Here we go again. MT Grizz re-introduction

tdhanses

WKR
Both black bears and grizzly bears are VERY hard on ungulate populations. The number one killer of fawns is bears. Adult predation goes to the wolves, but bears are no joke on ungulates.

This is why some of us advocate so hard for black bear hunting. It could make a very real difference, and the population is out of control

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah that is true but wolves kill for fun, I mean it wasn’t bears and lions that reduced Yellowstone's elk population from 22k to less then 2k in just a few years. All predators need managed and it sure seems like the anti’s have a soft spot for predators and could careless about the prey.

mt100gr.

WKR
I get that but grizz are not decimating deer, elk and moose like wolves have. I also agree it’s time for a grizz season but that isn’t going to happen they need to relocate them into their traditional areas with a good habitat for them since we can’t manage them, like San Francisco.
Not in the dramatic way that wolves do, I guess (and agree). But bears, both black and grizzled, slurp up calves and fawns like it's their job. And more bears need more food. These are the ungulates that never make the counts....

tdhanses

WKR
Not in the dramatic way that wolves do, I guess (and agree). But bears, both black and grizzled, slurp up calves and fawns like it's their job. And more bears need more food. These are the ungulates that never make the counts....
Very true

The wilderness areas and other rugged areas where wolves, lions, and bears co-exist with ungulates feel like a lost cause at this point. Unless the government opens up wilderness areas to snowmobiles in the winter to facilitate more efficient transportation, hunting/trapping wolves effectively is damn near impossible and the costs don't support the effort required.

OP
Jake Larsen
Yeah that is true but wolves kill for fun, I mean it wasn’t bears and lions that reduced Yellowstone's elk population from 22k to less then 2k in just a few years. All predators need managed and it sure seems like the anti’s have a soft spot for predators and could careless about the prey.

No question, the “Great Northern Herd” got smashed by wolves. I lived in Paradise Valley in those years and watched it happen. I also watched them lie about the numbers of wolves and where they were at.

The first wolf I saw outside Yellowstone National Park was in 2004, a big jet black. The drainages we were hunting at that time were 15-30 miles from the park border, and we saw tracks, heard howls, and saw wolves multiple times that year. It was almost 6 YEARS after that time period when we began seeing articles and debate amongst the biologists and “scientific community” that there MAYBE, possibly, could be the potential of a lone wolf leaving the park on occasion. By that time period, we had watched both the numbers and behavior of both the deer and elk populations change drastically in the areas we hunted, and knew of active wolf packs living in several drainages outside Yellowstone. Was it incompetence or purposeful misdirection on the part of the biologists? Who knows. The bottom line is, those of us who watched first hand how this stuff goes down, realized that any sort of scientific approach to management of these large predators is totally out the window. Seeing this firsthand has informed much of my opinion about so called “management” of the big predators.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jsad

FNG
I can't wrap my mind around why they would spend time, money, and manpower to do something that will occur naturally with the passage of time. The bears are expanding their range naturally, just like the wolves did.
heard from our game and fish in ND that bears are moving closer and closer to ND MT boarder, thats crazy