high fence whitetail

LostArra

WKR
The company my daughter used to work for does mitigation permitting usually wetlands but sometimes endangered species. The company bought a high fence ranch in SE Oklahoma for mitigation permits because it had some habitat for an endangered beetle. Part of the permitting process with USFW and Corps of Engineers was to remove any exotics which were red deer.

My daughter and I got to hunt a couple of times for red deer hinds and any feral hogs. That ranch is 3500 acres of rolling oak forests and rocky hills. Yes, it's high fenced but those red deer kicked our butts. We only saw them a few times and never got a shot. That is my only high fence hunt but it was no livestock killing and I don't know if they ever got the red deer eliminated.

My point is that after that experience I had a different view of what high fence means. Sure a 40 acre field with 270 inch freak whitetails isn't a hunt but it doesn't mean all high fence operations are captive kills. Scale is important. Is Kodiak island or Prince of Wales the same as a high fence? There are high fence hunting ranches in Texas probably larger than some elk units in Colorado.

To answer op's question: no I don't know any but would suggest asking the question on Texasbowhunter.com

Scale is important. Is Kodiak island or Prince of Wales the same as a high fence?
Kodiak Island: 2,300,804 acres
POW Island: 1,649,282 acres
...not quite apples to apples. Yes, scale is important.

There are high fence hunting ranches in Texas probably larger than some elk units in Colorado.
There are ranches in Texas bigger than CO units, but their high fence sections are a small fraction of their property. 8' fence aint cheap! Looks like there are only a handful over 10k acres in the state. Plus that area shrinks way down when you control the water and attractive food sources in an arid environment.

Elkangle

WKR
Kodiak Island: 2,300,804 acres
POW Island: 1,649,282 acres
...not quite apples to apples. Yes, scale is important.

There are ranches in Texas bigger than CO units, but their high fence sections are a small fraction of their property. 8' fence aint cheap! Looks like there are only a handful over 10k acres in the state. Plus that area shrinks way down when you control the water and attractive food sources in an arid environment.

How many high fence hunts have you been on ?

I know of a high fence place with some big whitetails in Texas. Owner is a good guy. It's not a challenging hunt really, but if you're interested shoot me a DM. I go there to shoot pigs and exotics sometimes. High fences are pretty common here.

ArcherAnthony

Lil-Rokslider
I would suggest looking in Texas Hunting Forum. I’m on there and a lot of ranches post on there as well.

How many high fence ranches have you hunted?

How many high fence hunts have you been on ?

Zero, because I have zero interest and can fund years of western hunts for the price of one 130lb Texas whitetail. Like I said, inform us of the attraction if it’s more than just the apparent pay to play, guaranteed success, shoot a genetically enhanced deer over corn or water experience.

Then inform us please. What’s the attraction of a high dollar menu hunt?

Vast majority of States’ whitetails arent migratory. Habitat, densities and ration dictate home areas. Home/core area could be a low of 700 acres to a high of 1600 acres, if your property exceeds home area, then you have ability to say animal will never see the fence deterrent.

The next question is how does it affect yearling buck dispersal? Depending again on habitat, ratios’ and densities, Yearling buck dispersal is 1.2-4.3 miles. Most dispersal is less then <2.

Most places that are HF are about keeping the fridge property area’s dispersal out, not in.

Irony is most HF owners are not just consumptive hunters that just shoots deer because they have a tag, they typically have a much closer relation and more intune perspective of all the wildlife and habitat on their property. They are also doing browse studies, caring capacity studies, habitat improvement, fawning grass implementation, roll chopping for quail, and other things that benefits all species using the property.

Im sure this is all lost to you, and you dont care, but i do find the vocal Anti HF guys are typically the most one sided consumptive wild life uses who give nothing back but tag fees.

Zero, because I have zero interest and can fund years of western hunts for the price of one 130lb Texas whitetail. Like I said, inform us of the attraction if it’s more than just the apparent pay to play, guaranteed success, shoot a genetically enhanced deer over corn or water experience.

Exactly like I said, you are criticizing something you know absolutely nothing about.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Most HF arent releasing deer, most are focusing on things like I
mention above, so instead of a 130 lb they have 230lb + mature deer.

Ironically those properties you hate are most likey in the MLD program, A state program that awards a 5 month hunting season for intense Biologist oversight and objectives in relation to herd health(carry capacity, Ratio’s, age structure etc.

Again I know all if this doesnt matter to you. You only look at costs, but what western state has a 5 month season?