Hip replacement and hunting

Huntchic

FNG
I just finally got hip replacement surgery at VA last week. I decided that it likely makes any serious western mountain backpacking hunts out for this year.
However I still going to try to whitetail deer hunt. NC mountains and PA mountains. Hopefully I can backpack in hunt or at least day hunt. Has anyone had this surgery and how soon could you backpack hunt or use a climbing stand?

Macintosh

WKR
No personal experience, but I had two climbing partners who had hip replacements done and were relatively quickly (a few months??) a LOT more mobile than they were before. Good luck!

OP
Huntchic

Huntchic

FNG
Thanks Macintosh,
I sure hope so. It’s been a week and I’m going crazy now.

OldDog

FNG
Classified Approved
I have had both hips done. The procedures are much better now. First hip was done about 16 years ago and at that time they did it from the back - recovery time was longer due to the muscles involved / cut for the procedure. I don't recall how long it took for me to be up to full speed for that one. My second hip replaement was done about 5 years ago and they went in thru the front. Recovery time was much quicker. I had the surgery 1st week of July and was hunting the Missouri Breaks by the end of October. Not exactly a mountain backpack hunt but the breaks aren't a walk in the park either if you get after it.
The first week is the worst - hang in there and good luck with your hunt.

OP
Huntchic

Huntchic

FNG
Well OldDog they went in on right side towards the back. Told me it was so they didn’t have to cut muscles n recover faster. It’s been 1 week n 2 days and agreed it’s better n I can get around some ok. Been handloading n working on gear. Muzzle loader starts OCT 31 almost 2 months from date of surgery. I’m hopeful I’ll be able to get out little before hand and be fully functional by then. Least maybe carry n use a climbing stand. If nothing else I’ll have to work from the ground.

Billinsd

WKR
I’m a candidate for hip surgery and gotten a couple referrals in the last year or two. The back of hip is a much quicker surgery and therefore much less chance of infection. Also, the surgeon can actually see what he’s doing in the back. Only downside is more muscles cut in the back and a little longer recovery time. Very few surgeons do the front in practice, maybe one or two in San Diego. Have to take it easy and be very careful for three months after surgery, and do rehab. Backpacking, climbing treestands? At least 3 months after surgery. That’s what two of the highest rated surgeons in San Diego told me. I don’t know what VA surgeons recommend, but I’d get a second opinion from a reputable surgeon.

I have had both of mine done using the posterier access. I was bed to chair for a week. Then walking for 5 weeks but careful to not push too far. At 8 weeks I was hunting but on horseback. It took nearly 3 months to get strength but lacked endurance.Between 31/2 to 4 months I was up and running and had some endurance.

SArnold30

FNG
Classified Approved
I’m a PT and one of the variables here is the approach they used. I’ve found slightly quicker recoveries when they enter from the front or side. I’d be realistic and expect 3-4 months before you’ve regained solid functional strength/endurance of the hip.

Sounds like you’re a posterior approach. For the sake of conservative management, the motion of bringing hip to trunk that you’d need to climb a stand MIGHT still present a risk of dislocation in the timeframe you’re stating. However, FWIW, most of the surgeons I interact with are pretty confident in their prosthesis being solidified after 6 weeks.

OP
Huntchic

Huntchic

FNG
Thanks gentlemen. I’ve been upfront with the surgeon about my love and desire to hike and hunt. I spent 2 years of surgery cancellations due to number things so when they said they could get me in in two weeks or wait till January I went for the 2 weeks knowing it would make this season likely limited. After some rough and painful late season hunts last year pushing through some serious pain and problems at times I couldn’t make it safely this year. I m an older lady fit and outgoing I also hunt alone last few years so need to be strong n healthy because it’s all on me.
I’ll do what I can safely this year and be ready next year for all goes.

OP
Huntchic

Huntchic

FNG
The Surgeon told me it would take time and I would have to be careful for a few months. I am doing physical therapy and will take what I can get this year.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I had mine done in April of 22, I was good to go in about four weeks. Not out running in the Mt. but good enough to go out on the ocean tuna fishing. My wife was concerned about the rocking of the boat, but Dr. told her if I felt like I had the strength back, he didn't think there was any problem. If you can get around with confidence, go for it.

OP
Huntchic

Huntchic

FNG
Thanks Gsphunter
That’s why I reached out and asked everyone here. Know everyone is different but wanted to get an idea what I might expect to be able to do and how soon.

