Hi y'all - first timer here

OP
Mike from MO
Mike from missouri, i enjoyed reading above as i am in the exact same situation other than i have chased whitetails in iowa for many years and not as much of a fanatic about fitness....yet. I am also a new member, done tons of reading on this site, and planning for a 2020 Rifle 1 hunt in colorado. Good luck!
Good luck to you as well!

OP
Mike from MO
What do you do for a living? Whatever it is do you think that someone who has never done it before could go online and study up enough to fill your position?

Hands on experience is the only way. Take great care in picking your area in hopes that your first hunt is an investment in future trips to the same place.

Buy the best gear you can afford but don’t go buying the best there is until you do your first hunt and make sure you’re going back for more.

Hope for the best and plan for the worst.

Sound advice, thank you! I am a financial advisor so your point about overconfidence is well taken; HOWEVER, if someone screwed up their financial planning, the consequences could be ruinous and permanent. In my case, the worst case outcome is I spend a week in my favorite state enjoying time with a buddy outdoors and still come away with valuable "education" towards the next hunt. As I mentioned, I do hike/backpack so I am not a total newb stepping into the woods for the first time. I lived in CO for a couple years and have typically spent 2-3 weeks in CO every year for the last 10 years, both warm and cold seasons. This will just be the first time I lug a rifle around with me :)

Thanks again to everyone for the warm welcomes and knowledge-sharing!

Mike from MO

Jmyers375

FNG
And another zombie on the internet stumbles in....yep same boat..I have been hunting white tales all my life ..”one day I will go out west and backcountry hunt..” at the ripe age of 45 a K9 police officer involved in several fence jumps and a bunch of bad guys it caught me... a fight for my life. After surgery and physical therapy back on the job...but bet your ass I’m headed to Colorado this year. Scoured the internet and google maps for the right OTC hunt and wonder which unit. Comes down to I live 36 hours away and have no clue what unit to pick. Buddy and I are going hot seat the truck 2 days before anyone have a suggestion?