Highcamp reviews

This may give you another idea what the Highcamp looks like in day pack mode.

I didn't have it compressed down as tight as it could be and the bulk that you see on the bottom is due to the large belt pocket that was placed there (it makes it look bulkier than it truly is).

TheRambler

Lil-Rokslider
I like it thanks guys. How is it for circulation on your back? That is one thing I like about my current pack. It has some openings that allow my back to not be soaked in sweat.

I found my highcamp and bikini to be fairly cool on the back. Much better than my old Osprey Aether anyway. I think that the external frame itself and the large lumbar pad on kifaru packs help with good airflow.

OP
trk3263

trk3263

WKR
You guys are all great. Although this site makes me spend more money it also saves me a butt load due to not having to trial and error so much.

Currently I am deciding between the BT2 and High Camp. Although I have time to decide. I also will be talking with Aron in the near future.

cmeier117

WKR
I don't have my High camp yet but I have a dt1 and T2. I only have two small waist belt pouches but I am looking forward to getting some Large waist belt pockets and I like the idea of being able to take them off if I don't want them there and use them as ditty bags. If you get the UL ones they really don't add a lot of weight.

OP
trk3263

trk3263

WKR
Yea that's my thought on the High Camp. I can run it bare bone or stack it full of pockets that can easily be removed and left at camp as gear organizing/protection.

cmeier117

WKR
If you added 4 large belt pouches the pack volume would be over 8,000 cu inches. If you had the long hunter lid it would over 9,000 cu inches. Why I would need that much I have no idea, But for some guys or longer trips that could be nice. I may be hunting for 10+ days this year and I could see having a little extra cu inches being nice but even more so having room to put gear when I have the bag full of meat. Just so I don't have to worry about a compression strap breaking something when I suck the load down.

MattB

WKR
I found my highcamp and bikini to be fairly cool on the back. Much better than my old Osprey Aether anyway. I think that the external frame itself and the large lumbar pad on kifaru packs help with good airflow.

That was my experience as well, which is a really nice benefit.

OP
trk3263

trk3263

WKR
If you added 4 large belt pouches the pack volume would be over 8,000 cu inches. If you had the long hunter lid it would over 9,000 cu inches. Why I would need that much I have no idea, But for some guys or longer trips that could be nice. I may be hunting for 10+ days this year and I could see having a little extra cu inches being nice but even more so having room to put gear when I have the bag full of meat. Just so I don't have to worry about a compression strap breaking something when I suck the load down.

That is interesting you mention the Longhunter lid. Is it possible to use the Longhunter or the XTL lid on the High Camp? The website doesn't offer these options with the High camp so I assumed it wouldn't attach?

cmeier117

WKR
That is interesting you mention the Longhunter lid. Is it possible to use the Longhunter or the XTL lid on the High Camp? The website doesn't offer these options with the High camp so I assumed it wouldn't attach?

I think the opening on the high camp is bigger than the DT bags so you might be correct. I bet you could attach it though it might look funny but I bet it goes on there just fine. Kinda like they don't recommend the lids for the DT3 bag but it works.

OP
trk3263

trk3263

WKR
That makes sense. Just thinking about other daypack options if I eventually put a different lid on.

I don't see why they wouldn't attach. Pretty sure any lid fits any Kifaru DT or Highcamp bag.

Currently I am deciding between the BT2 and High Camp. Although I have time to decide. I also will be talking with Aron in the near future.

I personally like the HC bag better than the Timberline as it is a more modualr design. You have the ability to add the pockets you want or do not want.

MY Bikini/HC Set up has 2 large hip belt pockets on the sides, 2 large ultra light pockets on the back and 1 small hip belt pocket on the left side of my belt. I also have one chamber pocket on the inside. I went with the same pack as the proto I used. It has black webbing and is coyote brown. I really like the bag and forsee it getting a lot of use this year.

slim9300

WKR
I prefer the fixed pockets of the Timberline series. I never see myself needing less pockets since I use them all of the time. I am not a huge fan of having an upgraded lid however (other than something there to hold everything down in the standard). I know Aron likes it to hold all his clothing accessible. I just put mine in the main compartment last when packing and it takes me a second longer to get access. Just my .02

my timberline just got here to replace my longhunter bag, loaded it all up yesterday and im overrun with organization, very good for my OCD.
im going to try the standard lid a bit but typically i like a lid with a pocket as i like to put my food in there

i must add, that thing is HUGE! i had no idea. the pictures dont do it justice!
for all you guys that have never handled a 7000ci pack, holding the snow collar at my chest the pack will touch the ground....

cmeier117

WKR
I personally like the HC bag better than the Timberline as it is a more modualr design. You have the ability to add the pockets you want or do not want.

MY Bikini/HC Set up has 2 large hip belt pockets on the sides, 2 large ultra light pockets on the back and 1 small hip belt pocket on the left side of my belt. I also have one chamber pocket on the inside. I went with the same pack as the proto I used. It has black webbing and is coyote brown. I really like the bag and forsee it getting a lot of use this year.

This is exactly how mine will be set up eventually. But I may get 2 medium ones for the sides. But I think the UL ones are the way to go.

wapitibob

WKR
Think I figured out how to load mine finally. This is everything I take for a full days hunt plus I threw in the pouch and grab-it. Just the tent, pad, and bag remain. I think two columns of gear, one on each side of the bladder would work better but I'll have to find a cpl bags for that. Everything but the bladder, game bags and gaiters are in the yellow stuff sack.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php