High-end gear in the field

What gear other than your own have you NOT seen in the field?

• Sitka

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Kuiu

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • First lite

Votes: 8 12.7%
  • Kifaru

Votes: 35 55.6%
  • Stone Glacier

Votes: 38 60.3%
  • Seek Outside

Votes: 41 65.1%
  • FHF

Votes: 29 46.0%
  • AGC

Votes: 27 42.9%
  • Swarovski

Votes: 17 27.0%
  • Mystery Ranch

Votes: 26 41.3%

• Total voters
I was reading through a few threads earlier that got me thinking. Here on Rokslide, dozens of threads go in spirited debates about the best camo/clothes, bino harnesses, glass, backpacks, etc. And if you glance through a few insta-hunters pages, you'd think everybody had brand X <insert gear here>. But in my experience, it's not really all that common to run across random hunters in the field with high-end gear.

For example, I was at the kaibab for the yearly civil war reenactment early rifle hunt and it was way less common than I thought it would be.

In general, I see sitka fairly often, but kuiu is less common. First lite even less so. Realtree, King's, etc. are way more common. I've seen one person with a kifaru pack at an archery range, one with an Exo pack in the field, and a couple each of MR & kuiu packs (and those kuiu packs were 2 dudes that were YUGE brand loyalists by the looks of them). Bino harnesses aren't all that common but I see AGC and marsupial the most, I've never seen another person with an FHF.

I'm curious, what is everyone else's experience?

Seems like I learn from every hunt and then research what I think I need to make the next hunt better leading to the high end name brands. Having the original strap type bino harness and leaving my backpack behind, I learned real quick I needed a bino harness with ability to protect binos and have pockets to have a small amount of things needed available at all times.

Just my opinion, if you see a hunter with limited high end items they may be just getting started and buying as recognized as a need, and if you see a guy fully decked out in name brand he's very experienced or loaded with cash.

I see a lot of BassPro “Redhead” gear or stuff you can find at Big 5. That’s mostly when I’m driving past road hunters though.

Through the conservation work I do (desert bighorn sheep), I see a lot of Kuiu clothing. Kuiu seems to be the dominant brand for the “sheep hunter”. I haven’t been fortunate enough to be a sheep hunter yet and may be a decade or more before that is a possibility for me.

For my small group of buddies, Mystery Ranch dominates the packs. I’m partially to blame for that as I was the first one in our group to drop some coin on a real “hunting” pack. For clothing, we are all over the place. We all try to buy American, so you see some Sixsite gear and a lot of surplus Berry Compliant clothing on our crew.

Poser

WKR
I see it some. It’s not uncommon for locals to wear KUIU, FL and Sitka around town as casual wear, but, during the Fall, it’s far more common to see Realtree and Mossy Oak with an influx of NRs. I will on occasion see matching KUIU head to toe NRs, but it’s the exception by far.
When I do encounter locals out hunting, they tend to not be wearing much, if any camo, just solids that may or may not be hunting brands.

I have been surprised at the amount of jeans I have seen in the backcountry: heavy, carharts or similar in camo and not always accompanied horses either. Backpacks run the gamut, but Badlands or similar seem to be the most common with a surprising amount of old school frame packs, but also seems to be common to have both, so many guys apparently bring 2 packs.

I try not to be judgmental about the quality of one’s gear. I’ve seen guys with Walmart gear in hardcore locations. Head to toe, matching, high end brand loyalists tend to just have money to spend (I once talked to 2 KUIU fanboys from Texas who had not yet laid eyes on an elk after 5 years of hunting), that being said, you can you usually tell what’s what by a hunter’s appearance. For example, if they have a collection of different brands, seemingly chosen for very specific purposes and some or all of it is weathered, a boutique brand pack that is half the size or more of most other guys you see, good quality boots and look more athletic in appearance than chubby and round, they’re probably legit. I have yet to encounter that guy and he not be legit. See a guy wearing rubber/neoprene boots in the backcountry, and he doesn’t have a clue as to what the hell he is doing and he’s just bumbling around with sore feet.

Badland

FNG
I wear SKRE and have never seen anyone else in the field wear it. I've seen FL and Sitka quite a bit, KUIU a few times. I also have not been on any mountain hunts, this is all in badlands terrain in MT/ND. But still, the majority of guys are road hunting with Realtree or flannel on lol.

marktole

WKR
For example, I was at the kaibab for the yearly civil war reenactment early rifle hunt and it was way less common than I thought it would be.

That's hilarious.

I see kings camo when I am in AZ to hunt, never see it anywhere else. I run into some younger guys with some more of the high end gear it seems like. Clothing is the most noticed "high end" gear I see other hunters with. For me its been an even split of Sitka, Kuiu, FL, Kryptek, and whatever else.

I don't tend to see as many guys with the expensive Kifaru, MR, SG backpacks, or expensive alpha glass. Sometimes I encounter guys with brand new bows, sometimes a few years old. Just kind of depends.