BadDogPSD

WKR
I have had both of mine done using the posterier access. I was bed to chair for a week. Then walking for 5 weeks but careful to not push too far. At 8 weeks I was hunting but on horseback. It took nearly 3 months to get strength but lacked endurance.Between 31/2 to 4 months I was up and running and had some endurance.
My recovery was similar when I had my right hip done last year. I hope to get my left hip done soon.

OP
Huntchic

Huntchic

FNG
Update. Complete hip replacement of hip bone and cup.
First week was pretty rough. Basically used walker and was in pain doing much.
At 7 days I turned a corner, parked the walker and went to cane. At ten days I went shopping at Walmart and 2 grocery stores on same day using cane or the pushcart. Basically did number of 1/2 -3/4 day shopping trips grocery, bass pro and reloading store by end of second week. Have spent a lot of time handling and testing bullets I’ve always wanted to try. Keeping busy.
Been doing physical therapy twice a week since week 1 and 2 days ago I was told I was doing so well that was no need to continue with therapy.
Today I pretty much spent around home and didn’t use cane or anything. Tomorrow will be exactly 3 weeks from surgery so going to continue to do alot of walking and hopefully week 4 I can do some light load scouting for muzzle loader deer season starting last weekend of this month.
My post op Dr appointment was told everything looked extremely good and physical therapy said I was about 1-2 weeks ahead of norm so no more therapy was need. I was told at first post op that I wasn’t to drive, walk on uneven ground like hiking for 6 weeks min. Also no portable tree stand or dragging carry deer for like 6 months.
Well I’m definitely a hard headed lady and know my body pretty good so will see how things go with all that. I have ruled out any kind of western, Alaska type hunting trips till maybe next year but pretty sure I’ll be in the NC woods deer hunting with muzzle loader and rifle. Might have to hunt spots closer and maybe even from ground but will let my body decide. Hopefully I can pack in for couple day hunting and carefully us a stand by rifle season.

IDLassie

Lil-Rokslider
Huntchic, don't push it! You might be in better shape and feel okay but be extremely careful lifting weight.
Neighbor had his hip done last Dec. By April/May felt great started woodcutting with the other half. They cut some big red fir this spring. He has had pain and could barely walk. Just a week ago the surgeon went back in to take the stitches out they thought hadn't went away. Turns out they had and he had ripped the muscle from all the heavy lifting. He's back to square one. No heavy lifting for him for a year now. We won't let him.

We tend to push too fast when feeling better. It's always taken me a good year to fully recover from surgeries.
Two knees, right hip and right shoulder.

Good luck don't push it. It'll all be there next fall.

OP
Huntchic

Huntchic

FNG
Understand. I appreciate that information. Figured in couple weeks I should be able to safely walk into rather easy places for day hunts from the ground. Far cry from how I like to hunt but least I’ll be out in the woods and make my soul happy even if I don’t see or get anything. Used to hunt with a guy I was in Marines with on his family farm in Nc but last year before deer season his dad passed and land was sold. So last season I had to hunt public lands and hiked way in and overnight camped. This year I’m still going to have to do public land but going to start out n plan on a couple places that are short pretty easy walks and hunt from ground. See how it goes for first couple weeks. Again, I’ll least be out in the woods.

IDLassie

Lil-Rokslider
Take it easy and don't fall on the replaced hip.
I hear you about being out. It does the soul good.
Good luck be careful for the future hunts.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Thank you. Yes don’t fall is a biggie no no.
I was told just letting myself fall into my recliner was a big NO. I was letting myself down and lost my balance and went down kind of hard. PT told me I could throw new hip out by doing that. Not something you want to do, so he said.

TaperPin

WKR
Well OldDog they went in on right side towards the back. Told me it was so they didn’t have to cut muscles n recover faster. It’s been 1 week n 2 days and agreed it’s better n I can get around some ok. Been handloading n working on gear. Muzzle loader starts OCT 31 almost 2 months from date of surgery. I’m hopeful I’ll be able to get out little before hand and be fully functional by then. Least maybe carry n use a climbing stand. If nothing else I’ll have to work from the ground.
My wife just had hers done 8 weeks ago and she healed up faster than most. It was probably 5 weeks before she could walk a full two miles. At 6 weeks it was her final checkup and release to do whatever she felt like, except for biking or impact sports for a year.

You may feel just fine, but the bone wont have completely grown around the impact for full strength for a number of months. The surgeon cautioned that falls are the most likely cause of a new fracture, and if that happens and the bone splits where it wraps around the bone a number of bad things, very bad things, can and do happen. I worked with a guy who had a bone infection from a break - it’s true, very bad things can happen because of it.