LPVO will often appear to have "better glass" than a 1-8 or 1-10, until you get into the highest quality LPVOs. That's a big part of why 1-8 and 1-10 LPVOs are so much more expensive - it takes a lot more engineering, precision, and more components inside the scope to get the experience at the quality lower mag-range scopes offer. The narrower the magnification range, generally speaking, the better the view and the lighter weight the scope.

So consider this...what would be more useful to you - a 1-10x LPVO, or a 2-16 MPVO? Especially knowing that the narrower mag range of the 2-16 actually gets you a much higher top-end magnification, while also giving you a better optical experience?

Given your application, all of this above is why I'd recommend considering something other than an LPVO. When you add in the requirement for durability you've mentioned, it gets harder.

Maven, however, has a 2.5-15 that's gotten great reviews on here, under your budget, that seems to be pretty rugged.

Another unlikely recommendation that might still be worth considering are the Primary Arms prism optics, especially the 3x. They're extremely rugged, very small, and are surprisingly useful. At around $250, IIRC. Definitely not a traditional recommend for a deer rifle, but for a 45-70 used in coastal forests, it might be worth checking out.
Right on. My shooting eye is pretty terrible now days. I had lasik done back in 08 so I could get in law enforcement and all it's done is get incredibly worse.. I've seen folks putting reddots or prisms on their rifles.

Definitely not opposed to it. Thanks for the informative response.

You're welcome, hope the info is helpful. I have a bit of an astigmatism myself, and don't care for most red-dots because of that. That's actually how I ended up with a couple of the Primary Arms 1x prisms. Very happy with them, and have been considering getting a 3x prism lately because of the good experiences.

06 SB

FNG
It is waaay under your budget but look at a Bushnell Elite 4500 2.5-10. It has over 4” of eye relief and is a bright scope. It rivals my Swarovskis! My son has one on his Henry 45/70 and he is very happy with it. I am considering one for my fathers 30-06 that was passed down to me.

OP
russnutt209
It is waaay under your budget but look at a Bushnell Elite 4500 2.5-10. It has over 4” of eye relief and is a bright scope. It rivals my Swarovskis! My son has one on his Henry 45/70 and he is very happy with it. I am considering one for my fathers 30-06 that was passed down to me.
Right on. I'll see if i can look through one.

KenLee

WKR
IMO, a little scope is a waste of money and effort. Get something you can actually see game in before and after sunset.
2-10x42ish or even 3-9x40 with good glass.
The extra ounces aren't a big deal and seeing the animal and reticle is.

OP
russnutt209
IMO, a little scope is a waste of money and effort. Get something you can actually see game in before and after sunset.
2-10x42ish or even 3-9x40 with good glass.
The extra ounces aren't a big deal and seeing the animal and reticle is.
So I am gonna take the maven Rs.2 for a test drive. After exchanging some emails I've decided to try them out. Thanks to @RockAndSage for putting me on to them.

I whacked two bucks and one yote with a 1-4x SWFA on top of a single shot 45-70 a few months ago. A solid scope for that sorta hunting. Some guys say that model isn’t as reliable as their other offerings. I had one take a dump on my sons crossbow but it’s been fun on the rifle so far. Also have a Trijicon model that is similar, can’t recall the model. Good luck.