I have been western hunting for 5 or 6 years now and have been able to get to where almost all the gear I have would be considered "high end," but its also my biggest hobby so I don't mind spending the cash on it. Sometimes I feel a little ridiculous when I meet guys at trail heads or where ever and I see them looking over my s**t because I have probably $6-7k worth of gear with me.

The head to toe matching camo makes me giggle. I don’t see that much high end gear in the field. I think there’s an interesting demographic here that for whatever reason really pushes expensive items that to me aren’t a great value. The mountaineering gear on sale is where the value is IMO.

I have recently bought some Kuiu to try out. I am typically wearing whatever I peice together as long as I am comfortable and warm. I have a hunt coming up in Alaska this year that I want to make sure I have the best clothing for unpredictable weather. We will see how it goes

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk

Diesel

WKR
I rarely see a hunter with all matched out gear during rifle deer season. Bow and turkey seasons much more prevalent. Very few carry high quality glass in the East, but more so in the West. Never see a Kifaru pack in the East probably because day hunts are the norm and weight is not the issue.

Bow hunters are ones I think are more into high end gear for all the "up close and long sits" reasons especially in the midwest and east. Also guys doing deep in pack hunts where weight is a big issue.

Quality gear is definitely not necessary to be successful, but it sure adds to the comfort level.

Mark S

FNG
alot of what has been said has been my experience also. It seems like in the east and midwest, where, it's mainly whitetail and turkey i see less high end camo/gear. In the west i tend to see much more - just my experience though.

This whole topic in general is interesting. Forums like this bring like minded people together. Then you get this group think and circle jerks over particular things and you would believe it's main stream. Truth is this forum reaches such a small portion of hunters. I see way more gear from the local store shelves than I see from the high end companies in the field.

Dingus

FNG
I see Kuiu often, but I am less than 45 miles from their HQ. I see a lot of Sitka gear while duck hunting and a split between Sitka and Kuiu while hunting big game. I see very little FL. The most prevalent gear is the realtree and mossy oak pattern that can be found anywhere.

Whatever fits your budget is the best. Gear has very little to do with success in the field.

jmez

WKR
I see mostly Kuiu for clothing and some Sitka. Both out of state and local. Really don't see a lot of cheap clothing anymore.

Packs, Badlands probably be the most common I see with a few SG and Kifaru.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

OP
canyonhunter47
Inverse relationship to high end gear and distance from the trailhead In my experience.
I’ve noticed this too. But occasionally I’ve still seen guys in camo jeans, heavy jackets and work boots way out there lol.
This whole topic in general is interesting. Forums like this bring like minded people together. Then you get this group think and circle jerks over particular things and you would believe it's main stream. Truth is this forum reaches such a small portion of hunters. I see way more gear from the local store shelves than I see from the high end companies in the field.
Rokslide is definitely a ‘geared’ to the gear geeks. Alot of the sponsorships that support this site ultimately come from sales of expensive gear. And in no way am I saying that’s bad, I say this having purchased some myself.

Some things are overhyped for sure, but appropriate clothes layering, good packs, quality boots and decent glass absolutely make a huge difference imho

I started from the bottom with hand-me-down camo from my dad and cousins. Growing up in MN, all we had was mil surplus fatigues or some sort of scentlok/scentblocker available at cabelas. I have slowly started upgrading my gear and i have to say, you get what you pay for. definitely makes a difference in my experiences so far. I do mostly archery hunting so these things could change for me.

VernAK

WKR
It seems relative to the challenge and expense of the hunt.
Visit Fast Eddie's in Tok during dall sheep season and you'll see a marvelous display of the most expensive brands.
Fly-in moose and caribou hunters are usually wearing a lesser amount of the spendy gear while the moose/caribou ATV hunters are so mudded up it's difficult to tell what they wear.

In the field isn't the place to evaluate what hunters are using. In Alaska I'd recommend anyone do a milk run of the hotels in town during season. You'll see guys dressed to the nines in their finest high-dollar, high-tech, highly-breathable clothes. Their luggage cart will have their backpacks and gear bags. I know all this because you can find me there at some point....though I do try not to be conspicuous, lol.

Around here the place to see the latest gear is the Walmart runway parking lot. Lots of Realtree and Mossy Oak....not much SItka or other primo-wear.

Whatever Vern wears is good stuff, because I've never been able to spot him in all my travels. :ROFLMAO: 😋

Fireman03

Lil-Rokslider
I see a lot of BassPro “Redhead” gear or stuff you can find at Big 5. That’s mostly when I’m driving past road hunters though.

Through the conservation work I do (desert bighorn sheep), I see a lot of Kuiu clothing. Kuiu seems to be the dominant brand for the “sheep hunter”. I haven’t been fortunate enough to be a sheep hunter yet and may be a decade or more before that is a possibility for me.

For my small group of buddies, Mystery Ranch dominates the packs. I’m partially to blame for that as I was the first one in our group to drop some coin on a real “hunting” pack. For clothing, we are all over the place. We all try to buy American, so you see some Sixsite gear and a lot of surplus Berry Compliant clothing on our crew.
"Driving "🤣🤣🤣